PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs YFZ

Yamaha350x
01-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I am going to be buying a new quad soon before March for MX season.

Anyways, I cant decide between a 450r or a YFZ. Im leaning towards the 450r though because of its bigger size compared to the YFZ.

What do you think would be best for me? I am 5' 10" or maybe 11" and I weight around 185lbs. I am a pretty good rider and my current quad right now is a modded 400ex which I like, but want something better for MX.

They both will be mainly stock except for MX tires, pro pegs, front bumper, handlebars, exhaust, airfilter, wide rear grab bar, hoodscoop, and number plates.

The type of riding that I will be doing is mainly MX, some trail riding/hill climbing, and maybe crossing some little streams. What do you think would be better for me and why?

Thanks.

Scro
01-08-2005, 01:06 PM
if your not going to change the suspension, i would go with the yfz because it is setup more for the track from the factory with a lower stance

twisted threads
01-08-2005, 01:48 PM
I think either one is a great choice. Go to the dealer and sit on bot bikes and get which one you feel better on. They are both about the same speed so.

Yamaha350x
01-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I mean its going to be mostly stock except for those things I listed until I get some more money. I will get shocks, a-arms, axle, etc. Just have to save up more money first.

lrdyfz45021
01-08-2005, 08:34 PM
I would also pick the yfz450 if you was going to stay mostly stock for mx. You can lower the quad about 1-1 1/2" buy adjusting the shocks all the way down. Im the same size rider that you are and thats how i rode mine until i got the suspension and everything and it never bottomed out on the track. But far as off the track i felt the honda had better shocks for the trails. The yfz shocks will beat you to death trail riding unless your riding fast. The faster you go the better they work.

steveatv3
01-08-2005, 09:17 PM
honda

more reliable, better all around quad not just track. and when u want it for a track just set it up for it and go like hell.

I had a 440ex that was pimped and i have the 450R that has the same stuff. today i went out riding just in a field for some friendly riding with my buddys to see what the R was made of. one buddy had a kx250, kfx400, and a 400ex and it was no contest i was using them as road cones, and off the line they were dust. but look at my sig. and see the engine work mine has

01-08-2005, 09:42 PM
if your really serious about MX then get the YFZ but if you want a more reliable quad & are just play riding MX and trails then definately get the TRX

woodside83
01-09-2005, 06:03 AM
i have both quads when i had them stock the yfz was the best at mx, and if you are going for mx the yfz is what you want. my friend has a 400ex with a yz motor in it and i would run off and leave him no problem

WhiteZee
01-09-2005, 12:14 PM
i would go with the yfz, its more suited for mx, plus you can do the cam mod for free.

beak7707
01-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
if your really serious about MX then get the YFZ but if you want a more reliable quad & are just play riding MX and trails then definately get the TRX

I agree with that, the yfz was built to run mx.