PDA

View Full Version : bolt extration???

440freak
01-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I have a problem. I have an 01' 440 and the ride side peg bolts snapped... I dont think the guy that owned it before me used the right bolts when he put the nerf bars on. Unfortunately i now have a bolt in my frame and no peg so i cant ride. I've tried to drill it out with a couple different drill bits. I thouhgt for sure the 12 dollar bit i bought would do the trick but nothing. That was my last idea. If anyone has any good ideas please let me know...

Aceman
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Well, since you drilled the bolt out I don't know how much meat is left but you could try welding a washer onto the bolt, then welding a nut to the washer and try turning it out. If that doesn't work, get a drill bit small enough to drill the bolt out without damaging the threads and drill all the way through it. Then take a tap with the right metric thread pitch and chase the rest of the bolt out of the threads. I'd tell you to use a reverse drill bit but if you think the bolt is cross threaded using a reverse drill bit won't make a difference. Sometimes you get lucky using a rev. drill bit and it will turn the bolt out while you are drilling.

01-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Did you buy a titanium drill bit? Go buy a set of good quality titanium drill bits and start with a small drill bit first. The key to drilling into very hard metal is to turn the drill at very slow rpm's and use alot of lubrication on the bit as you are drilling. Alot of people run the bit at high speed and that wears off the coating on the bit in a hurry. Once you get almost to the same diamater of the broken bolt, just tap out the hole.

CRE Performance
01-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Kyle_TQRA
Did you buy a titanium drill bit? Go buy a set of good quality titanium drill bits and start with a small drill bit first. The key to drilling into very hard metal is to turn the drill at very slow rpm's and use alot of lubrication on the bit as you are drilling. Alot of people run the bit at high speed and that wears off the coating on the bit in a hurry. Once you get almost to the same diamater of the broken bolt, just tap out the hole.

Right on! However, talking about buying "good" titanium drill bits, you might wanna find a place that sells them individually becuase my "good" drill bits I bought 6 years ago were $329 a set:eek: There agian, I use them constantly so I had to get good ones:)

440freak
01-07-2005, 12:40 PM
the bolt snapped off inside the frame so theres nothing to weld to but i will look into the titanium bits. And I didnt know about the slow speed instead of the faster speed thanks thats a good tip. Thanks for the helpfull replies.