PDA

View Full Version : gotta be smarter than the dipstick

redrider311
01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
well i added more oil to my 400.. and i ran it for a few minutes to let it work in.. then when i checked the oil there wasnt any on the dip stick.. so i added some more.. idled it again for a few minutes.. checked it.. and there was just drops here and there on it... im taking it out.. wiping it off.. putting it back in and all.. but its still not even showing up.. do i really need to add more oil?

PS.. im running synthetic.. but i though that also turned a black color too.....

i guess im not smarter than the dipstick :p

EPDP99
01-06-2005, 09:05 PM
let the bike idle for a few minutes without giving it gas. then shut it off and let it see for a few. then check your oil. otherwise if you check it right when you shut it off the oil will read low, you will fill it, then when the oil drains from the motor and back down to the tank it will be really full.

redrider311
01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
well even then right after im not even getting a reading on the stick... shouldnt i get atlest some type of one?

EPDP99
01-06-2005, 09:58 PM
if you check it right away no. the oil cooler will fill up as well as the motor. it will all drain back down just takes a bit of time. plus the dipstick is out 1/2 inch because you dont screw it in to check it.

needa400
01-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by redrider311
well even then right after im not even getting a reading on the stick... shouldnt i get atlest some type of one?

No b/c theres still sum oil left in the top of the motor and oil cooler thats why ur not getting and acurate reading, wait at least 2-3mins before checkin!!:)