PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions(read before vote)

400exrules
01-06-2005, 02:00 PM
ok im 16 and ill be buyin a cheap truck soon cuz i get my licence in like 3 weeks. And i need a truck cuz if i get a bike or a quad, ill have no way to haul them cuz we dont have a truck or anything to pull a trailor. plus ill need a way to get to work, school, and stuff. I have to pay for it all on my own so money is kinda tight, but if i could have it my way, i would use the $2,200 i have in the bank to buy a quad or a dirtbike now instead of a truck. So after i get my truck im gonna get a dirtbike or a quad, idk which. I like to mainly ride trails, alittle mud maybe, and just all around riding basically. Should i get a used 400ex? or like a yz125, or cr125, or xr150, or wut? my friend has a ktm 125 for sale for $2500. I know how to work a clutch however ive never ridden a dirtbike. Bikes seem to be cheaper then quads, and i kinda wanna get a quad more since i havent ridden a dirtbike yet, but i just wanna get somethin quick so i can go on trips with my friends and go ridin with them.

bike?quad? any advice?

01-06-2005, 02:18 PM
just my opinion but i say quad all the way it seems like bikes just arent the same to ride after step off a quad and on to a bike its like damn get this $hit out from under me but that is just me its my personal prefernce and i gess if u ride a quad for three years and ur at a friends house n in u ride ur quad for 2 hours then u trade with ur buddy whos a cr125 u rly HATE!! the bike ;) and i think u should get the truck first because u should get wat u need before u get wat u want IMO

400exrules
01-06-2005, 02:37 PM
k, anyone else have experience with both? i really would like to have all the opinions i could get. please post your facts and opinions and which u like better

ballisticpb
01-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Go with the truck first then quad. Truck will help get you to work to buy a quad. in my travels i perfer the quad to a bike, riding a quad you have that lazyness factor. not allways having to keep the bike upright.

my .02

muddy400EX
01-06-2005, 03:59 PM
if youve only rode quads then DONT get a bike. i had a 400ex and traded for an RM125 just to try it out and it was the worst thing i ever did. i was missing my 400 soooo bad. the RM was alot faster but i just couldnt get used to it. i think whatever you start on is prolly what youll stay on. i got another 400 now and im not gettin rid of it.

400exrules
01-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
if youve only rode quads then DONT get a bike. i had a 400ex and traded for an RM125 just to try it out and it was the worst thing i ever did. i was missing my 400 soooo bad. the RM was alot faster but i just couldnt get used to it. i think whatever you start on is prolly what youll stay on. i got another 400 now and im not gettin rid of it.

ok cool! thanks for all the input guys!

which are more fun on trails bikes or quads?

Tantal
01-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I ride and own both. If I could only own/get one it'd be a quad because they're all season - meaning, when it snows out, etc.; I'm still riding.

As for which are more fun on the trails... that's personal preference and I personally find a two wheeler more fun on the trails.

SRH
01-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 660r_freestyler
just my opinion but i say quad all the way it seems like bikes just arent the same to ride after step off a quad and on to a bike its like damn get this $hit out from under me but that is just me its my personal prefernce and i gess if u ride a quad for three years and ur at a friends house n in u ride ur quad for 2 hours then u trade with ur buddy whos a cr125 u rly HATE!! the bike ;) and i think u should get the truck first because u should get wat u need before u get wat u want IMO

what???????? i have no clue what u just said

in u in run on dun con bum quad 2 hrs bud fud cr 125 IMO....thats all i see

pick up a early 90s 2 wheel drive ranger which you should be able to get from 800-1200, those trucks with the 8 plug motors last a long long time as long as its not an abused truck or a "lemon" my granpa has owned 2 rangers in the past 10 years, one has 212000 miles still runs like new and another which he drives now has 160000 miles he bought both when they were around 90000 and hasnt had to put anymore than an exhaust on each....i own a 97 2 wheeel drive and so far soo good, i love the truck, but im a ford person....

then with the extra cash hold out a few months save up some more and buy a newer bike..should be able to find one reasonable used or a 300 or 400ex...i personally think bikes are more fun in the woods, you dont need a trail its more challenging you can go faster...i just would take a bike int he woods over a quad any day my quad only get ridden on mx tracks and my practice track

hardkoratvmxr
01-06-2005, 05:51 PM
if you ever decide to race a quad will be way easier to get started on juss my op

400exrules
01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
thanks, i really appreciate all the replies :D

and does anyone know if you can plug a camera phone into the computer to upload pics to the pc from the phone? because when my sister started drivin, my parents got her a cell phone, and the same is gonna happen with me. ima try to get a camera phone if i can, so i can get some pics of my truck whenever i get it, and show it to everyone.

and im goin for the truck first, then most likely a used 400ex (unless i ride a dirtbike sometime soon and it changes my mind)

gratzracing24
01-06-2005, 06:06 PM
truck then quad...the 1st time i rode a dirtbike...i think i was on my back in less than a min...havent rode one since

SGA
01-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Get the truck first. You need some wheels to get around town and to get to work.

MotoX3
01-06-2005, 08:21 PM
get the truck first...something decent but not to nice......reliable is the key....and for the quad/bike deal.....i must admit....not being able to ride my bike in winter sucks...but as soon as summer rolls around im glad that i have a nice mx bike to ride:D

zracerx
01-06-2005, 09:04 PM
You can pick up a used 400ex for under $3000.00! That is what I would do.

sampleez
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
bikes are pretty fun, specially on a track, except for ruts. i rode my buddys crf250 at my uncles track and it was like riding on air. also, those bikes are amaizingly fast. but for trails, there's no way i could ride a bike, but i'm somewhat short, so that doesn't help. you probably could find a pretty new 125 for dirt cheap. for instance, my buddy is selling his 02 or 03 rm 125 for like 1400 or 1500.

as for the truck, older rangers will definately take a beating. i've got an 89 w/ prolly 145000 or so and i've gave it 9+ kinds of he!! and it still run good, but doesn't get as good of gas milage as would like for a 4 cyl., usually about 22-25. i know it's not bad, but it's not festiva, at 40-45 mpg :D those cars are pimp :devil:

kamikaze_rzrbak
01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
haveing your own vehicle for the first time will make you more happy than buying a bike and waiting, haveing your own personal ride is one of the best things in the world when you first turn of age for a drivers license. you can wait on the bike/quad I would:)

MY450R
01-07-2005, 08:34 AM
get a quad and not a bike believe me you'll be much happier
especially driving thru mud and chit were you have to keep your balance
also gig mud puddles where you have to go real slow
you'll end up putting your feet down in the water

400exrules
01-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
get a quad and not a bike believe me you'll be much happier
especially driving thru mud and chit were you have to keep your balance
also gig mud puddles where you have to go real slow
you'll end up putting your feet down in the water

yah, idk if i would like motocross or anything, ive never owned a quad, i just ride all my friends, and when i get on a quad, you almost have to pry me off with a crowbar....and im not even kiddin with u lol. the only kind of riding ive really done is open fields, tight trails, ridin through creeks, hills, and real small jumps.

my friend just got an xr150 or somethin.....xr something, i forgot for Christmas and he hasnt really gone ridin yet, ima have to ask him how it does, and see if i can take it for a spin sometime. but i can work a clutch easy, so im gonna get a 400ex.
but the thing that pisses me off so bad, is that, with the money and the steady payin job i have now, i could easily go buy a brand new 400ex and easily pay it off in no time, but my mom drives a little car, and my dad drives a work van that he cut the hitch off of, so i would have no way to haul it. even tho my neighbor rides and he said he can borrow a trailor from his brother and haul our bikes, but im eventually gonna have to get a truck, plus i dont wanna have to bug him every time i wanna go ride. So ive gotta get the truck first.

awsomeaussies
01-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Checkout some county auctions. You can always find some good deals on vehicles. Just go a day ahead of time to make sure they run.

Scott-300ex
01-08-2005, 12:02 AM
40 to 3

i think you got your answer