PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Killer

04-24-2002, 11:35 PM
I have recently purchased a new 2002 400ex, and have already added on a White Bros E-series silencer. What is it going to take to out run Banshees and Raptors. A 416, a big bore kit, what will be the death of the local Yamahas.:devil I'm tired of hearing " a banshee will out run it". I want to hear a Banshee won't out run it.

04-25-2002, 06:01 AM
Sorry to stray off but does your 400 run good with just your exhaust put on it or have you done anything else to it?

Thanks

Brad

04-25-2002, 11:58 AM
The bike runs alright and sounds drastical different. The only problem I have had is it has slowed down. The problem is it's running lean and I haven't rejetted it yet. Installation of the e-series pipe was easy and only took about 10 min. The pipe is very well built.Even with the bike not rejetted you can note the difference in the power curve.

xfox250x
04-25-2002, 01:04 PM
i heard a 440ex will beat a stock raptor

Jim300ex
04-25-2002, 01:13 PM
ya i heard that too and it was in a yamaha forum... but the same guy that said that said his piped raptor would beat the same EX so it might have been BS

PDunes300ex
04-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Everybody and their mother has an opinion on this...I'd say concentrate on your suspension and small mods...if you wanted to outrun banshees...you should have bought one and modded it. Realisitcally heavy engine mods are the only thing that will even come close. 416-440 will get you close but then the banshee guys will just get pipes..reeds..headwork and you'll be eating his dust again. The 400 does not compete in straight line speed...sorry

400exJOE
04-25-2002, 02:45 PM
rejet soon!Running a quad lean for too long can cause some bad damage. get the K&N power kit w/ the filter and the jets. To beat a ratpor, you need a bigbore, 416, 425, 440 and a good cam.

MoparTrav
04-25-2002, 02:56 PM
has anyone used a stroker crank on the 400's and see how that does.

400exJOE
04-25-2002, 03:07 PM
I think a lot of people have used them. Just about anything over 440 have a stroker crank and heavy duty rod. The problem with this is that it is pricey. There is a lot you can do before you stroke a 400 though. Port, polish, filter, exhaust, cam, valve job, bore, compression, head mods, carb, ...etc.

MoparTrav
04-25-2002, 03:14 PM
but if u could hit the stoker crank, piston, cam, rocker's and valves all at the same time u are really going to be pulling, i dont know how it would work in a 4wheeler but on a car with the longer stroke crank, it takes a little bit longer to rap the rpm's out unless your pushing some serious power. maybe u could even get a little more room through each gear, i dont know?

04-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Last night a friend and I raced against each other. He has a stock Banshee except for FMF Expansion chambers and pipes, it has also been rejetted. My 400 only has the E series slip on an the airbox opened up. I could jump him off the line, but then he would come around. The only thing was I could hang right with him and he couldn't pull off. I think with a cam change it will be better.:devil

Live2Ride300
04-28-2002, 10:20 AM
Have you rejetted yet after putting the E-series on, and removing the air box? If you havent yet, its probably a very good idea to do so!

A4StrokeGuy
04-28-2002, 10:34 AM
Well i'm sorry to spoil the party and what but if u want to be faster then a banshee y not buy a R or a shee. I'm a loyal EX fan but y dump thousands into a 4 stroke when u can put a thousand into a two stroke and get 60 hp. Its a losing battle my friend, when in doubt get a 2 stroke. Thats going to be my next mod, a new quad, the loley ex just can't hang in the dunes with the big boys. By the time u put a piston, cam, valves, valve springs, a carb and a pipe on an EX u have about 1k in it and probably 10 more hp, u put that same 1k into a R or a banshee u can easily get 50-60 hp. Just my 2 sense, its an uphill battle

Jordan

Chef
04-28-2002, 11:41 AM
You dont positively HAVE to be stroked to get over 440 (435) You can make a 465 without stroking it, then you put a 6 mil stroker and its 505...You know what really sucks, is that if my ex and banshee are both running on gas, the banshee walks away...now on the other hand, if my ex is on alcohol and the banshee is on gas, its a whole lot closer, and the ex will win about 3 out of 6...it all depends on how much money you have....

What do you guys think about nitromethane?...:devil

04-28-2002, 02:45 PM
I don't really know if this is realivent to what you guys are talkin about but if you take a stock shee and a stock 400ex and race them on a mx track the 400Ex with win 4 outta 5 times. Now Drag racing is a different story. On the trake the 400's handlingn is to much for the shee to handle. It just can't compete on teh track.

Just my .02

PsychoDave
04-28-2002, 03:32 PM
i said it before and i will say it again...last week i crushed 21 banshees in a drag race across a field.....it was a very long field and we races 6 times.....from a roll from a stopped start....i even let them say start....the shees were piped jetted reeds etc.....i know this because they were myt friends....and just yesterday i crushed a raptor with work.....i have rode all of the bikes i have beat (again they are my friends) but i cant explain why i beat them....i am not superman and i dont have superquad. i personally think they dont know how to ride well because the banshee should be faster...in fact all 2 strokes should be faster in a drag. This is not a flame either....just my results!!!

400exRacerX
04-28-2002, 03:35 PM
You raced 21 banshees??? Jeez Dave, you got alot of friends that ride.:D

PsychoDave
04-28-2002, 03:49 PM
it should be 2 i thought i changed it ....whoopsie....no bs my 416 came out great....

PsychoDave
04-28-2002, 03:50 PM
i know i will catch he!! for that

400exRacerX
04-28-2002, 03:51 PM
I know my 416 huals balls,,, although I was running the 170 main jet for awhile until I realized I was running extremely lean. I'm at a 190 main jet now and the 416 purrrs. I think its time for the new carb!! Dave you should come up to jack frost next sunday the 5th.

Norm

PsychoDave
04-28-2002, 03:56 PM
i have a 170 in now...do ya think i should get a 190....oh by the way i streched all the head cover bolts....i didnt break one of them but i had to replace them all...another 40 bucks....

400exRacerX
04-28-2002, 04:20 PM
The only way you'd know if you had to go richer is put a new plug in run it for a day and look at what color it is.

White- lean
Brown- perfect
Black- rich

Guy400
04-28-2002, 04:55 PM
The only problem I see here with all these "you need a 416 or 440 to win" is that that's only a partial truth. A bore kit will NOT allow you to beat Raptor's and Shee's on the top end (like the author asked about). There's been other threads about this before and I've explained in them that top speed is a facet of gearing. The 400EX rev box and gearing won't allow the quad to run Raptor and Shee top speeds. There's only a few ways you can increase your top speed:
1. Remove the rev limiter or raise it's limit.
2. Increase your rear tire size.
3. Change gearing (larger front sprocket or smaller rear)

Now, this is assuming that your current 400EX is pulling to the rev limiter (even if it doesn't the limiter is set so that you won't gain a whole lot of top end). You can have a 75hp motor but if you leave the rev limiter in place you won't go a click faster. I'll oversimplify it, think of it this way: You've got 2 electric drills. One is a 1/4hp 3000RPM and the other is a 3/4hp 3000RPM--which drill goes faster? They're both the same speed! Even though one's got 3 times the HP they both have the same speed. These bore kits will increase your acceleration and you may beat these Yamaha's up to the 400's rev limit but after that they'll walk right past you.

PsychoDave
04-28-2002, 05:12 PM
that makes sense...deep down i know that my 416 should not beat a piped shee...

Nausty
04-28-2002, 05:18 PM
A 400ex with beat a raptor just about anywhere except for when you are in the open area's, sand, and at the drag strip. The raptor and banshee cost about 1k more than a 400ex so you put in a good cam, harden rockers, high compression piston, k&n filter and a slip on or full exhaust system and you are at about the same amount of power as a raptor or really close.

ChadEXer
04-29-2002, 08:34 AM
Alky, you said the 92mm piston(I think) and a 6 mil stroke makes it 505! Im not sure of this but it seems like I remember Tom telling me he was stroking it 7 mil! he told me he is just about the only one who strokes it that far. I may be mistaken and another one of the builders i talked to told me that but im thinking it was Tom. So if so what piston would he use to make it a 505??

04-29-2002, 08:48 AM
Yo dude, i dont think that anything less than a top and bottom end rebuild with white brothers modifications on all of your bike to beat banshees and raptors. To make your 400ex go faster than the local banshees and raptors its going to take alot of money and a heck of alot of work

Peace

Yodice

MR.EX-TREME
04-29-2002, 08:57 AM
"440-edelbrock carb-big gun - rev limit over ride-race gas-20 horse nitrous" makes the shees scream!! lol:devil

Wheelie
04-29-2002, 09:44 AM
Chadexer--

A 92mm piston and a 6mm stroker crank gives you 505cc.

ChadEXer
04-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Chadexer--

A 92mm piston and a 6mm stroker crank gives you 505cc.
Thats what i was thinking,,but it seems like Tom said he was stroking it 7mm. What piston size would he be putting in it then??? To make it a 505?

Wheelie
04-29-2002, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I screwed up last time.

A 91.5mm piston and a 7mm stroker would yield 506cc.

What kind of HP is that sucker going to pump out?

ChadEXer
04-29-2002, 12:26 PM
I asked Tom how much HP and he says he has never dyno'ed a 505 but he says he guarantees me it will be over 60hp!,,,but there are a few 465's that i know of that will push around 62-63 hp,,,so im hoping it will hit the 70 mark!! i will have it dyno'ed when I get it and i will let you know what it does!

Wheelie
04-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Holy shat!! That's going to be one bad mofo.:D :devil

ChadEXer
04-29-2002, 02:00 PM
I hope so!!!!

sabertooth
05-01-2002, 10:52 PM
A good friend of mine has a 01 banshee and we ride quite a bit. We both have about the same dollars in our mods. I haven't done any bore kits. Just 11-1 piston, xr 400 cam, k&n power-up kit, big gun exhaust, and white bros rev limiter. Not sure what all he did but he said he has about $1,000 into it, which is about where I am at. His shee was faster and my ex was quicker. We are pretty competitive and I could beat him pretty bad in trails and he would beat me on longer stretches. I changed both my sprockets and we are close in accelleration now, but we are also close in top speed. Plus I have the ex suspension under me!!!

Andrew400ex
10-07-2002, 05:43 PM
bro,u want a fast 400? but a 440 kit with higher than a 11:1 compression ratio,a good cam(hot cam,web cam,etc.), edelbrook carb,and a exhaust syste,u'll beat any close to stcok banshee in the dirt and be right next to raptors,but since u got a 400 u will out handle them both..good luck

cerberus
10-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Holy moly..... I hate to even get into this, but here goes.

For the most part, there are no absolutes in racing. Two strokes make power every stroke, four strokes every other. So, it's always any uphill battle there.

Also, one race, or even several races with a consistent winner, does not a faster/quicker bike make the next race day. Changes in temperature, humidity, available traction, rolling resistance, unsprung weight (tires/wheels, etc.), gearing, jetting, distance raced, incline/decline of dragstrip, mechanical failures, and on, and on, and on, all contribute each and every time the clutch is dropped. He who hath the most variables in his favor, combined with riding ability (the biggest variable of all), usually wins.

My 406 with 11.5:1, Hotcams S2, K&N, and Pro Circuit is a match for my buddy's 440 with similar mods (different cam and valve work) on level pavement. Up an incline, his torque shines through. At the 100 yard sand drags, he handed me my ***. But, swap my 20 pound apiece Sand Devils for his custom grooved ultra light Sand Skate II's, and it goes back the other way.

Sorry to get up on my horse here, but I get very tired of hearing people say, "I saw XYZ bike outrun ABC bike, so XYZ is faster/better." If you push the most fuel/air mixture through that cylinder, have lighter weight, more traction, less rolling and wind resistance, and can drive the thing, you're hard to beat, no matter what kind of bike you're on.

Always remember, anyone who tells you that something is an absolute (other than the obvious), is most of the time full of it. You can bet on that.

Sorry to rant and rave...

Castor-426ex
10-07-2002, 08:04 PM
it dont matter...rider....ahem..lol

i had to put my 2cents in..:)

stocktires
10-08-2002, 09:57 AM
I didnt read the thread, but...

Are you wanting to beat yamaha's at drag's? MX? TT? XC? what?

I takes a tricked out R to even keep up with a piped shee! As for a 400, it would be better to just do a motor swap (YZ or CRF)