PDA

View Full Version : should it run with no battery???

44oEX
01-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Ok my friend has a problem with his 300ex. The battery won't charge. If we start the quad and then unhook the battery it stalls. I know a 400ex can run with no battery but can a 300ex run with no battery. I am not asking if it's good or not. We won't be running with no battery it'S just that we figured that if it can't run with no battery the charging system could be fryed.

What do you think?
thanks

YFZ450Ridr
01-04-2005, 10:06 AM
that happened to my dads warrior once and we ran it with no battery all day no problems. after we went riding we got a new battery and everything still worked jsut fine. on a honda it could be different but i wouldnt think so. it should be alright. my .02

300extasy
01-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Check your stator, I think that is the equivalent to a cars alternator. And it sounds like that's the problem. It will run on the battery until it dies. Also, take the time while your messing around with the wires to clean the terminals if they are corroded (sp?). I had a truck once that stalled on me and I went to start it and it wouldn't, turned out the battery cable was so corroded it had a bad connection.

44oEX
01-04-2005, 12:17 PM
could anyone check on there 300 just to make sure it is seposed to run with no battery? cause the ignition is diffrent then on a 400 so it might need a battery for some odd reason.

Does anyone know with wire ( out of the stator ) makes power. I mean the one that would normaly charge the battery. So I can just check if that one makes power or not. That way I will know if that it the problem or not.

thanks

BLACKeR
01-04-2005, 12:30 PM
your 300 should run without a battery, when i had one i ran it more without a battery than with one, because i used to go through them so much. have you tested the battery to see if its bad? sounds to me like its some kind of electrical problem. if it wont start at all.

44oEX
01-04-2005, 12:51 PM
the battery is like a month old and we took it back for testing and they said the battery has good. when the battery is fully charge the quad will start no problem but it won't charge so after a day or so or driving around and starting the motor the battery goes dead.

We have to figure out why it won't charge back up. it's the wirering not the battery. I will test the stator tonight and see what that does.

EPDP99
01-04-2005, 04:18 PM
definitally sounds like the stator then, it should run without it and the stator is the charging system of the bike. check wires first then try to check voltage coming from the stator. if its bad it will read low or nothing.

44oEX
01-07-2005, 09:57 AM
witch wires sould have power in them? can I just check with a test light I don't have a voltmeter? and does the quad have to be started for this to work or can we just crank it over with the starter?

Out_Sider
01-07-2005, 02:41 PM
my 300 will run all day long without a battery in it.. i've done it many times... once during a race :eek2: but hell.. the battery wouldnt start it, so i push started it and just took the battery off :huh lol

EPDP99
01-07-2005, 02:47 PM
you can check it with a test light but if its not putting out the right power you wont know if its bad. there are wires that come out near the stator. check one if no power check the other. but bike will have to be running when you check it.