Pappy
01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
all done, will be shipping tomarrow:)

Shawn H
01-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Hmmm nice!!!

Ralph
01-03-2005, 06:38 PM
yfz piston i think, keep us posted on what the coating does for the piston and how it affects it.

fastkid400
01-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Its pretty frikin cool when u can make a piston look awesome lol

LS@GtThunder
01-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Looks good.

popo
01-06-2005, 06:01 AM
That textured flat black powdercoat looks nice.

Um gonna need some heavy diesel oil for the piston sleeve

Pappy
01-15-2005, 12:24 AM
got the 2 other pistons. i did them with the ceramic coating on the crown down to the 1st ring relief. the skirt is molycoated. learned alot on these 2...thanks a ton for sending them over Laz:)

Dave400ex
01-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Pappy I was wondering, is this molycoating just black, or are there any other colors you can use?

Pappy
01-16-2005, 09:24 AM
it is available in a several colors. flat black and straight moly are the 2 i prefer, but i have been using other colors on small parts to trick out custom handguns.

Pappy
01-16-2005, 09:29 AM
this is a piston (well used piston) done with the ceramic coating and the flat black moly.

Pappy
01-16-2005, 09:32 AM
on this rear shock, we used the black moly on the lower retainers and the bottom spacer. powdercoat would not be a good choice for these parts, but the moly will protect them from corrosion.

Dave400ex
01-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Is the straight moly basically clear, or is it the ceramic? These coatings look very nice. Could something like this be put on a 400ex cylinder, or any coating for that matter?

Pappy
01-16-2005, 09:41 AM
straight moly is a greyish to light green color.

there are processes that are done on cylinders etc but i dont believe moly is one of them.

soon i hope do be doing a head using ceranic in the exhaust ports and combustion chamber area. moly will be used in the head but in the top only, along with moly'd valve springs and smal parts with ceramic and moly'd valves.

Dave400ex
01-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Hmm I'm trying to figure out something to do with my cylinder. It has turned a yellowish color and looks horrible.

The head sounds very interesting. I had read all of the information on HPC's site over a year ago and always thought the coatings would be good for Quads, now everybody is doing them.

beak7707
01-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Pappy, what does this do for the piston? Does it make them handle the heat alot better, will they last longer? Looks great just wondering what the benifits are.

Pappy
01-16-2005, 09:56 AM
moly will help with lubrication as it is oil retaining, ptfe moly is oil shedding i believe and could be used on the underside of the piston. the process of curing the moly will actually raise the hardness of the part depending on how long you choose to cure it.

the ceramic coating on the top of the piston aids in heat dispertion and will help with detonation and carbon build up.

alot of piston manufactures include these processes on the pistons so your covered from the start. i didnt intend to do alot of pistons, i mainly wanted to protect other areas of our atv's. pivot bolts, spacers etc.

Pappy
01-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Hmm I'm trying to figure out something to do with my cylinder. It has turned a yellowish color and looks horrible.

the outside of the cylinder can be moly'd if thats what your refering too

Dave400ex
01-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Yeah like the fins of the cylinder are yellow. The outside is what I meant. What would something like that cost as well as the head setup you said and piston? I'll post a picture and you can kind of see the cylinder. The motor looks horrible period. I need to have you powdercoat the sidecases as well.

Pappy
01-16-2005, 10:27 AM
id imagine atleast $80 for prep and coating it. i wouldnt add any labor except for stripping the cylinder because ive never done one so i wouldnt have an idea:p

have you tried cleaning it with simple green and a sturdy brush?

as far as the head, same deal, i can only geuss and say roughly $75 to $100. the labor doesnt bother me, but the coatings are a bit pricey.

Chef
01-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Pappy, do you have any powder that looks like the Gold that is on the Honda magnesium parts. Like on my CRF the stator cover and clutch cover...?

Pappy
01-16-2005, 11:16 AM
they do have gold, however its gold gold not the off color the crf parts are from honda. i dont think it would look good.

Dave400ex
01-16-2005, 12:57 PM
I have tried simple green, and other degreaser products with no results, it's pretty much stained and burnt on I believe.

$80 doesn't sound bad at all for the cylinder. Would the sleeve have to be removed? What colors would be possible to have it done in? I really like the ceramic/shiny looking color. I guess I would be looking around $300 or so to have the cylinder, head, all the stuff in the head, piston coated, and cases powdercoated right? Doesn't seem to bad, but if I take it apart again I want to have Laz do a port/polish/valve job, and then all new gaskets. Dang that would be a good $500. What would it be to just have the outside of the head coated to match the cylinder, piston coated, and then the valves/valve springs, or is that still close to the $75 to $100? Sorry for all the questions...

Pappy
01-16-2005, 01:31 PM
as long as the supplies are covered im ok, and return shipping. ive never done alot of these so i cant honestly quote a price. talk with Laz, if he recommends something be done he can either do it, or have it done. ill help you in any way i can.

popo
01-19-2005, 03:24 PM
I have tried simple green, and other degreaser products with no results, it's pretty much stained and burnt on I believe.

Sorry to bust into your thread. Get some Kerosene. Works like magic cleaning stained parts.

Dave400ex
01-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Popo will that fade or mess up the powdercoat or anything around the motor if I got some on it?

popo
01-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Popo will that fade or mess up the powdercoat or anything around the motor if I got some on it?

Don't know try it and let us know :D

You should be fine, just don't oversoak it