PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my $500

trout
01-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I got 500$ to blow. Want to get some more ponies out of my 450R.

Im thinking of a slip-on and a cam.

Sparks has a drop in cam for 219$ and HMF has a slip on for 220$ so is this the best set-up in YOUR opinion? Gabe.....little help?

I ride strickly for FUN. I ride dunes and MX tracks and Trails in the mountains of Colorado. Dont care about Top end that much, never go flat out full speed anyways.......too old for that.

With a sparks cam and a slip-on will I FEEL a power difference?

one more, went to the twobrothers.com web site and they show a power gain form their pipe of only 2 H.P. is taht true? other claim 4-6, is that true?

Thank you Thank you Thank you
and happy new year

Trout

quadrcr161
01-03-2005, 01:15 PM
save your money from a sparks cam, its the same as a 93 crf450 cam, i think.

Bad Habit
01-03-2005, 01:16 PM
one more, went to the twobrothers.com web site and they show a power gain form their pipe of only 2 H.P. is taht true? other claim 4-6, is that true?
I would believe 2hp for a slip-on, when also jetted. The 4-6 is a little inflated. The HMF is a decent skip-on, as are Dr.D and a couple others.

I would go with the HRC cam. A proper slip-on will give you back some of the low-end that the HRC will take away. Another lower cost alternative would be the HotCams Stage 2. It is not quite as aggressive as the HRC, but it will beat the Sparks(CRF) cam everywhere at every rpm.

kgbg
01-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Is your 450R bone stock?
If so, I would invest in pipe (many avail, most do the same thing, find a good deal, or one you like, Pro Circuit is a good one) and a Stage 2 Hot Cam.
If your not afraid of race gas, look into a stock bore 13:1 JE from C&D racing, the site sponsor. They are great guys and have great prices.
This would work very well with a HC stage 2.
Unless things have changed the Sparks cam is VERY similar to a CRF cam, that you can get for substantially less.

trout
01-03-2005, 01:29 PM
so im gathering that the sparks cam is not as good as its touted?

what cam are racers running for MX. Is the hotcams the way to go? I guess what im saying is forget price..........whats the best cam for power all over the power curve?

thanks

trout
01-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Quad is completely stock.

kgbg
01-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Sparks cam is a great cam, but a member bought one, and he told them he had a 02 CRF cam, and wanted something better, they sold him a a"Agressive" cam, this was a few months ago. The "Agressive" cam was measured with a cam doctor, by a very responsible and respected engine guy, and it was IDENTICAL to the 02 CRF cam, he already had ($150).
I have heard the Sparks has changed the cams as of now, but they are so gaurded with their specs, I would not buy a cam from them anyway. They will not tell you the specs. How can a informed builder know about the power without specs? You cannot, you have to just trust them, not for me.
You can buy a $100 Comp Cams SBC cam, and they will tell you all the specs. you even get a cam card (try getting that from Sparks)
Go with a Dr. D and a HC stage 2 or a HRC.

trout
01-03-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks, ill look at the stage 2 Hotcam. any other opinions?

thanks
Trout

450rRIPPER
01-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Get the HRC kit and a good slip-on. Or just send me your money, and I'll spend it on my R. :devil:

mikes450r
01-03-2005, 02:50 PM
you have a pm trout

Thump_It
01-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah I'd go with the Hot Cams stage 2 and a Dr. D slip on. Good luck with your choice.

trout
01-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It
Yeah I'd go with the Hot Cams stage 2 and a Dr. D slip on. Good luck with your choice.

I think im leaning this way, with two different people thinking its a quality set-up.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Any one had their stock shocks revalved and fitted with tripple rate springs from Works or C&D, and were you happy with them?

86atc250r
01-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Hotcams 2 or HRC --- HRC being more aggressive. The HRC has proven to be one of the best all around 450R cams out there, especially when run with a slip-on or full exhaust.

As others have said, the Sparks cam is nothing more than an 02 CRF, which doesn't seem to be an exceptional performer in our engine - save your money.

Any of the open core slip ons will do - there will be very small performance differences between them.

Those are the first two orders of business for this engine.

After that look at a piston and/or a CRF carb --- the carb will not add any straight line drag performance, but it will increase the "fun to ride" factor substantially.

As far as shocks go - talk to Laz at GT Thunder, he has some of best budget setups out there --- in a lot of cases, his OEM rebuilds will outperform an aftermarket shock setup, especially on the rear.

trout
01-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Hotcams 2 or HRC --- HRC being more aggressive. The HRC has proven to be one of the best all around 450R cams out there, especially when run with a slip-on or full exhaust.

As others have said, the Sparks cam is nothing more than an 02 CRF, which doesn't seem to be an exceptional performer in our engine - save your money.

Any of the open core slip ons will do - there will be very small performance differences between them.

Those are the first two orders of business for this engine.

After that look at a piston and/or a CRF carb --- the carb will not add any straight line drag performance, but it will increase the "fun to ride" factor substantially.

As far as shocks go - talk to Laz at GT Thunder, he has some of best budget setups out there --- in a lot of cases, his OEM rebuilds will outperform an aftermarket shock setup, especially on the rear.

Thanks for your time Sir.

trout

Jersey450R
01-05-2005, 07:35 AM
With 500 bucks and a stock 450, I would say a HMF slip-on, Handlebars, nerfbars, and a filter.

240+65+ 150+65= 520.

Put an extra 20 bucks and get that to start. :D

Punk'd
01-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Pipe:D