PDA

View Full Version : I come in peace.. I just bought a YFZ

Don400EX
01-06-2005, 09:52 PM
I have had my 400 EX for a month or 2... (havnt had a dirt bike, or off road toy in 10 years) and have not been real happy with the power that this thing puts to the ground.
I went off the deep end and bought a YFZ 450.
I am a honda fan.. but I must say.. this quad is a freak.
I am going to guess that my YFZ has a minimum of 50% more acceleration, if not MORE.
My YFZ is stock, the EX400 has White bros FULL pipe, and K&N filter.
Anyway, I am not sure if I am gonna keep the 2003 EX 400 and let my girlfriend ride it.. I guess it depends on if I get any offers to sell it.

I havnt had the YFZ out in the trails yet, but so far I can tell that the power is incredible, the turning radias seems to be superior.
I am not flaming and dont expect to receive any.

Don
2004 YFZ 450
2003 EX 400
2001 Harley Road King
Strats, Tele's, Les Pauls and a few Marshalls

gearhead400
01-06-2005, 10:40 PM
lol damn. I heard nothing but good stuff about the 400ex, i go out and buy a brand new one and all of a sudden they are at the low end of the quad rating. lol guess its a good start bike for my first sport though, and besides i love it. :D

congrats on the new bike don :)

sampleez
01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
i'm in the same boat as you gearhead, except i didn't buy a new one. but i just got my 400 last summer and but some money into it, and i have already outgrown the power, suspension, etc, and am ready to get a yfz.....hopefully this spring. i was wondering about how much i could get out of my bike, here's a pic, tell me what you think, i was thinking prolly 2500 or a little more. and i'm gonna do some pc'ing here shortly, so that'll help.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p56fc8b6aef7ff0e9f4bba6136f213158/f615adc4.jpg

Sportrax10
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by sampleez
i'm in the same boat as you gearhead, except i didn't buy a new one. but i just got my 400 last summer and but some money into it, and i have already outgrown the power, suspension, etc, and am ready to get a yfz.....hopefully this spring. i was wondering about how much i could get out of my bike, here's a pic, tell me what you think, i was thinking prolly 2500 or a little more. and i'm gonna do some pc'ing here shortly, so that'll help.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p56fc8b6aef7ff0e9f4bba6136f213158/f615adc4.jpg

Have any of you guys thought about the trx450r?? :confused:

BTW, your 400ex looks really nice... :macho

400exdad
01-07-2005, 04:20 PM
I think everyone understands. I love my 400 and I'm still upgrading it... while a lot of others are moving on. The 400 has plenty power for me. Right now anyway.

So, its okay as long as you don't try to suck the brain fluid out of our heads like this guy did in the movie. :D

twisted threads
01-07-2005, 07:40 PM
The 400ex is a blast to ride and If you feel like you need to go faster get a 450r and put a pipe on it and you will fall in love.

Evan400ex
01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I just bought a new 05' YFZ a few days ago too. I had a 416ex with a ton on money dropped into it. The 416 doesn't even come close to the power of the YFZ. I didn't think it would be that huge of a difference but I bet the 450 is putting 50% more power out. I did buy the YFZ new with a BUB carbon fiber complete exhaust and K&N installed so that helped with the power.:devil:

crazyatvn
01-10-2005, 09:35 PM
My friend has a YFZ and he has the a-arms replaced, 3 stems on it and had carb problems. My other friend sold his YFZ and got a 450r he had nothing but problems with it. He loves the 450r. Oh yeah I have to say they race gncc/mhcs. I still think the 400 EX is an awsome bike mostly (I BELIEVE) the YFZ feels so much fast than the 400 is because of the power delivery. The yfz is like a 2-stroke and the 400 is very smooth on the power delivery. I like the smooth power in the woods it helps you from tiring out in the long 1.5-2 hr races. That is just my two cents but yea the YFZ is faster.

K_Fulk
01-10-2005, 09:47 PM
I thought the yfz's were a bunch of hype till I rode one saturday.
My fully built tc 426 power wise is real similar untill you hit the top end the yfz just kept going. Its motor was stock with an HMF pipe.

Handling wise both my quad and the yfz I rode had extended everyrthing and shocks. But the yfz seemed to handle better being lower. And it didnt seem to wear me out as much. Being a little easier to throw around cause of the weight.

400exdad
01-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
I thought the yfz's were a bunch of hype till I rode one saturday.
My fully built tc 426 power wise is real similar untill you hit the top end the yfz just kept going. Its motor was stock with an HMF pipe.

Handling wise both my quad and the yfz I rode had extended everyrthing and shocks. But the yfz seemed to handle better being lower. And it didnt seem to wear me out as much. Being a little easier to throw around cause of the weight.

I was going to call BS to the weight difference, but I checked. YFZ 350# 400EX 377# Working an extra 27# may wear you out after awhile. I will not buy the YFZ because Yamahas lack of customer support and the R needs a starter. IMHO....

K_Fulk
01-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by 400exdad
I was going to call BS to the weight difference, but I checked. YFZ 350# 400EX 377# Working an extra 27# may wear you out after awhile. I will not buy the YFZ because Yamahas lack of customer support and the R needs a starter. IMHO....

Those are the dry weifghts. With both the quads having after market stems, a-arms, swingarms and axles both of there weights are probly a bit more.

Its not good enought to make me wanna part out my quad and get a yfz right away.
But in time i would like to set a yfz up for mx and convert my 400 over to woods/ weekend riding.

The yfz I rode had the kickstart kit with all the electric starter gears out of the motor. And it kicked over and started just as easy as the R.

Raptorride
01-11-2005, 12:35 PM
i thought the yfz was just the most baddest *** thing out there untill i rode one and i thought it was kinda lackin in the awesome power everyone talks aobut. Me on my raptor and my friend with a 450r were tearing them up on the drag strip so i guess its what you are used to. I did ride the yfz and of cours coming from the raptor i found it small and harsh. Im not saying go buy a raptor by any means just saying make sure you check it out be for buying on hear say. Because i was all about gettin one before i got some seat time and drag races against them.

seatec
01-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Dude, are you sure you are comparing apples to apples here? No way will a stock Raptor TEAR up a stock YFZ450. it will pass it in the end in a drag race but thats about it. so make sure that when you say something like that that you put in all the facts like quad setup and rider ability and such boring but relevant information.

bman9
01-11-2005, 01:16 PM
when my friends yfz was stock and mine was stock too, he would fly through the gears and hit top end a lot faster than me. But top end difference for us was only 1 mph or 2 difference. my 2 cents

Raptorride
01-11-2005, 02:03 PM
as far as i know mine only has a 14t and a k and n at the time it now has a sparks full pipe. Not making this up i have no reason to this was the drag stip not the mx track i think yfz's are blown a bit out of porportion when it comes to their stright line power.

seatec
01-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Raptor. im not trying to say your lying just that having two competent riders on both a raptor and a yfz the yfz will hole shoot you but the raptor will pull you over the finish.

cheers

coryatver
01-11-2005, 02:48 PM
I rode a yfz with the baffle out and I didn't think it had the power everyone talks about. But I think they are a different machine with a pipe and open air box.

sampleez
01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
i hate how people on here are like "aw, i didn't have that much power". BS!!!!!!! my buddy has a r w/hrc, yoshi pipe, filter, etc and it didn't have nothin for my buddys yfz w/ only a hmf slip-on. he beat him like 3-4 bike lenghts!!! and he only ways like 20-25 lbs less, so it's not gonna make up 4 bike lenghts. the only way i would consider getting a 450r is if they redid the front end on them. i just can't stand it. but overall their not bad bikes and all, but i am gonna get a yfz, most likely a yellow 05, because basically all i do is ride mx, sx, and arenacross, with a little trail riding now and then, and i just like the power and looks of it much better than the r. i'm plannin to get a dubach pipe, do the cam mod, a ron woods intake(5hp!!:eek2: ), AC nerfs and bumper, ex throttle, 15 tooth front sprocket, bars, and some other small stuff this spring/summer. i would love to get some yellow hipers like the one in this pic, but i dont know about 800 for a set of wheels. maybe i'll get some burgard's and pc'em.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/karlangelo5/SE5.jpg

Raptorride
01-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Im just saying what i saw i only rode it in a straight line and it didnt seem to have the pull the rap did. It did have a pipe but not sure on jetting he was from my hometown we were both at haspin acres and i asked to ride it after we raced. I raced that yfz and a completly stock one and i aslo took that bike in the races. They are a good complete package bike and will work great for some. Im 19 6 foot about 170 175 and feel alot better on the rap and i see no drastic diffrence in the power to want to switch over. I did feel cramped on a yfz when i rode it. These are jsut my opinons from what i have experenced. This was on hard pack dirt i was starting in second and pulled on em hard after 3rd but i tore up a raptor there pretty good too so maybe its just me and my bike. I do like the new black and yellow colors for a yfz wouldnt mind having one for another toy and if we get serious into the mx. Oh the guy with the yfz with i pipe is definatly a competent rider he does the iron cross and all those gncc type races.

seatec
01-12-2005, 05:53 AM
raptorride, you are right about being a little cramped on the yfz i am 6'4" and about 240. i had to extend the steering stem up 2 " and out 1" . after that mod the yfz is actually confortable.
the 05 yfz has a seat that feels lik sitting on a surfboard. dont like that very much.

400exdad
01-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by seatec
......the 05 yfz has a seat that feels lik sitting on a surfboard. dont like that very much.

I heard that. It must be filled with concrete.:)

Jersey450R
01-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
The 400ex is a blast to ride and If you feel like you need to go faster get a 450r and put a pipe on it and you will fall in love.
The 400EX is the most comfortable, east to ride, best handling quad i've ever ridden, JMO.