View Full Version : 250r TRX Help

Lax
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Hello, I currently have a option to buy a trx250r from my sons friend from school. I have seen a picture from his camera phone, and it is small shot and fuzzy, but it looks decent.

He told me that it was forsale for 900 dollars or 800 I forgot, and might get it for my kids birthday.

He also told me that it had a blown motor, I don't know if it was fixed or not. But what would be a price to fix a blown motor? Thanks

beerock
01-04-2005, 04:37 PM
for that price buy it !!!!!!!!

Lax
01-04-2005, 04:42 PM
You think so? I should refurbish the frame, and over the months make it into a killer. By then Ill take it away from my son and keep it myself :devil:

MyKe2g3
01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
It just depends on the shape its in if the frame is decent and set up like you want it then yes i would buy it but with a blown engine you never know how much money youll be putting in it. A rebuild of your choice can cost between 1k and 3 k. Thats mostly parts and does not even include labor. I highly suggest finding out what happened before you buy it and do some research on it.

Lax
01-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Is there any sites where I can buy a kit?

Also, what exactally happens when a motor is blown?

ESR350r
01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
You need to find out if it just needs a new top end of if it is more serious then that. i have put a new top end in my R for around $200. You would need to get it bored, get a new piston, rings, wrist pin, and wrist pin bearing, and gaskets. I can get mine bored for $30, get a piston, rings, wristpin and wrist pin bearing from anywhere from $60-$150, and you get a gestket set for $30. If there are problems with the crank then you are looking at more money depending on teh damage. If the whole motor is junk you can find one on ebay for easily under 1000, and then you have a nice quad for $1900 which is a good deal for an R. I got a big bore kit, storker crank, carb, reeds, and some other minot parts for under $3000, but if you just want to get it running for your kids to play on just get teh parts and do it yourself, you can easily get it going for under $200 if it is just the top end that is blown. Usually the piston just locks up and it is an easy fix. I would definitly do it yourself so you do not get bent over at a local shop on repairs.

Lax
01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ESR350r
You need to find out if it just needs a new top end of if it is more serious then that. i have put a new top end in my R for around $200. You would need to get it bored, get a new piston, rings, wrist pin, and wrist pin bearing, and gaskets. I can get mine bored for $30, get a piston, rings, wristpin and wrist pin bearing from anywhere from $60-$150, and you get a gestket set for $30. If there are problems with the crank then you are looking at more money depending on teh damage. If the whole motor is junk you can find one on ebay for easily under 1000, and then you have a nice quad for $1900 which is a good deal for an R. I got a big bore kit, storker crank, carb, reeds, and some other minot parts for under $3000, but if you just want to get it running for your kids to play on just get teh parts and do it yourself, you can easily get it going for under $200 if it is just the top end that is blown. Usually the piston just locks up and it is an easy fix. I would definitly do it yourself so you do not get bent over at a local shop on repairs.

Say if it is just a top end, do I need to rebuild the bottom end soon too?

JTRtrx250r
01-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Lax
Say if it is just a top end, do I need to rebuild the bottom end soon too? only if its gettin' close to the service/spec limit, while doing the top end you'll have no reason not to check the lower bearing play, then again for peice of mind you could rebuild the bottem end along w/ the top and know its fresh

sounds like a good buy, just be sure to check over the frame, if ridden hard the are prone to cracking in the motor mount area, stem loop area,swingarm mount area, foot peg area etc

Good Luck w/ it!!

ESR350r
01-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Hard to say, i have had pistons come apart in motors i have had and chuncks of metal will get down in and around the crank, i just flush them out and hope i got them all. the bottom end should be alright, even if you did get metal chunks or shavings down into your crank you can flush them out and be fine. i rebuilt my R motor 4 times and never had to mess with the bottom end. the only time my cases have ever been split was to install my stroker crank. if i had to guess i would say the piston locked up and that is all you have to mess with. see if the motor turns over, if it does then you should be in pretty good shape. you will just have to tear it down and go through it and see what all is wrong with it. one can never tell what all is wrong until you tear it down and see.

Lax
01-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Update: Heres a convo

I just talked to him

He said when the carbs dry the quad turns really load, any explaniation for that cause?

PS: Motor is not blown :)

Thanks

beerock
01-04-2005, 07:28 PM
my opinion is this. BUY IT, take the motor out buy a new crank, bore the cylinder buy a new piston, wrist pin bearing, rings etc. this way when you or a mechanic rebuild it they can go over the whole thing. tranny clutch etc.

figure it like this, crank is 200-230 ,crank bearings 40-60bore is about 40-100 piston 100 bux. and if it needs it new cases about 400.

so thats 890 bux labor depends on if you can do it yourself and send out the cylinder to be bored honed etc. if not figure 1200

so add the 1200 to the bike and your still at 2090 and have a new motor.

and piece of mind is priceless.

I for one would'nt stick a new top end on a bike i just purchased just because of the "what if the crank goes" if the crank goes on you 10-20 hours later that wouldnt be fun especially when you just did the top end, more then likely youll have to do the top end again if the crank goes. preventive maintenence my friend!

get some pics for us!

beerock
01-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Lax
Update: Heres a convo

I just talked to him

He said when the carbs dry the quad turns really load, any explaniation for that cause?

PS: Motor is not blown :)

Thanks

turns really load?

a new carb runs about 175 -200 (for a nice 38 pwk or 39 pwk ;)

Lax
01-04-2005, 07:32 PM
"just make sure u keep gas in it"

" well when the carb dries it goes really loud"

"and im afraid u can blow the engine"

"like it hurts my ears"

brokeitin3
01-04-2005, 07:59 PM
there are also a lot of nice used motors in the $500 - $700 range for sale

beerock
01-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Lax
"just make sure u keep gas in it"

" well when the carb dries it goes really loud"

"and im afraid u can blow the engine"

"like it hurts my ears"

sure every R gets loud when it runs out of gas, they run lean and cut off.

wilkin250r
01-04-2005, 08:33 PM
If you don't buy it, let me know. If the motor is the only major problem, I'll buy it, even if I have to pay shipping across country.

If the rest of the quad is in decent shape (i.e it may not LOOK the best, but you don't have to actually replace anything like the frame or plastics) but the motor is toast, $800 is a great deal. You can send your motor off to a shop to have it completely rebuilt for probably less than $1000 (less if you do the work yourself, or you only need a top end), and you have a running 250r. ANY 250r with a fresh motor is worth a minimum of $2500. If it's actually in GOOD shape, and looks good, it's worth $3000.

Lax
01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Good news, my son told me that my nephew rode it 2 weeks ago, and it runs perfect but has no rear plastic and bald front tires.

It is also a lt250r.

And while the owner was riding it, he passed a car and he ran out of gas and then the guy in the car *****ed him out. He put it on reserve and sped away.

ESR350r
01-06-2005, 03:09 PM
What year is the LT, if it is 87 or newer it is a power valve which is a plus. I have owned and ridden a few lt 250r's and can be mean. they are by no means as popular as a honda. The ones that i have been around have a pretty crazy power band. If you look around on ebay you can find ones that are pretty tricked out for 2500. I would recommend getting a honda. they are much more reliable and easier to get parts for.

Lax
01-06-2005, 03:13 PM
I wanted a honda 250r or banshee, but I plan on buying a full race snowmobile so my budget is under 1000 for a drive ready half way decent quad.

I do not know the year of the quad, but I do know it was clocked at 74 MPH