PDA

View Full Version : service honda 250r

z400guy21
01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
HAs anyone bought the service honda 250r? Is it worth it considering that its only a frame, motor and pipes for 5gs?
I am looking into buying one so if anyone has any suggestions or anyhthing let me know. thanks

quadracer12
01-06-2005, 07:07 PM
pm 1fastprototype he races and test for service honda. he's not that slow for a old guy:devil:

baker250r
01-06-2005, 07:52 PM
all th service honda is, is a cr250 stuffed into a 400ex frame...... if i was you, i would go get a actuall 250r instead of that cobbled together thing. the 250r chassis handling is far superior to 400ex handling.

Hawk III
01-06-2005, 11:40 PM
^^^^

ddbyrd
01-07-2005, 12:02 PM
The suspension geometry on the 400ex is nearly identical to that of the "R"s. But I believe the frame is stronger than that of the "R" due to the additional weight of the 4 stroke motor, etc.

But if you are willing to spend 5 grand, I would find a true trx250r for sure.. An 88 or 89..

beak7707
01-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Theres ways to get it cheaper. If you have an old 400ex frame you can use it or send service honda the VIN and they will give you a new 400ex frame. By not buying the frame you save a decent chunk of change. I rode a service R at Casey LTM and I must say it was one of the most kick ***** quads I've ever rode. It was way better than my 250r, but then again I've never rode a fully aftermarket 250r. Since prices of R's are down you might be able to buy a real 250 and be money ahead, but the service honda quad is a real nice bike.

1fastprototype
01-07-2005, 07:13 PM
The Service Honda 250r is a very nice quad with alot of thought and testing put in to the set up. The quad handles very well since it is derived from the great handling of the 400 ex. In all stock form you get 43 hp with a power valve. This is engine performance from 2001, not the 80's. You stop by any dealership and get in stock honda parts. You don't have to search thru ebay for worn out parts hoping to get something that is salvagable. Most everything else is from a 400ex which parts these days are fairly cheap and easy to get. The machine weighs in at 310 pounds. AT the WISP RACE THIS YEAR MY 250 WALKED AWAY FROM THE 450'S UP THE BIG UPHILL. This machine loves the rough stuff and is a blast in the sand.

kwatts400
01-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Do you have any pics of your bike?

1fastprototype
01-20-2005, 09:28 PM
check out Service Honda web sight and click on the action photo page for the 250r and you will see my quad.

JTRtrx250r
01-21-2005, 05:14 PM
do they not require radiator shrouds:confused: or whats the deal w/ that?

Do they vibrate bad at all?

beak7707
01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
On the one I rode the vibration was not bad at all. Thats actually how I got to ride it, I asked the guy if it vibrated bad and he told me to go find out. I couldnt pass up that offer, they run great and I saw no downside to the service R.

zedicus00
01-21-2005, 09:02 PM
i downside...price.

1fastprototype
01-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Price me out a cost on building a 250R from scratch. I also want this to have a working power valve and 43 hp. Keep in mind I don't want any used or salvaged parts from the '80s. I have an '86 pickup truck with 280,000 miles on it that doesn't quite keep up with my 2001 truck either. So let me know what you come up with. Take into consideration your time and labor putting it together too. :macho

zedicus00
01-21-2005, 10:39 PM
true, how bout i say it like this. upfont investment. and i wouldnt mind owning one i jus think i like the original better. as far as technology difference between the old and new ones. close to 0, 2 strokes hav barely changed in 20 yrs

1fastprototype
01-22-2005, 06:21 AM
The big difference between the old and the new is that now the 250R comes with a powervalve - the old 250Rs never had that. The only other way to get one now is to go with an aftermarket power valve and porting job, which is expensive, to get the kind of hp you get with the Service Honda. Also, the clutch and the gears in the new Service 250R are far superior to the old 250Rs. So there are some advances in the new 250Rs that do make a big difference from the old.

zedicus00
01-22-2005, 10:46 AM
ive heard bad things about the bottom end in the cr250r. sounds like it is jus as problematic as the original was.

1fastprototype
01-22-2005, 11:29 AM
RC might have a different opinion of that. I have grenaded quit a few old 250r bottom ends trying to run this kind of hp and have yet to tear up a bottom end from a cr250.

Eddiesanders250
02-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Id say its not worth 5k. you could get a used 250 and rebuild it for way less then that. you should just buy a used one.

1fastprototype
02-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Just got back from Arizona testing my 2005 Service Honda 250r. Nothing like a fresh tight brand new quad with ZP ohlins all the way around. Handles like a dream and hits like a sledge hammer. Best of all its all new in one piece. New 43 hp motor all stock with no mods done yet.Didn't have to search for parts and spend weeks or months building or getting someones wore out junk. 3and 4 whell mag will be testing it thursday before shippin it back to me for Texas so we will see what they have to say soon. Its only been 16 years since they tested a new one. Most of the test riders just out of diapers when the last 250r was sold new.

papatrx
02-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Please explain in detail what exactly is stronger in the bottom end of a CR250 than a trx, I have had them both apart and must be missing something.

43 hp is not all that much and I have 5 trx's all running over 43 hp with stock trx bottom ends and have absolutely no problems and have many friends in the same position. The only guys I know of that have to beef up in that area are the one running the sabertooth jugs, which are way over 43 hp.

What about the counter balancer in the trx, the CR250 does not have one, don't tell me it doesn't vibrate I wasn't born yesterday.

What about 5 gears vs 6?

The CR250 is a great engine but it was designed for a two wheeler, honda went to great lenghts designing the bottom end of the trx and it is a very hard one to beat.

JTRtrx250r
02-02-2005, 10:29 PM
LOL...he works for Service Honda..WTF do you expect him to say haha:p :D

papatrx
02-03-2005, 07:54 AM
It just makes me crazy when someone sounding like a salesman starts making statements with no foundation...."I have grenaded quit a few old 250r bottom ends trying to run this kind of hp and have yet to tear up a bottom end from a cr250"....

I have yet to see any top pro riders utilizing a cr250 bottom end on their trx for racing....it's not stronger.

Thats why I simply asked for exact details about what is stronger.

I know of several people that have tried conversions of cr250's and cr500's in the trx and they have all switched back because of vibration with no counter balancer. Only the drag guys hang in there because it's such a short duration they are riding.

The cr250 top end does give you much more to work with out of the factory but not the bottom end. I have an 85 cr250 a-tak cylinder on my sons trx, but the bottom end is definately trx and would have it no other way. Trust me it's well above 43 hp.

As far as parts go, I buy through service honda regularly and can buy any part I need for the trx from them or any other honda dealer, I have yet to need a part that is not available any more.

I just feel that on forums like this, we are all after the same thing. We want to talk to other real riders about what works and what does not with details. I don't need to hear a sales pitch without details about why the 80's technology stinks and a new quad with a dirt bike engine stuffed into it is the way to go.

If you are going to compare apples to apples, make sure it's really apples to apples and give examples with details.

I have no beef at all with service honda, they have great prices and service. I just don't like salesman......

JTRtrx250r
02-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by papatrx
It just makes me crazy when someone sounding like a salesman starts making statements with no foundation...."I have grenaded quit a few old 250r bottom ends trying to run this kind of hp and have yet to tear up a bottom end from a cr250"....

I have yet to see any top pro riders utilizing a cr250 bottom end on their trx for racing....it's not stronger.

Thats why I simply asked for exact details about what is stronger.

I know of several people that have tried conversions of cr250's and cr500's in the trx and they have all switched back because of vibration with no counter balancer. Only the drag guys hang in there because it's such a short duration they are riding.

The cr250 top end does give you much more to work with out of the factory but not the bottom end. I have an 85 cr250 a-tak cylinder on my sons trx, but the bottom end is definately trx and would have it no other way. Trust me it's well above 43 hp.

As far as parts go, I buy through service honda regularly and can buy any part I need for the trx from them or any other honda dealer, I have yet to need a part that is not available any more.

I just feel that on forums like this, we are all after the same thing. We want to talk to other real riders about what works and what does not with details. I don't need to hear a sales pitch without details about why the 80's technology stinks and a new quad with a dirt bike engine stuffed into it is the way to go.

If you are going to compare apples to apples, make sure it's really apples to apples and give examples with details.

I have no beef at all with service honda, they have great prices and service. I just don't like salesman...... ;) I took it w/ a grain of salt papatrx:D

1fastprototype
02-03-2005, 08:17 AM
I am not getting into a pissen match. I also don't work for Service in any way shape or form. I have my own construction company that I run and have since 1990. I never said this is the best thing since sliced bread, just that it is a nice product that you can get without shopping around and piecing together. I am sorry to have wrinkled your panties since you obviously know everything about 250r's. Iam happy for you. I am not trying to sale this product nor do I get comision. It is simply a fun machine you can buy brand new with one stop.With 43 hp in stock form you can easily achieve much higher numbers with work. Remembering that a stock 250r came with 29 hp. I have had many 250r's for I am a diehard 2 stroke person. I have had 330 kits putting out max hp with durability problems over extended racing periods. This 43 hp is at the wheels and I do have dyno sheets, I feel this is pretty good for just picking up a machine from a dealer not trying to build a huge hp race machine. I am in no way trying to get you to switch just stating some interesting things I have found. To each there own I say.:macho This is a great machine for a 2stroke person that is not that mechanically inclined and wants a durable machine ready to ride.

JTRtrx250r
02-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by quadracer12
pm 1fastprototype he races and test for service honda. he's not that slow for a old guy:devil: Sorry man...guess thats what I gathered from his post:ermm: None of us want a pissin' match either, just a bit more foundation from what you were saying... and you pretty much covered it in your last post, but dude..., if you go back and reread your posts...you DO sound like a salesman!

it aint nothing but opinions man..., dont sweat it. Its actually good to hear ones opinion who's rode and tested it, but if it was such the rage...more ppl would be on them:)

papatrx
02-03-2005, 08:52 AM
1fastprototype your last post was excellent. That is just the type of information we all want, no offense taken. You sound like you have been around a long time like me and just want to hear other riders successes and failures.

No, I do not even come close to knowing everything about 250r's. I am just a wore out old fart who has had many failures and some things that actually work. I like most out there am trying to figure these wonderful little motors out and improve them so I can go faster.

I am really glad you are not a salesman, just a hard working old guy like me.

papatrx
02-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Actually, not only do I not know everything about 250r's but according to my 4 teen age kids, I do not know anything about life either. According to them I am a complete moron....such is life at the bottom of the food chain......

JTRtrx250r
02-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by papatrx
Actually, not only do I not know everything about 250r's but according to my 4 teen age kids, I do not know anything about life either. According to them I am a complete moron....such is life at the bottom of the food chain...... You too huh?(-2 of them). I found out Im not as cool w/ my shirt tucked in and pants that actually fit:ermm:

ESR250R
02-03-2005, 09:30 AM
this sounds like it could be nice but i have heard it expensive. its also in a 400ex frame so handling wouldnt be as good as the 250r. it might be a good investiment for people with alot of money tied up into there 400ex's but desire more power. they can probably put there aftermarket stuff on this frame and have alot better engine to work with. i am also curious about the 5 speed or 6 speed thing. with the additional power you might be able to get away with the 5 speed.

1fastprototype
02-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Just alittle backround I raced until the mid 90's all on 250r's. When this project came up i was asked to test it and abuse it since my knowledge and racing style was all 2 strokes. It worked out since I live on 600 acres of woods and can ride and test in private at my leasure after work. After riding every day and working out all the bugs I actually got my old butt back in half way decent shape. Half way thru the 2003 season I was asked to take the prototype to some races to see how it competed. I ended up winning the District 17 open quad class championshipon on just a thrown together proto. Then for 2004 they built me a sweet one you can see on there web sight that I rode to capture the 2004 A class district championship as well as taking a 5th in 265 A at the GNCC races in 9 rounds. Hpefully this year will be better starting next week in Texas. You ask about the 5 gears, personally I think it is an advantage cause the gear ratios are not so tight. Especially in the mud. At the ohio round it was pouring at the start and I managed to pull the holeshot on the 265 and open A line only to spin out in the third turn going into the woods. There are alot of top riders and machines on that line 4 and 2 stroke. And going up hills is more like riding a 500 you can lug up to almost the top with very little tire spin then clutch it once and open the powervalve. Do I think this is the altimate set up no but its not just thrown together eather. Very tight coarses the 450's will rule but on the open coarses this thing can shine especially on the very rough coarses being only 315 pounds in full skids. Any other serious questions fill free to ask I now have about 4 to 500 hours on these machines.

ESR250R
02-03-2005, 05:51 PM
i gotta question, since you live in il, y dont ya let me take one of them for a spin and i can give these guys a second opinion.:D

1fastprototype
02-03-2005, 06:00 PM
I have no problem with that I let lots of people ride it all they have to do is ask.

muddy400EX
02-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 1fastprototype
I have no problem with that I let lots of people ride it all they have to do is ask.

i wanna ride it:D

HondaATC500X
02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Has the turning radius/Handling been improved over the stock 400ex any? I never really realised the diference until a buddy and I switched quads one day and I was runnin into all kinds of stuff with the 400EX because I was use to my 250r turning sharper...Talk about emabarassing.

1fastprototype
02-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Both are much improved. I do notice in very thick mud it tends to push alittle other that that it is very nimble and quick turning.