PDA

View Full Version : FMF Fatty Pipe

nwi45
01-04-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm really new to the 250R world..I was wondering how good of a MX Pipe the FMF Fatty is. The bend on it is real weird so I wasn't sure what type of riding it is best suited for. Thanks.

baker250r
01-04-2005, 08:21 AM
the fmf is a good dirtbike pipe. Not as good as alot of others are for the 250r. I have a used Paul Turner midrange pipe and a LRD Silencer that I could sell ya for $75.... real cheap! they both are the cream of the crop when it comes to 250r's
I got all new system Paul Turner system and don't need the pipe anymore.

Hawk III
01-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I have had the fmf and i can say it's a true pos for the 250r. go with either the paul turner or the LRD you can't go wrong with either

wilkin250r
01-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Most people don't like FMF because they are a mass-produced generic all-around pipe. They don't have as much peak horsepower as other dedicated pipes.

You've got to understand a little about two-stroke pipes and how they work to really appreciate the FMF pipe. The exhaust pulses set up a resonant vibration inside the pipe that helps build power. Well, the problem with that is resonance is generally at one frequency, or a very small RPM range. You can get great power in one area, but lousy everywhere else. If you build a pipe for massive power in the upper RPM range, it will have lousy power in the low rpm range.

There are tricks you can do to spread the power out over a wider RPM range, but then you don't get as much peak, it's kinda spread out everywhere.

Truth is, FMF does a LOT of research on their pipes to come up with the best overall design. The Fatty comes on strong on the bottom end, has decent mid-range power, and still does fairly well in the high RPMs. That's not easy to do. Most any other pipe will have more peak horsepower, but less power everywhere else. The FMF fatty isn't designed for a certain RPM range, like most other pipes. It's meant to be a general all-around pipe, and it does it very well.

nwi45
01-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks guy, much appreciated. I'll post some pics of it, tell me what you think. I rode it at an indoor track and loved it. The suspension is unreal.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid152/p7c2047380a93532e263497dcaf7b8007/f5b15163.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid152/p3bf3cb2cc276e2ce2113a9b77b3cb9d0/f5b14aca.jpg

If any of you could, tell me what brand some of these parts are. I know most of them, but what about the nerfs, hell guards (custom?), radiator (the guys said it was a triple by-pass, but didn't know what company made it)...Thanks Again.

MyKe2g3
01-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Fmf is a decent pipe I still run one on one of my 265r's. They are good woods riding pipes. I also own a paul turner on the other R and it is a good pipe as well. The thing you need to make sure is that the kind of pipe you get matches your porting and riding style there is no best pipe for the R.

racerx573
01-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by MyKe2g3
there is no best pipe for the R.

EXACTLY! but there is a best pipe for your application. I prefer Sparks MX, it works very well with my 265 powervalve, 39mm carb, and v-force reeds.

What are your other engine components?

nwi45
01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Low End porting (dont know by who), PSI Dial-a-Dome, 38mm (does that sound right?) carb, Pyramid Reed Valve, Wiseco Superlite piston...

I'm not sure on the size of the carb, he said he thinks it was a 38.

nwi45
01-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Could someone check out the pics and if you could, tell me what brand some of these parts are. I know most of them, but what about the nerfs, hell guards (custom?), radiator (the guys said it was a triple by-pass, but didn't know what company made it)...Thanks Again.