PDA

View Full Version : Project 250EX Help

darkstar15
01-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey to everbody on EXriders. I'm about to start on my first project quad, a 2004 250EX. I know that ther's not a whole lot of mods for it and please dont suggest a 300EX, I see it too much on the forum . I plan on starting with the suspension since its pretty crappy anyhow. My stepdad's getting new shocks for his 450r shortly so i think ill use his old ones and the a-arm extending kit on e-bay for the front. For the back I plan on using the duralue 2+2 axle. Which shock should I use for the rear? On the issue of power, i plan on using a K&N filter, jet kit, a pipe, and the Powroll bore kit. I want some suggestions on what pipe i should use. I was thinking about the DMC system because I think it looks pretty sweet, but i've heard mixed opinions so i'm asking all of you on opinions of a good COMPLETE system. I also plan on doing the brakes and getting new wheels and tires. I ride in sand mostly so seight is an issue when it comes to tires. Again, suggestions please. I've heard Geckos were good. I there is anything I left out please tell me. I know it wont be crazy fast and i dont car. When I want to go fast I'll ride the 450r. Sorry for the length of the post.

darkstar15
01-05-2005, 05:27 PM
anyone there??????????
PLZ POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-05-2005, 08:51 PM
get razar mx front and rear tires.....and a hmf......i have them on my project 300ex....ive used the hmf before and i love it.....i had never tried the razars but my friend has them for his 450r...and he loves them

darkstar15
01-06-2005, 07:30 AM
I know razrs are good tires...I've got a pair on the back. I need suggestions on paddle tires. As i said i ride in sand mostly. The razrs seem to do more digging than gripping when in the sand and are a little too aggresive on any other type of terrain. I want something that's light that will let me turn (no strait paddles).

priebo15
01-06-2005, 12:47 PM
wouldnt recommend the bore kit, i've only heard bad stories...but heres my future mod plans for my 250ex:

durablue 2+2 or 4+4 havent decided yet (the eliminator +2 is changeable to a +4)

durablue graph lite front spacers or flip the rims

razr mx's front and rear

works shocks

hmf exhaust

k&n jets (very soon)

dg nerfs (coming very soon)

i plan to cut my plastics (front AND back)

maier back number plate

and what i have so far is in my sig

darkstar15
01-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Everything i read here says the bore kit is bad news. A few people around here swapped a 250EX head onto their recons and installed the kit and it worked fine. The only problem with all of them is that they smoked for few hours. The dude that installed them said it smoke because of the lube he used to slide the pistons into the cylender. On atvforms.com (my name is elementskater15 there) i suggested using a turbo setup, but threw the idea out because the parts became unavailable. I am thinking about resurecting the idea. Any thougts or suggestions??? I want to use an intercooled T25 turbo at six pounds of boost. I know some people will flip out and suggest a different atv. I can get the parts cheap because there is a guy parting out his Mitsu eclipse GSX down the street from me. I saw a turbo 230 Kawi and it was wicked. That thing was killing 400EXs and and KFX400s all day long. Anyhow, its a thought. It would sure as he11 be different, too.

YFZ450Ridr
01-06-2005, 05:13 PM
u can take a banshee front shock and mount it up on the rear.

priebo15
01-06-2005, 05:18 PM
that'd be too long wouldnt it?
how bout a 300 or 400ex rear?

darkstar15
01-07-2005, 07:25 AM
I takes a while for yall to post, I guess a lot of you are on the west coast. I'm over here in sunny (caugh, caugh) Florida. Anyhow, I didn't know a Banshee shock would fit the back. that's pretty sweet. You could get some awsome travel. A local guy just totaled his banshee. Unless he's fixing it, i could have an elka shock on the back for really cheap. He had the serviced the day before he wrecked, too. Oh yea, somethinh reallr awesome happened testerday. My stepdad was visiting a friend and he was given a pair of Geckos on Douglas blue labels. Too bad they're going on the 450r. Still, that kicks major *****. Thanks for the posts and please give me some feedback on the turbo idea (yes, I am serious about that)

YFZ450Ridr
01-07-2005, 04:33 PM
is it possible to have an extended swing arm on a 250ex? i wouldnt think so because of the shaft drive. but if u got a longer shaft connecting the engine to the rear drive, it could be possible i guess, maby sometihng to consider.

darkstar15
01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
It is possible to do anything to a 250EX, it just takes a lot of $$$. I haven't ever heard of an extende swingarm on a 250EX, although some one, somewhere has probobly done it. The only reason I see an extended swingarm being useful is drag racing. In that case, I just go to our school's welding shop an amake a wheelie bar. Also, I know there isn't any aftermarket plastics made for the 250, but is there any way to paint plastics? I'm pretty sure they're just urethane which is the OEM material for car bumpers.

ckasper18
01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Just remember if you go with smaller than stock tires you will loose a lot of top end speed so if your looking at getting different tires get close to the size that is stock.We had a customer put smaller tires on his 250ex aand he broke the drive shaft from the extra torque .Just something to think about....

darkstar15
01-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I plan on getting 21 inch tall geckos and have a pair of 22 inch razr 2s on the back right now. I dont think one inch will hurt any thing too badly. Still though, that sucks that the dude broke the driveline. I didn't think that 250EX had enough power to break anything like that. Learned something today:)

bens250ex
01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
some compamny just came out with +2 aarms for a 250ex

priebo15
01-17-2005, 04:24 PM
that some company is herrmann racing lol, go ahead and spend almost 600 bucks on them lol..i think i'll wait a little bit for them

darkstar15
01-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Finally. . . someone cares about my little EX. Yay:D
But for $600 I'll go for a pipe and filter. That's still awesome

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-20-2005, 10:37 PM
i think the t 25 might be a little bit to big of a turbo by the time it would spool up on the 250ex motor you would have to shift and be at to low of an rpm you might want to look into a turbo off a ford probe or a mitzu 14g. the ford probe turbo spools up at about 2200 rpm on the probe and is good to 16 psi. you would have to do some major retro fitting to get oil to the turbo. if you dont no alot about turbos id research and research and then research some more. i had a 93 tsi but killed it cuz i wasnt aware of all the other stuff you had to do to boost more... even tho it pulled super hard at 16 psi for a week till it went kaboom.. lol

darkstar15
01-21-2005, 02:31 PM
If i can find a 14g i will end up going with that. Greddy has an even smaller turbo but i cant find it on their website. I know il need a clutch upgrade, port and polished head, shot peened rod, wastegate, blow off valve, and some jets. And if your wondering how muck i know about turbos, i put one on my friend's R1 street bike. He had to do all the welding but i know how everything works and goes together.The wastegat goes between the engine and turbine to regulae boost. The Blow off valve(BOV) sits betwwen the compressor ans intake to vent off air after the butterfly closes. See? I know a thing or three about force induction. :blah:

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-21-2005, 04:42 PM
go on brush your sholders off! im still learning on them alot. you might wanna also get your piston shaved to allow more boost and a bigger carb along with all the other mods you listed. personaly i think it be sweet to see the smallest ex smoke a shee

darkstar15
01-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I dont know if it will smoke a banshee like this (a modded one anyway), but it will still be pretty wild :D I dont know how much compression it has, but it cant be too much for only 6 pounds of boost. Shaving the piston is a good idea, but considering how small the pistin an the stock 250 is, it might cause a major melt-down. I dont think anybody make a bigger carb for the 250EX but a carb from another quad might be able to be modified to fit. By the way, thanks for the compliment, or sarcasm, whatever one it is it made me happy for a few minutes. Ride Red:devil: !!!!

priebo15
01-23-2005, 10:53 AM
that would be tits to see a 250 flyin down the strip ahead of somethin like a 400ex

darkstar15
01-23-2005, 04:54 PM
All the support for this rocks!!! Thanks for the compliments and interest in the project. I am definetly going F/I on the ole' honda. Kudos to everybody, thanks.:cool:

heavyd119
01-30-2005, 07:09 PM
get the powroll bore kit. it comes with a high lift rocker arm which works pretty good. get the machine shop to go all out on your engine, get the heads milled and ported, i should have done that when i sent my cylinder off to get it bored. if you put the turbo on it don't get the kit because you'll need a lower compression ratio. duncan racing and sparks make exhaust systems for the 250. i'd get the frame powder coated, that would cool. powroll makes a vented valve cap that is supposed to relieve crankcase pressure, i haven't heard anything about that. if you have alot of money i'd get the a-arms from harmann racing instead of that a-arm widening kit off ebay. but if you have that much money a yzf-450 or a trx450 would still be faster after all these mods.

darkstar15
02-01-2005, 01:10 PM
i know it wouldn't be as fast as a trx450 or yfz450. My stepdad's got a 450r I can ride when i want to go crazy fast. In the very first post i said that it wouldn't be really fast and dont care.

jgracing
02-03-2005, 07:47 PM
so what all are you looking to use this quad for?

darkstar15
02-04-2005, 07:08 AM
I'll be using the "beast":blah: for the dunes mostly. By the way everyone, I've got to drop the forced induction idea. I was at our local riding spot the other And the 230 turbo kawi i was talking about showed up. He was killing everybody like usual when BOOM!!!!!!!!! :cuss: He snapped his rod into and threw it out the bottom of his crank case. I know i can prevent that from happening but i'm not taking any chances. Sorry I got everybody hyped up for this. I'll just stick with the bore kit, web camshaft, and sparks exhaust. I saw that 250 in the gallery that had a 28mm carb on it. Any idea on what kind of carb it is???