PDA

View Full Version : cylinder spacer plate

baker250r
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
i have a long rod engine... 88 it is correct that if you run a 86 style piston in my engine and have a spacer plate, that you have more power? I am sending my engine to a guy for cylinder work, and he told me that, im wondering if that is correct.

wilkin250r
01-03-2005, 12:50 PM
First off, if you have a long-rod engine, you MUST use a spacer plate with the 86-style piston. You cannot run a long rod and 86 piston without a spacer plate.

I'm not sure about "more" power, but it does give you more crank-case volume, which will give you a smoother power transition. This will generally help reduce wheelspin, giving you effectively better traction and reduced laptimes. It will also make the machine less tiring to ride for extended periods.

racerx573
01-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
First off, if you have a long-rod engine, you MUST use a spacer plate with the 86-style piston. You cannot run a long rod and 86 piston without a spacer plate.

I'm not sure about "more" power, but it does give you more crank-case volume, which will give you a smoother power transition. This will generally help reduce wheelspin, giving you effectively better traction and reduced laptimes. It will also make the machine less tiring to ride for extended periods.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

beak7707
01-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Agree completely, everything wilkin250r said is true. You MUST run it, its not an option for more power. If you do decide to run this setup dont expect it to be an animal or anything, it just does what has been stated. And it is a very good setup many pros ran it for years.