View Full Version : Gettin started...

pharit
01-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Well i;d like to start doin some freestyle.

Whats a good set up for my 88 250r. its all stock cept the motor. so i can start anywhere. I was thinkin something along the lines of work preformance shocks dual rate with resi's. Any opinions?

Also a good ramp, nothing really fantastic this way just some jumps with no sort of landing pad. i was thinkin of gettin some dirt hauled in and making a 10 or 15 foot table top but idk alot about building ramps. like how high it should be in the air things like that. I haven;t built a ramp since i was 8 years old on my old bike, now i;m 21 and have no clue what is good to use/ build.

I can do a few tricks right know. Just basic no footers, no handed landers, i tried a Nac nac once on a trailblazer 250 and didn;t come back all the way so i;m a little gun shine, but yet i was on a 500 lb polaris.

Any advice would be great thanks guys.

01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
wats ur budjet? and (my opinion) i would steer away from works at all costs...a free thing u can do that helps is to cut ur fenders some people r against it but i did it and now i feel uncomforterble a quad with un-cut fenders. if ur gunna haul in dirt go biger then 10-15 feet i would make a 30-35 foot table and just jump a lil bit at a time (table top so u wont get hurt by not clearing it) untill u can clear it then wen ur clearing it good cut out the center of it and make another double with that dirt...also wat equipment do u have to use to build the ramp? if u just have a shovel u can still make a nice ramp (proly not a table tho) like i did i made a 30 foot double with just a shovel so i no u can do it.

in ur sig. it says ur 250r is for sale....if u sell it i would buy a 400ex or a yfz if u make enough dough off ur 250r IMO just to get something a little bit more for freestyle.

i think all the freestyle guy here started with the trick u said, they didnt go out n do a superman the first day so dont get discouraged if u cant do something freestyle is all about practice;)

pharit
01-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Well i won;t cut the fenders on my 88 they are the stockers and are in awesome condition. now i can get a set of race cut ones not big deal i kinda wanted to get another set anyway so i don;t **** these all up

As for the equipment i can get ahold of a bobcat and i got my own tractor along with a dump truck So packing the dirt won;t be a problem . And i can work a shovel like you said

Now when you said 30 feet you mean length wise?

Now how do i go about making the angle of the ramp so i can clear the double. also what gear are you guys usually in when do your jumps.

01-05-2005, 02:32 PM
well it all verys i can hit a jump in first and go 20 feet then hit a differnt jump in 5th in 20feet it all depends.....u wanna do freestyle so u want some wat of a steeper lip (not much more tho:chinese: ) but enough to put u high.....u find the steepness u want buy..well just put about to buckets (bobcat buckets) full of dirt where u want ur take off then back drag down the side that u want to be the take off (u can go bigger then 2 buckets but for a smaller jump 2 will be a good start) once u smooth it out a lil bit (this is the fun way) then pull out the quad n just hop off of it if u like the feel jump it goin a lil fast so u go about 10 foot far in if its nice then fill out the rest so that u make it a table and that would be ur jump in freestyle u want distance but u want hight more then that so u have time to pull the stunt and by 30=35 feet i mean distancebut if u want to make a dirt jump that is 10 foot high dont hop off it to get the feeling:eek2: :eek2: cuz u and ur quad will be hurten for jumps like that wen u build them u ahve to put the landing in then pull out ur balls and use them to clear it and if u dout ur self [to much] then dont do it but sike ur self up to it its the same with a new trick if u take one look at it and think is just a lil to big (my method) then go in side drink a dew and listen to ur fav rock song n then wen u go out side if it still looks to big tell ur self ur a lil ***** an d that if u friends saw the jump they wouod be all over it and haven a blast and if that doesnt happen bring over ur buddy that is about the same rideing level as u (wen ever i have a friend over i always jump bigger then if i dont have a frind over so that just my $0.02