PDA

View Full Version : When buying a vehicle???

chucked
01-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Im buying a truck from a dealer, he says I will need proof of insurance to take it off the lot, does this mean I have to get insurance on it before I can take it, or will I just need to show im proof of my current insurance??

Aceman
01-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Seems to me you just show him you have insurance on other vehicles. I'm not sure but don't insurance companies cover you when you buy a new rig and drive it home? Even if you haven't officially insured it yet? I know people walk into dealerships, buy a car and drive it home so I seriously doubt people take the time to get insurance first before driving it off the lot. Another example would be buying a car on the weekend, insurance companies aren't even open. I'd just show them you have insurance.

Honda4trax250x
01-08-2005, 04:11 PM
i had to insure mine before i went to pick it up

chucked
01-08-2005, 07:46 PM
hmm...

bansheeguy77
01-08-2005, 08:04 PM
yeah you need insurance before you pick it up. because if you go get it, and say wreck it on your way home. you have no insurance on the vehicle and the dealership can get in trouble i believe.

derekhonda
01-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Most car dealerships have insurance on their cars regardless if they are sitting on the lot or going for a test drive.

Also, I do not believe (in Indiana anyways) that you need to insure it the minute you leave the dealership. I think as long as you have other cars insured or something and say that you were going to get insurance on this car through the same company they will cover you.