PDA

View Full Version : Works SSD conversion

erac4019
01-06-2005, 01:18 PM
I have noticed that with all of the high-perfomance quads that now come with rebuildable shocks there are a number of company's, Derisi/C&D/GT Thunder/etc, that are converting stock shocks to SSD. Does anyone know if they can do the same with my Works triple rates and the stock rear shock on my 03 Z? When I bought the shocks I had no intentions of racing but I'm getting a little bored just trail riding and would like to run a few races this year.

Fast350ex
01-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but if you plan to start racing, you better get some engine mods, unless your just in it to get a tast of people smokin' you. You might want to widen up your frame a little to. And you might need to revalve your shocks for MX, and I'm not shure about the SSD conversion, I'm pretty shure it's possible.

Again, I don't mean to be rude, just trying to help you out a little.

ZSK
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Fast350ex
I don't mean to be rude, but if you plan to start racing, you better get some engine mods, unless your just in it to get a tast of people smokin' you. You might want to widen up your frame a little to. And you might need to revalve your shocks for MX, and I'm not shure about the SSD conversion, I'm pretty shure it's possible.

Again, I don't mean to be rude, just trying to help you out a little.

I don't mean to be rude but you're an idiot.

Suspension is THE BEST WAY to make yourself faster. I guarentee that you'll be faster with a set of elkas in the rough stuff than with a 440 kit. A good set of shocks will shed valuable seconds off of your lap times. If you can't keep control of the quad then more power isn't the key. Check out Derisi Racing for a SSD conversion front and rear. I hear he does great work.

maskale
01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by cleanshave300ex

Suspension is THE BEST WAY to make yourself faster. I guarentee that you'll be faster with a set of elkas in the rough stuff than with a 440 kit. A good set of shocks will shed valuable seconds off of your lap times. If you can't keep control of the quad then more power isn't the key.

I agree. My Mx buddy has a 04 Z400, with works. I had a 02 440ex with other engine mods. and stock suspension and I could not keep up with him on the track. Out on flat ground I could leave him behind easy, but not on the track, until I got my LT Elka shocks front and back with the LT rear linkage. After I got my suspension setup and dialed in I was leaving him behind on the track with out trying, after riding a few min. I would look back and he would not be there anymore. He said he just could not keep up.

So get the suspension first. If you can get the SSD, it helps.

Also keep plenty of tread on the rear tires.

erac4019
01-07-2005, 07:26 AM
I probably should have mentioned that I will be racing XC not MX, but in my original question that did not matter. All that I really wanted to know was if my WORKS Triple rate front shocks and stock rear should could be converted to SSD. The Works shocks are 100x's better than the stck fronts but I would like a little lower ride height if I am going to race.

528ATVRacewear
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
You should definately give Derisi a call. I hear he can do wonders with Works shocks and I'm sure he can get the rear working great.

eagertorace
01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 528ATVRacewear
You should definately give Derisi a call. I hear he can do wonders with Works shocks and I'm sure he can get the rear working great.

get rid of those works shocks, it's too expensive to revalve or rebuild them. (the older ones) they have check balls instead of valve shims. I've already checked into this. I've got axis now.

xct250r
01-07-2005, 09:58 PM
I had GT Thunder do what you asking about on my 250r shocks. started w/works front and stock rear, put on new comp. adj. res and lines on front. rebuild/revalve front and rear, new sag springs front and rear, and new rear main spring. $570 w/return shipping. I've only raced 2-3 of the big local XC races in MO, AR and 1 trip to dunes since work was done. but I can tell you this was the best money I've spent. totally satisifed w/quality of work and my shocks work every bit as good as the PEP, Elka, and Axis shocks I've rode on my buddies 400 EX's.

erac4019
01-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by eagertorace
get rid of those works shocks, it's too expensive to revalve or rebuild them. (the older ones) they have check balls instead of valve shims. I've already checked into this. I've got axis now.

I've only had them on for about a year or so, I'll check into what I have.

erac4019
01-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by xct250r
I had GT Thunder do what you asking about on my 250r shocks. started w/works front and stock rear, put on new comp. adj. res and lines on front. rebuild/revalve front and rear, new sag springs front and rear, and new rear main spring. $570 w/return shipping. I've only raced 2-3 of the big local XC races in MO, AR and 1 trip to dunes since work was done. but I can tell you this was the best money I've spent. totally satisifed w/quality of work and my shocks work every bit as good as the PEP, Elka, and Axis shocks I've rode on my buddies 400 EX's.

Are they now SSD/ZPS? How much did it lower your R?

Rico
01-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah the feller at Chee T THumper can rebuild some work shocks like nobody else...:scary:

xct250r
01-08-2005, 08:04 AM
ZPS/SSD. I run XC, TT, ST, and been to the dunes once (plan on going back). running stock linkage and crossover spacers as Laz. sent them to me. I get enough sag to run xc and tt/st as is but if I were only going to run tt/st i would put shorter sag/crossover spacers on front and lowering link in rear for another inch of sag of just get shorter decicated front shocks. I'm no in shape kid either, 6'1" 240lb 30 year old. I run B or C XC depending on series. Won the C class in Parts unlimited race in Decatur, AR 2004 on this setup and can tell you it wouldn't have happened w/o shock setup. killed rings on start and had next to no power for 2 hours (being the only 2 st. starting with 25 piped 4 strokes kind of makes in hard to hear your engine). Won 2002 2 stoke open class at River Front GP in Ft. Smith, AR and won class at 2002 Flat River GP in Park Hills, Mo on Raptor. Not trying to brag just wanting to let you know I giving advice on mature experience. Shane McClelland

mwmg416
01-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I did this same set up on a 400ex for xc. Works triple rates with ressies converted to ssd and stock rear valved and changed to ssd by The Quad Shop. It did not ride much better than before. I felt it was a waste of $500 and went to Elkas all around. If you really plan on racing just buy better shocks. Thats what you will probable end up doing anyway. Just my opinion.