PDA

View Full Version : polishing

400sEXridr
01-04-2005, 07:37 AM
what kind of shops can i look for in my area that can do polishing or do i need to send it out to a specialty shop?

Pvt. Maggot
01-04-2005, 02:43 PM
What are you looking to get done?..I do polishing..and have the cheapest prices on the site..let me know and i'll get you prices :)

Wayne64SS
01-04-2005, 03:19 PM
hey pvt. maybe you can help me out. I hand polished the case on my 450R with mothers and a few other items and some water got on it (my storage isnt exactly dry but now its covered at least) and now everything i polished is all pitted. Nothing else is pitted except for what i polished.... How do you go about stopping your polishing jobs from pitting after???? is there a rub on wax or something that sprays on after that protects the finish. my bike looks like chit and i would appretiate any help you could give me.
Thanks in advance

Fast350ex
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Try spraying an automotive laquer clear coat on it

400sEXridr
01-06-2005, 07:19 AM
i was asking what kind of local shops i can take my stuff to. I dont want to ship stuff out if i dont have to

Rootar
01-06-2005, 09:59 AM
send your stuff to Pvt. Maggot

you gotta see some of the stuff he has done for others they look like mirrors one day im gonna send my cases to him for polishing

TheFontMaster
01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Wayne64SS
hey pvt. maybe you can help me out. I hand polished the case on my 450R with mothers and a few other items and some water got on it (my storage isnt exactly dry but now its covered at least) and now everything i polished is all pitted. Nothing else is pitted except for what i polished.... How do you go about stopping your polishing jobs from pitting after???? is there a rub on wax or something that sprays on after that protects the finish. my bike looks like chit and i would appretiate any help you could give me.
Thanks in advance

I was wondering if anyone knew what caused this, cause I'm polishing some parts for my 250r, and I don't want them to get pitted like that. Is this just a rare occurance, and do I need to clear the parts?

Fast350ex
01-06-2005, 04:40 PM
You don't have to clear coat the parts, but I would just to be safe, looks more professional. Be careful not to make the clear coat drip- don't spray to close unless you want it to look like $hit,(6in.) is close enough. Make shure you don't use Krylon clear coat, it's crap. Use rust-oleum enamel clear coat. Don't get to anxtious, don't try to spray the whole can on it with one coat, it takes time.

sampleez
01-06-2005, 06:03 PM
you also have to make sure you clean the part very well b4 u clear it, or it can have fisheyes in it.

Pvt. Maggot
01-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Your part has pits?...did you sand from 600-1500 grit sandpaper?..if not..thats what the pits are..theres alot of work with it...stripping...sanding for hours and hours..hours of buffing...I never clearcoated...I think it would dull the part alot...But thats me...:)

TheFontMaster
01-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
Your part has pits?...did you sand from 600-1500 grit sandpaper?..if not..thats what the pits are..theres alot of work with it...stripping...sanding for hours and hours..hours of buffing...I never clearcoated...I think it would dull the part alot...But thats me...:)

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for.

Fast 350ex, 6 inches might even be too close, but it depends on how fast u move the spray bottle, or spray gun, 8-10 inches is what I was taught to use, but that was with a spray gun. To add to that if you are going to clear parts auto motive clear is always better. And use smooth even strokes to aply the clear. And don't be surprised if you need 3 or 4 coats, or posibly more.

TheFontMaster
01-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Pvt. maggot I got another question,
I want to pick up all the necacary stuff to polish parts, and posibly turn it into a small local buisness out of my garage or something like you got going. What is better a hand held buffer, or one that mounts to something, should I sand blast parts to make shure all the paint is off, etc, you get the idea.

Thanks, Andrew