PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter

nwi45
01-08-2005, 09:28 AM
What are you guys thoughts on running K&N's for motorcross? Would it be a good idea to use an outerwear? Thanks.

exrider200
01-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Your better off running a UNI. IMO

nacs400ex
01-09-2005, 08:45 AM
I would rather use a foam style filter. Such as UNI, Twinair, etc..

wilkin250r
01-10-2005, 11:18 AM
You'll hear people say they have found dust in their intake boot after using K&N filters. Honestly, I think most problems with K&N filters are due to improper oil.

With a foam filter like the UNI and a spray-type oil, you coat the filter smoothly and evenly. The technique is very similar to spray-paint. With a K&N, that same technique won't work, it will leave the bottom of the pleats dry. Unfortunately, the bottom of the pleats is also where most of the air comes through. The technique for applying oil to a K&N filter is very different than for a foam filter, and I think that is where most people have problems.

I run in some of the most god-awful dusty conditions in the dry Nevada desert. I often have to clean the dust off the inside of my goggles several times a day, and I still have never found any dust in my intake.

Personally, as far as power goes, I don't think you're going to see a noticable difference in a K&N vs foam, I just wanted to dispel the myths about K&N filters.

And yes, I think an outerwear is a good idea.

zedicus00
01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
i agree with wilk. its all in how u oil it. with a k&n go the direction of the pletes when u r oiling it. o and an outer ware is a good idea. ive seen dust on the inside of my intake boot but it was becuz i overtitened the band clamp on the airfilter and crushed the plastic housing. invest in a 15$ billet retainer ring.

beak7707
01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
I used to run K&N but switched to UNI. UNI's are much cheaper and alot easier to maintain. And it's not like you are gonna notice a power difference just with an air filter. I would save 20 bucks and run a foam type filter.

nwi45
01-10-2005, 01:55 PM
What is the diffrence in oiling techniques? I would rather stick with the K&N because its already on the quad. Later.

slick250
01-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Everyone I know that runs K&N (including myself) notices dust in the intake after riding at the dunes, no matter how heavy the oiling of the filter. We all agree though, that the K&N outperforms the foam by a very slight margin, and that is why we stick with them. Dont get me wrong...nothing wrong at all with foam!

big bad beny
01-17-2005, 09:36 AM
get a UNI. the K&N flows to much air there for it lets dirt and gret get threw the filterand in to the motor. its not from inproper oling.

P.S. Ride Red and Ride Hard

JTRtrx250r
01-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I ran K&N's for 10 yrs, used all the products w/ them, I can alomost buy 2 UNI filters for the price of a K&N, both good filters, but the "clean and re-use " deal only works a few times b4 the element shrinks and creates holes big enough for sand to pass thru,

Now I run foam UNI's and find nothing in the boot after cleaning/washing 6-8 times, I got the rings and even use grease to help seal the lip of the filter and boot so nothing gets thru

TO EACH HIS OWN!

That dont mean I wont run K&N's anymore..., just means Im using another filter for the time being and am happy w/ it

Both style filters suck in the cleaning dept IMO,

proper oil/pre-wrap/maintainence is key to any filter

(for the 764632762765443 th time:D )