View Full Version : Stereo gurus in here Please!!

RUNMYTA
01-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Here is my problem... I just added 2 12in. Legacy Pro's in a single reflex bandpass and a Legacy 770 amp (2X500) to my '02 Durango R/T!! ""I do not"" want to change the Head Unit (Factory Infinity system) so I used a Low Level converter and taped into the speaker wires after the factory amp. Now when I crank it up it rocks until the first bass note hits then the factory system takes over and turns the volume down to protect the factory speakers.

Is this controlled by the head unit or the factory amp? If by the amp I can tap in before it and should be OK, if it is the head unit is there anything I can do??? Thanks! :chinese:

Samson
01-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Don't know why you would tap into it after the amp? Before the amp, you wouldn't need a converter.

Should have bought a crossover to split the wires and a better amp for the doors. You'd get a h@ll of a lot more volume. No sense in the doors competing with the subs.

JHF219
01-05-2005, 09:29 AM
you seriously need to bypass the factory ampilifier.... the factory amplifier will only distort the signal that your aftermarket amp will recieve. I seriously advise getting rid of your factory head unit you would be greatly suprised what kind of difference an aftermarket head unit will make!!

Samson
01-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Give you less "hiss" anyway.

Don't blame him though. With the odd-ball shapes manufacturers are using nowdays, an aftermarket unit never seems to look quite right.

JHF219
01-05-2005, 09:46 AM
oh im not blaming him at all i agree 100% that the factory radios look better but they never produce the same quality sound. I ran my 3 12" JL Audios off my factory unit for awhile but got aggrivated with the sound quality !! needless to say i now have an in dash DVD player it looks pretty good :devil:

RUNMYTA
01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
I dont want to change out the head unit. I have no hiss whatsoever! My question is will tapping into the wires (factory Head Unit has NO pre outs) before the factory amp help with the volume control that happens when the stock speakers feel a load more than they can handle?:confused:

JHF219
01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by RUNMYTA
I dont want to change out the head unit. I have no hiss whatsoever! My question is will tapping into the wires (factory Head Unit has NO pre outs) before the factory amp help with the volume control that happens when the stock speakers feel a load more than they can handle?:confused:

I think you need to bypass the factory amp all togethor? in my expedition that is what i had to do they had a factory amp for the factory sub and it had to be bypassed(eliminated). I think if you tap in before the amp you would be better off then tappin after the amp you gotta think the signal coming out is a lot stronger then what is going in!!

crux131
01-05-2005, 04:21 PM
First, you need to either install your line out converter pre factory amps. The factory amplified signal is raising input to a higher voltage than the converter can handle.

The next part is just general, I am not familiar with dodge factory istalled infinity systems, so it may not apply....ask a local installer if you can't figure it out...nothing wrong for paying someone, if they can do it better than you can.....at least if you can afford to.

The converter may not be of any use with the factory head.....a lot of factory "premium" systems use different output voltages than the standard sound system....usually a lower level. You might need to search for a brand specific adapter to add line outs. Look for one specifically for dodge vehicles with the premium systems. try www.metra.com , they may make one. Also might contact www.crutchfield.com , their install help line may be able to tell you, and if necassary, they can probably sell you any adapters needed.

Samson
01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by RUNMYTA

No hiss tells me you're running factory speakers. Get some tweeters, it'll change.

The lines between the head unit and amp are pre-amp outputs, just not rca.

ReconRider25
01-05-2005, 06:01 PM
you seriously need to bypass the factory ampilifier.... the factory amplifier will only distort the signal that your aftermarket amp will recieve. I seriously advise getting rid of your factory head unit you would be greatly suprised what kind of difference an aftermarket head unit will make!!

be carefull when doing this. i installed a head unit, an equalizer with built in amp and had that going to the stock speakers and it was so distorted it was horrible. now im in need of speakers. might just reroute the wires to the 2 boxes i have and run it through those instead of having another amp goin to the boxes.:ermm:

Samson
01-06-2005, 06:55 AM
That's why I suggested the crossover. You want to cut the bass from the doors. Filter out the bass and they'll take a lot more power and get a lot more volume. You'd basically be using them as mid-range speakers. Factory speakers aren't boomers no matter how much power you put to them (usually flat sound imo), but they really do a pretty good job on the mids.