PDA

View Full Version : TRX450R Production moving to Kumamoto, Japan

HP1
01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Excerpt from a Summary of the 2004 Year End Speech by Honda CEO Takeo ***ui:

"ATV production in North America will be consolidated at the South Carolina plant, while production of models such as the TRX450R will be transferred from Ohio to the Kumamoto plant in Japan, in order to further strengthen Japan's function as the global hub in supporting expansion of overseas operations. "

Here's a link:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=314032

chad502ex
01-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by HP1
Excerpt from a Summary of the 2004 Year End Speech by Honda CEO Takeo ***ui:

"ATV production in North America will be consolidated at the South Carolina plant, while production of models such as the TRX450R will be transferred from Ohio to the Kumamoto plant in Japan, in order to further strengthen Japan's function as the global hub in supporting expansion of overseas operations. "

Here's a link:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=314032

no no no, the move is because the japanese know fuel injection better. heh!

Rich250RRacer
01-06-2005, 02:10 PM
THANK GOD!

XANDADA
01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
I wonder if they will still be assembled in the US? Shipping complete quads would have to be a ****** from Japan to the US:huh

kgbg
01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
The way these guys ship things, it is not a big deal. They have distribution down pat.

Ex_Rider43
01-06-2005, 03:19 PM
if the parts will be fabricated in japan... they will be alot more pricier. look at the fenders, they are made in the US and they sell very cheap.just like the 400ex

tamehart
01-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Japan has little to no resources but have the logistics figured out. Look at toyota, they don't make hardly any of their products but the cars are merly assembled in Japan. Hopefully this will be beneficial for Honda and they will be able to invest more money into ATV racing....

chad502ex
01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ex_rider52
if the parts will be fabricated in japan... they will be alot more pricier. look at the fenders, they are made in the US and they sell very cheap.just like the 400ex

bingo!

Honda
01-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, that is good and Bad!

Good because, the shorter and smarter, not to mention harder working Japanese will assemble the R with more care and precision.:chinese:

Bad! Your 450R parts are going to SKYROCKET!:ermm:

rowlrag
01-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Well, that is good and Bad!

Good because, the shorter and smarter, not to mention harder working Japanese will assemble the R with more care and precision.:chinese:

Bad! Your 450R parts are going to SKYROCKET!:ermm:
AMEN Brother:)

Smoker
01-07-2005, 06:23 AM
It's a sad state of affairs but I agree with Honda 100%. Look at the 250r frame, they would crack and break but look at the abuse they took first. To have bikes less that a year old breaking from fatigue is ridiculious, partially poor engineering, the rest bird poop welds from that guy who got baked at lunch because he's tired of all the baby momma drama at home. I just think they will be built a little better.:p

Martin Blair
01-07-2005, 09:02 AM
im happy with my 04 Its made in america and im proud of that, I will just start getting plastics and parents from afertermarket retalors, havent had a frame problem yet, just change rear shock setup and it will be fine.

01-07-2005, 10:06 AM
i'm not sure that i agree with the "parts prices are going to sky rocket" idea. Just about everything made overseas (i'm talking mainly japan and china) is cheaper. I hate to see stuff like this happen. This country is too dependent on other countries. We are no longer self sufficient. And that is very, very sad considering this country started out with nothing. So, anyway. I don't think prices will sky rocket.

ajr400ex
01-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Compare 300ex (Japan) part prices to 400ex (US) and 450r prices. 400 and 450 prices are alot cheaper. Steering stem ~$50 compared to ~$180, plastic...., tie rods..... If they actually move parts production I think prices could go up. This could mean they are taking the sport segment more serious knowing the competition is heating up (moving closer to headquarters). Yamaha has rumors of a revamped model in 2006 as well as Suzuki's 450.

Smoker
01-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I wish everything we buy could be from America, but the sad fact is most foreign stuff is superior. I know it's debatable but look at cars and electronics. I think the reason you pay more isn't so much the importing, just the quality control factors are higher. Honestly though, they could build bearings and bushings that didn't wear out like the do, why would they, parts are part of the income. I'm pretty happy with my 450r but I hate the idea of the potential frame problems, and it doesn't appear that the swingarm is any different than the 400ex swinger, so imagine they'll start shattering like they did on the 400's. 88-89 250r's had aluminum swingarms and could take years of beating. I wish they would engineer things better than just good enough. :p

98red
01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I think the parts prices will soar also.. Ever wonder why parts for the 300ex is SO much more than the 250ex, 400ex..they come from Japan..

01-07-2005, 06:12 PM
this OEM price increase will be good for aftermarket companies and better for racing and sponsorships

450Rkid
01-07-2005, 08:36 PM
In my metal shop class my teacher tells me the metal prices are slowly going down and dont get me wrong i love the USA but honda will think about them selfs before their customers cost wise. they can pay a person in japan damn near 1/2 or 3/4 less than a american worker.