PDA

View Full Version : long rod vs. short rod for woods rider

brokeitin3
01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
what would be the better set up to have on the trails in stock form and why?

Scott270R
01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
I like the long rod motor better overall, it gives up some revs but gives more bottom-mid power and should last a bit longer due to less rod angle. A long time ago, I had a long rod engine with the short rod '86 piston with spacer plate Duncan Racing '89 race pipe and reed spacer. I ran the thinner ATC 250R head gasket for more compression. This is a great near stock combo that you can still run pump gas on. If you just want a good trail blaster than this is a very good setup plus its real cheap and reliable as a rock. If you want a little more you can mill the head, run 2 base gaskets and the even thinner '89 cr250 head gasket. The only bad thing is you will need to run race ga$ in it.

beak7707
01-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Bottom line is the long rod is supposed to make more torque and the short rod is supossed to rev faster. I have rode both and can tell very little difference. Honda is no longer making the short rod crank so I would go ahead and just go long rod. As stated in the thread above you can run spacer plate and 86 style piston which is what many people are running. My friend trashed his crank in his 86 and couldnt get one from honda so he just went long rod. I think overall it would be the best setup for you.

MyKe2g3
01-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I have a r with a long rod and short rod. The rod pref just depends on your rsetup and shifting gears. I like the short rod iimo but the long rod is more dependble and is better for top end. The long rod is what most people want in their setups but like i said earlier i like that short rod. I suggest that whatever gear you get to make sure its Oem honda people have had bad luck out of hot rod setups.

brokeitin3
01-06-2005, 07:20 AM
well im planning on doing a long rod w/spacer plate, .20over 86 piston, 88 stock ported cylinder, rad valve, cool head w/19cc dome, fmf fatty pipe. and i think this setup will require at least a 50/50 mix of race gas? and thanks again for all the great info and help:D