PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to paint cars

chucked
01-05-2005, 04:45 PM
I just bought a truck and I will be painting it in the spring. I have painted many machines before (heavy equipment like loaders, bulldozers, skid steers, conveyors...) But I have never painted a car.
What is the best type of paint and what all will I need? I have a hvlp gun on order from the snap-on guy.

Any tips are appreciated

Fender Bender
01-05-2005, 05:13 PM
If you just want a basic color, a good paint would be PPG. If you want a wider variety of colors, pearls, flakes, or metallics I would go with House of Kolor. It is quite a bit more expensive though. You will need to buy reducers also. Are you planning on doing body work as well?

chucked
01-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Fender Bender
If you just want a basic color, a good paint would be PPG. If you want a wider variety of colors, pearls, flakes, or metallics I would go with House of Kolor. It is quite a bit more expensive though. You will need to buy reducers also. Are you planning on doing body work as well?
no, body is in good shape.

chucked
01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
i am just going to be repainting it black

Guy400
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by chucked
i am just going to be repainting it black You picked the worst color to use for a first time paint job. Black will show every little imperfection. Your truck body may look like it's in good shape now but after you spray it black I guarantee you it will look like someone took a sack of walnuts to it.

Bubba
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
from what i've heard, black is one of the hardest colors to paint. just because you will be able to see any imperfections and stuff. Just remember, prep work is one of the most crucial steps.
If your going to paint it black look over the body over and over, because if u miss a knick or ding, you will most likely see it when your done. (learned some of this from charlie on american hotrod :cool: )

Bubba
01-05-2005, 06:19 PM
guy400 beat me to it :D

chucked
01-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Bubba
from what i've heard, black is one of the hardest colors to paint. just because you will be able to see any imperfections and stuff. Just remember, prep work is one of the most crucial steps.
If your going to paint it black look over the body over and over, because if u miss a knick or ding, you will most likely see it when your done. (learned some of this from charlie on american hotrod :cool: )

This isnt my first paint job, I have painted probably 12-15 machines. I know how to paint, I just dont know what kind of paint to use because I was never in charge of that part of the process.

mike02ex
01-05-2005, 06:33 PM
worked at body shop for several years, dont care for ppg to much, i have to say go dupont,chroma premier, has an easy mixing system,sprays thin and looks nice and deep, i painted my neon with house of kolor neon orange and it sucked,faded fast and the paint smells terrible;) ,spies and hecker makes exellent clear also. if your nervous about black use single stage black, it goes on thick and acts kind of like a filler, plus single stage will look so deep it will look like you can go swimming in it.

chucked
01-05-2005, 06:53 PM
acrylic or urethane? Urethane is what is used on stock paint jobs I believe.

Stevie-D
01-05-2005, 06:56 PM
make sure there is no oil on the body before you paint it.(oil from hands) it might seem insignificant now, but about a year down the road when the paint starts peeling in places, you'll wish you had;)

kicken250x
01-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by mike02ex
worked at body shop for several years, dont care for ppg to much, i have to say go dupont,chroma premier, has an easy mixing system,sprays thin and looks nice and deep, i painted my neon with house of kolor neon orange and it sucked,faded fast and the paint smells terrible;) ,spies and hecker makes exellent clear also. if your nervous about black use single stage black, it goes on thick and acts kind of like a filler, plus single stage will look so deep it will look like you can go swimming in it.

ive spent my faiir share of time in a body shop (the last few summers and im the paint guy at school) as well and ive sprayed a few cars with PPG and im not a big fan either...ive sprayed standox, dimont, and dupont. standox seems to spray the best(FOR ME ANYWAY). i really like their black too. most people dont realize that between comapies there are differences in STRAIGHT BLACK. some are deeper, some are lighter more gray looking but you dont really notice it untill you get them right beside each other. i agree with the single stage move as well, it looks GREAT usualy it leaves a dangerously slick glossy finish WITH NO BUFFING!