PDA

View Full Version : I hate ice!!!!! (not with my quad that is)

drifterx
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok, we just had our first winter storm of the season, it took a while, and 1 week ago it was 65 degrees out. It rained then iced over. My school was normal, not late, or getting out early, and the dang principal didn't even make it to school because of the roads. I was driving home in my 92 Pontiac GP, little ice, no big deal. I went around this corner by my house, that isn't a through street, and you have to turn right or left at the end of it. The whole corner was completely cleared off i might add, but the dang road crews didn't bother with the end of it, and it was black ice too, you can't see it. I slowed up, was probably going 10 or 15 because of the ice, and braked bout 20 yards in front of the intersection. My car has no ABS, and locked up, i downshifted to first, thinking that would help, but no. I ran head first into a stupid telephone pole, only going about 10mph. My front end has a big fold into it, my hood is crumbled up, and the crossmember behind the bumper is like bashed in half. The quad mods have to wait for a long time, have to pay for this now. I hate ice! Anyone else have something happen to them going that slow that did that much damage?

Butters
01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
man that is horrible. i would be so pissed i wouldn't know what to do. i feel real sorry for you.

throwinitup
01-04-2005, 09:26 PM
oh man, goto your local salvage yard..alls it sounds like you need is a front bumper cover, bumper structure (this is what your calling a "crossmember"), hood, and maybe a radiator and condensor (did it smash these??)

you can fix this all yourself for under $200, that is, not painted. maybe youll get lucky and find a car the same color as yours.

to find parts, goto www.car-part.com its a worldwide database of parts through salvage yards.. theyll have some from your area..

good luck, and hope this gets your hopes up!

LazeR
01-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Damn man, sorry to hear about that. Ice can be dangerous! My friend was with her cousin Monday, and they hit ice, and spun out and went into a ditch. Luckily it didn't hurt them or the car, but it coulda been a lot worse, when its cold out you gotta drive a lot more careful!

drifterx
01-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys. I wasn't screwing around or anything, and i was driving careful too, guess not careful enough. Ya, the bumper popped back out, and has some cracks in it. The paint flaked off where it stressed. Ya, that was the bumper structrure, knew it wasn't a crossmember. I don't think the condensor it messed up, i drove it home with no problems. But ya, need the structure, hood, i think i can bondo the front end and have it painted, and the hood may be able to be beat out, its just crumbled like tin foil, not folded. I think i can do this stuff myself. I do work like this all the time at my job, bumpers, grilles, lights, alternators, oil changes, tranny flushes, stuff like that.

honduh440
01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
yeah man this sucks im here in kansas as well and we are suppose to be leaving tommorow night at midnight to go skiing in colorado............ im pissed

Butters
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by drifterx
Thanks guys. I wasn't screwing around or anything, and i was driving careful too, guess not careful enough. Ya, the bumper popped back out, and has some cracks in it. The paint flaked off where it stressed. Ya, that was the bumper structrure, knew it wasn't a crossmember. I don't think the condensor it messed up, i drove it home with no problems. But ya, need the structure, hood, i think i can bondo the front end and have it painted, and the hood may be able to be beat out, its just crumbled like tin foil, not folded. I think i can do this stuff myself. I do work like this all the time at my job, bumpers, grilles, lights, alternators, oil changes, tranny flushes, stuff like that.

do you have full coverage?? cause if you do they will pay for that. i hope it doesn't cost you much so you can still do what you wanted to with your money. thats a pisser when you save up for something and you have to fix something that breaks. i would know cause right when i saved up some money the motor in my truck blew and i have been broke every since. good luck!

throwinitup
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
ah...get out the dolley and hammer....

bondo isnt the way to fix a car right! all body men know this! lol..i'm just messin with you...bondo is ok if you dont go over an 1/8th inch thick

ok ok im done with the ASE collision repair 101...

if i were you id buy all the parts, clean em up, shoot em with primer, block em, primer, block em, put your 2 coats of color on (more if it needs it) then your 2-3 coats of clear....and wa-lah you have a new front end... :rolleyes:

throwinitup
01-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Butters
do you have full coverage?? cause if you do they will pay for that. i hope it doesn't cost you much so you can still do what you wanted to with your money. thats a pisser when you save up for something and you have to fix something that breaks. i would know cause right when i saved up some money the motor in my truck blew and i have been broke every since. good luck!

most detuctibles are $250-$500, and he can easily fix the car for under $200....even painted, if he gots some connex...or can do it himself...

drifterx
Originally posted by honduh440
yeah man this sucks im here in kansas as well and we are suppose to be leaving tommorow night at midnight to go skiing in colorado............ im pissed

Ya, from what the news is saying, i think this hit like all of Kansas too. Where you from man? I'm up here in little old Marysville, and as always, there's nothing to do.

MotoX3
i dont like it in cars either and sorry for ur accident....but it got us outta 2 days of school already.....WERE GOIN RIDING TOMMOROW....WOOT WOOT:D

drifterx
01-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by throwinitup
ah...get out the dolley and hammer....

bondo isnt the way to fix a car right! all body men know this! lol..i'm just messin with you...bondo is ok if you dont go over an 1/8th inch thick

ok ok im done with the ASE collision repair 101...

if i were you id buy all the parts, clean em up, shoot em with primer, block em, primer, block em, put your 2 coats of color on (more if it needs it) then your 2-3 coats of clear....and wa-lah you have a new front end... :rolleyes:

Nope, got liability, cheaper for someone my age.

I'm gonna go to the junkyard as soon as this damn weather clears up. I'm only using bondo to patch the crack in the side, its about 4 inches long. But i don't even know what i need to fix yet, i might have to get a new headlight assembly, and some other stuff too. I used that spray paint from wal-mart that is color matched before, and i don't think it works worth a crap. My cousin works at a body shop, and the guy that owns it is a long time friend of my family, so i think he'll make me a good deal on paint if i need it. I'll have them take a look at my car too, and make sure of everything that i need.

I'd be out riding too, out of school today, and tomorrow as well, but my damn 300ex has a front wheel bolt that fell off, so i have to get one yet, or the wheel might just fall off when i'm riding.

honduh440
01-05-2005, 01:36 AM
im in augusta about 10-15 minutes east of wichita

its 230am now i just looked out the window and every thing is pure ice i cant even see any grass its all over the place