PDA

View Full Version : Bearings for swingarm

fuddrucker
01-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Hello all,

I am pretty sure I need to replace the axle bearings in my swingarm. If I pickup the quad, the rear axle wobbles up and down a lot in the swingarm. Anyway, I was going to just replace the whole bearing assembly because it is pretty thrashed and I was wonding if anyone knew if the assembly that I am going to order from Service Honda, part number 14, (tried to attach pic, but no work) comes with the bearings already installed? If so, it looks like I would just be able to remove the axle, slide the assembly out, slide the new one in, replace the axle, and I am good to go. Is it really that simple? Other than removing some other stuff, and greasing things up as well of course.

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx300ex_93_02/trx300ex%20frames%20page.htm

Thanks!

Pappy
01-03-2005, 11:46 AM
replacing the bearing carrier isnt all that hard, its getting the axle jam nut loose that seems to cause most people problems.

id highly suggest trying an aftermarket twin row bearing carrier over getting another stock carrier

fuddrucker
01-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks Pappy.

So if I go with aftermarket, the bearings will already be in place as well? I don't mind at all going with an aftermarket brand over stock, I just don't have the tools, or the skillz to get the old bearings out, or the new ones in.

Thanks again!

busch light
01-03-2005, 12:42 PM
well here is all the tools and skills you need
1. order new bearings for stock carrier, when you recieve them put them in the freezer.

2. remove axle and carrier

3. preheat oven to 425 remove rubber o rings and dust sheilds from stock carrier and place in the oven for 20 minutes or so

4. remove carrier from oven........(caution it will be hot, use an oven mitt) take outside and tap it on block of wood or concrete, something hard til bearing falls out, then flip and repeat, just make sure to bang it hard enought to get the metal peice that holds the bearings together to come out

5 take new bearings out of freezer and gently tap them in to the carrier, let cool and add o rings and dust shields, and put back in swing arm

6. put the axle back in and adjust chain and have a beer and a test ride.

hope this helps its a real simple job just take your time and it will be fine

fuddrucker
01-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Sounds good.

Thanks!!

busch light
01-03-2005, 03:10 PM
no problem, even if ya do get an aftermarket dual row carrier, you can keep you stock as a spare, I keep mine in the toolbox just in case,