PDA

View Full Version : Hot cam stage 2 valve adjustments???

fearthis_450r
01-06-2005, 07:09 PM
I just got my stage 2 hot cam installed but i cant figure out how to adjust the intake valves. They are not right as it is now but there is no way to adjust them. Do i have to buy new shims that are different sizes or what? IF so where do i get them and what size?

Thanks

WhiteZee
01-06-2005, 07:16 PM
im guessing your doing this and you dont have a servise manual? thats a big mistake. go buy one and it tells you anything you would ever need to know.

fearthis_450r
01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Wrong answer. I got one and it doesnt really say, it says something about new shims but i never heard anyone ever talk about buying new shims to adjust there valve clearances.

adambomb
01-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Yep, if the valve lash is off you will have to get the right size shims. You can order them at your local Honda dealer if you don't mind spending about $5 a piece. I have seen shim kits also with different sizes in it.

WhiteZee
01-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by fearthis_450r
Wrong answer. I got one and it doesnt really say, it says something about new shims but i never heard anyone ever talk about buying new shims to adjust there valve clearances.
ok, if you have a service manual and can not do this by your self, you dont need to be working on your quad. i remember there is a equation to calculate the new shims you need in their.... its in the maint. chapter.

Raptorride
01-06-2005, 08:18 PM
shut the hell up white zee you aren't helping so get out. He needs some one who has done this before that knows what size shims to use of course the lash is gonna be off if you have installed a new cam. So if someone has done this before and know what is going on could you please point us in the right direction not some a hole that think he is the god of atv mechanics.

Varmit57
01-06-2005, 09:55 PM
You can get the Shim Kit from Hot Cams (http://www.hotcamsinc.com/catalog.asp). the Part Number is HCSHIM02 for the TRX, and Retails for $89.95 Includes three shims of each size from 1.20 to 3.50mm in .05 increments.

Also I agree with "Raptorride". Any question is a good question!

dn1911
01-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Raptorride
shut the hell up white zee you aren't helping so get out. He needs some one who has done this before that knows what size shims to use of course the lash is gonna be off if you have installed a new cam. So if someone has done this before and know what is going on could you please point us in the right direction not some a hole that think he is the god of atv mechanics.

chill out, he wasn't really off base in what he said

also i do believe there is info in the maintence section that covers the process of changing shims for clearence and torque specs for cam tower. the shims are available at your dealer. if i remember right the clearences for the stage 2 is the same as stock cam but might need diferent shims.

ZRider400
01-07-2005, 04:38 AM
i just recently installed mine, and the clearances didnt change when i put it in. so basically if they are off with the stock cam, then you will most likely have to buy different shims when using the new cam....and if they are in spec you will be fine.

fearthis_450r
01-07-2005, 05:58 AM
So what you are saying is that u installed the cam and didnt have to change the shims or anything? I know that the specs r the same but i figured the cam was shaped different so it would be different and need new shims. How is urs running anyways, can u tell a difference in power?

Varmit57
01-07-2005, 06:40 AM
I used a CRF Stage 2 from HotCams in mine back in March of last year. When I put it in it was right on. I didn't change a thing.

I just tore it down for a winter rebuild and I just bought the Kit so I'm ready just in case. It would only take having to by about 10 shims to pay for the kit and then you have every thing you need insted of having to make trips back to the Honda shop...

Just for FYI. This year I'm putting in a 13.8-1 JE Piston, -4oz. Flywheel, Ported Head, FCR Carb, Big Gun Rev Box and a new DR.D Slip-On. Should go good with that Stage 2 Cam real nice.
:D

fearthis_450r
01-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks a lot for your info. I am going to re-align everything and measure again and see if it is right. I think i messed up when i put the cam chain back on because i lined them notches up but when i did that i dont think i had it at top dead center. I didnt think i would have to change the shims because i figured for all the people that have this cam someone along the line would have said something about changing the shims.

GA400ex
01-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Varmit57
Just for FYI. This year I'm putting in a 13.8-1 JE Piston, -4oz. Flywheel, Ported Head, FCR Carb, Big Gun Rev Box and a new DR.D Slip-On. Should go good with that Stage 2 Cam real nice.
:D

Yes, it will. You might want to think about doing a full exhaust

Raptorride
01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
His full exhust is on they way i just got jumpy because i dont appreciate some saying they are not able to work on a quad when all they did is ask a simple question. I was over helping fear this install the cam. Thanks for all the help guys. The front exhaust valves can be adjsuted via the rocker arm if needed correct?

dn1911
01-07-2005, 01:07 PM
His full exhust is on they way i just got jumpy because i dont appreciate some saying they are not able to work on a quad when all they did is ask a simple question. I was over helping fear this install the cam. Thanks for all the help guys. The front exhaust valves can be adjsuted via the rocker arm if needed correct?

nope all the valves use the shim and buket system.

WhiteZee
01-07-2005, 01:26 PM
first of all, you stfu. i told him where he can find the answer to his question in his service manual. second of all, if you are not capable of looking in the index/glossary to find this out your self, i would assume you are not very bright, and thats why i said he might not want to do it himself.

Raptorride
01-08-2005, 09:29 AM
well just to let all ya know its in and runs fine thanks for saying we cant do it white zee I can see that you assume alot of stuff about alot of people and assuming will get you no where but in trouble. By the way i dont see a cam in your modification list....