PDA

View Full Version : low on atf

nosliw
01-07-2005, 06:02 PM
i just ran my car around up to opertating temp to check the atf. the dipstick said about 3/8 to 1/2 below the add line. now, while i was out driving, it felt like it didnt have the acceleration that it did before (but maybe that's cause i've been driving my diesel truck around lately). would being a little low on the auto trans fluid affect performance?

LazeR
01-07-2005, 06:08 PM
dont think it would affect performance, just would make your transmission heat up. Make sure the ATF doesnt smell burnt....If it does change it!

Aceman
01-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes it would affect performance. I have an older Chevy pickup, when it gets low it doesn't like to shift and has a hard time accelerating, like the transmission is slipping.

nosliw
01-07-2005, 06:25 PM
the atf isnt bad or anything, i just recently changed it. i just lost a little when i took out the radiator and wanted to know exactly how much.

so which one is it; i lose performance or not. ;) :D

Aceman
01-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Lose performance.:) So with my 2 votes against his 1 vote, I win.:D :blah:

nosliw
01-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Lose performance.:) So with my 2 votes against his 1 vote, I win.:D :blah:

sounds fair to me. now i can tell my friends that my car isn't underpowered, i'm just too lazy to top off with the tranny fluids :p

bulkdriverlp
01-07-2005, 08:21 PM
you dont have to drive it anyplace, just move the gears around with ur foot on the brake. thats not that low, it shouldnt effect performance

kicken250x
01-07-2005, 08:36 PM
yep, it will make the tranny slip more than it should. if i were you id go to the auto zone or something of that sort and buy me some tranny fluid if i were you, itll over heat it and possibly burn your clutch packs up... thats never any fun

LazeR
01-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I stand corrected :blah: I just asked my dad and he says that most likely it could cause a lack of acceleration because it is slipping.

nosliw
01-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
you dont have to drive it anyplace, just move the gears around with ur foot on the brake. thats not that low, it shouldnt effect performance

to get an accurate reading i've always been told to warm it up a little bit.

also, i dont even need to put my foot on the brake :p

1967 pontiac tempest