PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong?

DillonTMNT
04-24-2002, 09:53 PM
well I have not taken the engine apart yet but I need some help.....well my quad runs but smokes white smaoke bad...I was told that white smoke is oil. I was told that I probably have to re-build the top end cause the rings are cracked or broken and oil is leaking into the top. There is oil coming out of the part of the engine where the exhaust connects to the engine. can anyone give me a hypothesis to what is happening. If I do ride it (I havent in like a month) I put 2 quarts of oil in it. Can anyone tellme what all I need to get this fixed?. I really appreciate it.

-Dillon:devil

BARRY
04-24-2002, 09:56 PM
SOUNDS LIKE A TOP END FOR SURE TO ME?

04-25-2002, 05:29 PM
MY bike is doing the same thing. I have my motor out right now and when i get it apart i'll tell you exactly whats wrong

DEAL
04-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Either your rings or your valve seals.

bama400ex
04-25-2002, 10:16 PM
yea youll just have to tear into it to be for sure but it is either the rings or the valve seals. the reason its leaking oil from the header pipe is from the pressure of the piston forcing it out.

DillonTMNT
04-26-2002, 03:41 AM
can I buy rings on the internet? I have kind of a rare quad so I would think I would have to call a suzuki dealer and order them direct it is just that dealer prices are always alot more that internet prices. I guess if worst comes to worst then I will get some rings from a dealer. Thanks

Colin400EX
04-26-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by DillonTMNT
can I buy rings on the internet? I have kind of a rare quad so I would think I would have to call a suzuki dealer and order them direct it is just that dealer prices are always alot more that internet prices. I guess if worst comes to worst then I will get some rings from a dealer. Thanks

Check East Coast ATV's (http://216.37.204.206/ecatv/partsfinder.htm) oem parts finder.. They have a section for Suzuki ATV's. (Don't go there for Honda though, servicehonda.com is a lot less..)

Hrm.. Looks like they have rings for your quad for $25-27/each. (part 19 here (http://216.37.204.206/ecatv/Suzuki_OEM/SuzukiATV.asp?Type=13&A=17&B=39)?)

Edit, wrong part.. ;)

04-26-2002, 07:47 AM
you should bore it out i had a 89 250 quadsport that was bore out .30 over and it ran great i could smoke all my friends 300ex's and beat a 400ex off the line but of course the 400 would beat me in top end mine also had a roost boost box on it and shredder x/t and cobra pipe good luck i would have kept mine but it was hard to find parts.

oynot400
04-26-2002, 08:21 AM
Don't get too excited until you get it apart. First off, if it is burning oil it will blow blue smoke and you will be able to smell it, or at least the person behind you! :D Check to make sure that you did not over fill it of oil. Make sure that there is no oil in the crackcase breather.
If it is a ring make sure that you did not score the sleeve. If you did then I would say it is time for a 416 kit.
Hope this helps.....

04-26-2002, 02:44 PM
white smoke is not oil. blue smoke is oil. White smoke is vapor.

Rastus
04-26-2002, 02:53 PM
I heard White smoke was the liquid cooling :) :P

DillonTMNT
04-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Well I pulled the engine today. Well my friend and I pull the whole engine out of my quad and one of the valve stems seemed a little messed up...you know sluggish when running it through. The rings seem good to. There are zero bad marks/grooves in the sleeve so i dont think that is what is makeing it smoke so bad. I am going to take it to the shop and get a expert opinion about it and if I do need to re-sleeve or bore it out or maybe I can just get new rings and that willl fix it. If I do bore it out a little cant I just get oversized rings to use instead of a new larger piston? Well my older bro is coming over Monday and bringing his digital camera so i will get some pics up of the quad and close ups of the engine parts. Maybe if yall see it then maybe you can tell me exactly what is wrong with it. I really do appreciate yalls help on this...it waas my first time ever takeing a engine apart and it was great. In fact my engine in right next tome in my room on a big piece of plywood:devil . Thanks alot..

-Dillon