PDA

View Full Version : 450R and Snow

Punk'd
01-07-2005, 08:46 PM
OMG this thing is awesome in snow. Iv never had so much fun in my life. Sorry its our first snow of the season in St. Louis! But wow I was doin doughnuts and spinnin out around my circle in my subdavision (sp?) like crazy! Share your storys with this thing in snow:D

450Rkid
01-07-2005, 10:25 PM
dude the first night when we unloaded it off the trailor there was about 6inches of powder if you want to go fast make real wide turns other wise this machine is better than any other sport quad ive owned between a blaster Z250 my friends 250ex this one is the best

SUPERBEAST
01-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Do you have to stud your tires?

Matt400ex_17
01-08-2005, 09:04 AM
yes fun, you got watch ice i has blown up both my 400ex and 300ex on ice from over reving it!!! If you wanna have even more get a set of paddles.

04trx450R
01-08-2005, 10:53 AM
It is a great bike in the snow, you only need to stud your tires if you do a lot of ice riding, I ride on a lake all winter so for me studding is a deffinant, I recomend the pro gold ice screws over the kold kutters or original gold scres, they have a wider thread and are less likely to pull out

SUPERBEAST
01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Can you stud the stock tires? If so how many studs per nob, and for the front as well? I live in northern Cananda so there is no shortage of ice and snow in the winter.

04trx450R
01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeas you can stud the stock tires, depending on how much tread you have left, use 1/2 to 1 inch screws,,, you have to experiment with where you place the studs, usually about 2 screws per knob is good, stagger them so there not side by side,,,, then if you want more traction you can go with more,,,, also remember doing the very side knobs is basically useless, concentrate on the center three or four rows, when I get mine all done I'll post some pics,,,,,,, everyone does it different, I like mine to get good acceleration but still be able to do nice controlled slides, some people go crazy with like 300 screws in on4e tire, I think thats just overkill,,, I usually can get by with 500 screws for all four tires

SUPERBEAST
01-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanx, pics would be great!!

04trx450R
01-10-2005, 07:41 PM
OK, well, I will be doing my stock tires within the next week, I'll post pics when I do,,,,,

MIA450R
01-10-2005, 08:53 PM
I bought a bag of 1000 ice-racing screws (1/2"), and I think I used 3/4 of the bag on all 4 tires, with much more on the rears than the fronts. Lower the air pressure in your tires a bit to get a little more traction without getting too much sidewall flex.

Mess around with how many. Bring a cordless screw gun with you to a lake or whatever, and bomb around and see how much traction you get. The difference between a handful of screws per tire and 200-300 per tire is amazing. Fully controllable 5th gear powerslides are easy with the right amount of screws based on the ice conditions. Note that ice racing screws are WAY more sharp & grippy than plain old sheet metal screws.

Just BE CAREFUL not to put too many on the rears. Too much torque from traction in the ice can actually result in a bent/damaged frame or swingarm parts. When it actually becomes hard to break the back end loose on the ice is when you prob have too many screws in there.