PDA

View Full Version : removing decals from vehicles

Alberta_Qaudin
01-08-2005, 09:34 AM
k so i have an 01' sonoma extreem but the origional owner did mods to it including a decal package i think is way to big and looks cheap, i do like how he took off the ground effects lowered it and put on a step bar though.

so anyways question being after 3-4 years of the decals being on the pains around is gunna be faded, so what can i do to make it not noticable where the decal was...buffing? or just wait it out till it fades evenly?

this is the truck as it is now

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p032711a9bb2c3fabd4154be85c331169/f625d0c4.jpg

dirt308
01-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I think you might be able to buff it out. One of my friends and I were buffing a couple kids cars over the summer and got all the body pannels pretty even.

TheFontMaster
01-08-2005, 10:11 AM
To get the stickers off use a high temp blow dryer, not one that is used on people, but spesialty(sp) ones. They reach up to almost 200 degrees. That will cause the stickers to loose thier takiness, and you can gently pry them off with a razor blade, be verry carfull not to scratch the paint. As for the fading, The stickers are in a spot where less light gets to the paint, so there may be verry little difference in the fading. If there is try wet sanding the paint with 1500 grit sand paper and then buff it with a power buffer. When sanding it be very carefull not to go all the way through the clear coat. If you do it will be a costly repair.

Alberta_Qaudin
01-08-2005, 11:19 AM
actually never thought of the low light down there, thats a really good point, my other thought was beings i'm in canada and all with the sun reflecting off the snow and the sand on the raods it might be good to get them off now and see how much the fade evens out over the winter....thanks alot for the info.

oh and where i work we actually have a preasure steamer for removing decals ect. so taking it off isnt going to be a problem at all

LazeR
01-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I heard you can use a regular hair dryer and get them off....i wouldnt recommend using a razor blade to scrap it off

Stevie-D
01-08-2005, 12:04 PM
use an eraser wheel to remove the decals

Got nads?
01-08-2005, 04:53 PM
After you take the decals off, you can get your truck power polished, this usually removes any shadowing on the paint. Auto Details in edmonton does pretty good work, I had my truck done there, and the before and after results were amazing.