PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between dual and triple rate shocks?

tryken
01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I just added +2 a-arms to my 400ex. I am going to run the stock shocks until they blow. Then I will get some affordable aftermarket shocks w/o rezzies. What is the difference between dual and triple rates. I mostly ride open areas, drag race, and ride dunes. I do some jumping. I want an all around shock. There is a TT track not too far away and may even try TT racing someday.

4StrokinJay
01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Stock shocks on +2 a arms!! Dude, that's gonna be a nasty ride.
:eek:

spiderrider04
01-04-2005, 07:49 PM
dual rate has 2 springs and triple rate has 3. some works shocks would probably be ok.

tryken
01-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I knew that about the springs. Does the triple rate make the ride height taller.

spiderrider04
01-04-2005, 07:58 PM
sorry i can't answer that question. i don't know to much about shocks. i know my tcs dual rates aren't ajustable

beak7707
01-04-2005, 09:54 PM
No the tripple rate will lower ride hieght, which is what most people are after. like Elkas the top spring is a (zps) zero preload spring, so the weight of the quad smashes this spring lower ride hieght. You can adjust how mmuch the quad smashes this spring raiseing or lowering your ride hieght. Those stock shocks are proabably going to be horrible on +2's, so when you are ready to buy shock just call some compaines up and they will hook you up with what you need. I would look in Elka econoies, you should be able to find them for under 500 bucks, or look for some used works.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-05-2005, 09:32 AM
A triple rate shock is going to be your best bet. As far as raising the ride height no they are going to be about the same as stock, they will sit alittle lower but not much. If you want a lower ride height you need a shock will a zero preload or ssd device installed.

400grl
01-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't know.....I've ridden dual rate Axis that are just as nice as any triple rate shock....more of something isn't always better - I think it's a matter of how the shock is built, more than how many springs it has........just my .02.

DaleJrFan
01-05-2005, 03:58 PM
for sure go with the triple rates, i just upgraded from my stock shocks to works 3x rates and it is night and day. works may not be the best, but for the price it is a huge upgrade.