PDA

View Full Version : 416ex.....What size sprockets for racin?

JhallettEX
04-25-2002, 08:53 AM
I am going to buy some new sprockets for racin and I was wondering what sizes I should go with. The MX track that I race on you really never get into 4th or 5th gear at all, wouldn't I want to go with a 14th front sprocket? Help me out on this. Also what size would I want to go with on the rear sprocket as well. Thanks alot for the help.

04-25-2002, 09:36 AM
14 tooth sprocket and 18 inch rear tires hate each other..:eek: You have NO 1st gear and very little of 2nd...I too hardly ever get in 4th and never get in 5th on a mx track...stock gearing is pretty much spot on,,but when I went to a 36 tooth in the rear which is 2 less than stock,,it's kinda like running a mix between a 15 and 16 tooth up front...I really liked the results,,still has plenty of bottom end torque,,and it takes nothin ta raisee the front end up in 3rd on the track..I'll always run this setup,,even works good with stock tires on there too..

So my suggestion is either stock gearing or a 15/36...I know there's been alot said about the 16 up front,,but no case saver kinda makes me shiver thinkin what's gonna happen if the 416 tosses that chain under a load..:eek:

PsychoDave
04-25-2002, 10:05 AM
how bout with stock tire sizes and a 416 kit....i run 15/38 now....does any one suggest goin to 15/36....will i lose bottom end?

04-25-2002, 11:30 AM
I ran my stock 20 incher tires with the 36 in the back at the LBL trip and didn't loose any bottom and was very comfortable with it,,on a stock 400ex I don't know about it,,but with our 416's you loose NO bottom end at all..

04-25-2002, 03:49 PM
See me setup in my sig. I'm going back to the 15 front, 14 is way too low with the higher compression. The only place the lower gearing is nice is when I'm descending some hairy rocky hill, but that's rare.

BTW, Rico, my new arms are beat to **** . . . who was the turkey that said rocks are no worry? I'm gonna get some guard plates made asap.