PDA

View Full Version : lets get some input peeps!!!

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 12:07 AM
What do ya'll reccomend for a MX set up for my EX??? :D
I cant afford Axis or Roll design :( but ill entertain anything else... Do I go +3 or +2?? Hows the dual rates with Rezzies?? Do they come in a ZPS??? I got a Bday coming so I need to drop a few suttle hints.....lol......Tell me oh wise ones......... :p

K_Fulk
01-03-2005, 08:36 AM
If you dont go riding through trees very often I would go with the +3's.

As for shocks you could find some works and have them and your rear revalved by c&d, gt thunder, or derisi. That would probly be the cheapest way to get shocks that are setup for you.

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
If you dont go riding through trees very often I would go with the +3's.

As for shocks you could find some works and have them and your rear revalved by c&d, gt thunder, or derisi. That would probly be the cheapest way to get shocks that are setup for you. thanks for your advice... I have Works now and granted they are MUCH better than stock, I dont want another set ;) I will ride mostly tracks both MX and FT and Sand riding in the summer.... I thought about sending mine off to Derisi, but decided to get a new set. I was strongly thinking about a set of Elkas . Do I have to go with long travel with a +3 or do I go stock length? I would also like a ZPS.

K_Fulk
01-03-2005, 10:09 AM
You dont need longtravel with +3's.

If you get your works revalved by any of them people they should be just as good as elkas. youy could probly even have an elka rebuild done to them. Might not look as pretty but they will work way better than they do now. Same for your rear.

Zps isnt necessary either. But it would help for mx. You would need some preload for flat track if its an actual zps shock you would have to get your wheels off the ground to get you shock to extend back out. I dont know how elkas scs works but it should be pretty similar.

I'm no shock expert though. I would call someone who is.

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
You dont need longtravel with +3's.

If you get your works revalved by any of them people they should be just as good as elkas. youy could probly even have an elka rebuild done to them. Might not look as pretty but they will work way better than they do now. Same for your rear.

Zps isnt necessary either. But it would help for mx. You would need some preload for flat track if its an actual zps shock you would have to get your wheels off the ground to get you shock to extend back out. I dont know how elkas scs works but it should be pretty similar.

I'm no shock expert though. I would call someone who is. thanks again... Anyone else with alot of knowledge on shocks?? Im not too smart on this stuff....... :ermm:

400exr
01-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I would deffinatly go with some Elkas. the shocks are top notch and the coustomer service is some of the best out there!! and if your racing MX then go for the ZPS!!! I would also go with +2 a-arms they allow really good handling on the MX track, and arn't too wide if you ever go trail rideding.

JDiablo
01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
i think QJ said she didnt want to buy new shocks,i will say some +2 1/2 custom made from burgard,and get a new revavle kit on your works,im saying the derisi pro millieunum(sp?) kit,i heard that it is hard to beat for the price,prolly have a setup better then elkas if you go with that :devil:

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 400exr
I would deffinatly go with some Elkas. the shocks are top notch and the coustomer service is some of the best out there!! and if your racing MX then go for the ZPS!!! I would also go with +2 a-arms they allow really good handling on the MX track, and arn't too wide if you ever go trail rideding. I dont do any trail riding actually. NO TIME TO DO IT!! :p lol... I have an 2/4 offset right now (I hate offset rims!:grr: ) and it still feels too narrow to me,but I havent got a wider axle yet either. on corners it likes to bicycle alot....:o I think Ill call Ekla today, sheesh.. my ole man got rider support from Elka , but its me who is shopping for shocks right now ... Go figure....... :rolleyes: lol
So whats a good pkg they sell....???? Im also looking for some aarms...

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
i think QJ said she didnt want to buy new shocks,i will say some +2 1/2 custom made from burgard,and get a new revavle kit on your works,im saying the derisi pro millieunum(sp?) kit,i heard that it is hard to beat for the price,prolly have a setup better then elkas if you go with that :devil: no, I can go with new shocks, Im just trying to make sure and not go overboard since we all race ;) I REALLY dont want these works shocks anymore....

JDiablo
01-03-2005, 01:46 PM
in that case then,i would say get yourself some LT burgard arms +3 and elka triple rates :D

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 01:48 PM
anyone know how much Derisi set up is?I thought about sending them off to him initally.. My works are looking pretty Ghetto these days.... :o

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
in that case then,i would say get yourself some LT burgard arms +3 and elka triple rates :D hahaha... How about the dual rate?? I dont think I would need a triple rate really.. whatever I get , I def. want ZPS!:blah:

JDiablo
01-03-2005, 01:49 PM
if i remember correctly i think it was either 450-550 for the best kit you can get,im not certain though

JDiablo
01-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
hahaha... How about the dual rate?? I dont think I would need a triple rate really.. whatever I get , I def. want ZPS!:blah:

o yes you do want ZPS:devil:
Dual rate or triple rate still works fine:D although i would go with triple rate,that way you will have another smaller spring to compress from the bumps instead of the one big one and just the small SSD spring that is always compressed,so if you want a lil less bumpy ride ill hit up them trips:devil:

wilkin250r
01-03-2005, 02:09 PM
You most definitly want ZPS if you're racing both FT and MX, but you already knew that. It's the best of both worlds, you get all the supension travel and benifits of an MX shock, and the low ride height and low center of gravity needed for FT.

If you're not worried about trail riding, then +3 is probably your best bet. It will give you the most suspension travel and the most stability. But it will also make it a little less nimble, and more likely to get tangled up in that first turn. You don't necessarily need to go Long Travel with the +3, you can go standard travel, but if you're buying your arms and shocks together as a package deal, it might not be that much price difference to go with LT.

The benifits of LT would probably suit you very well. You get much more precise control over the valving, and it can be set for a wider range of weight/ability/rider conditions. For example, as much as your Predator is in the shop, you could set up your LT shocks for a wider weight range than a regular travel setup, and allow Troy to race the EX when he needs to.

What are you running right now? Do you have extended A-arms already? What about your axle?

Hillshooter
01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm running +3 arms from HSD racing and I dont have any problems with them. They're quite a bit cheaper than Roll Design or Gibson. I also have works tripple rates with rezzies that I just sent ot DeRisi. The Millenium revalve kit will cost me around $250 and they're also going to replace the biggest spring on each shock which will cost another $40 for each shock. I'm told they will be amazing when I get them back which should be in about 2 weeks

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You most definitly want ZPS if you're racing both FT and MX, but you already knew that. It's the best of both worlds, you get all the supension travel and benifits of an MX shock, and the low ride height and low center of gravity needed for FT.

If you're not worried about trail riding, then +3 is probably your best bet. It will give you the most suspension travel and the most stability. But it will also make it a little less nimble, and more likely to get tangled up in that first turn. You don't necessarily need to go Long Travel with the +3, you can go standard travel, but if you're buying your arms and shocks together as a package deal, it might not be that much price difference to go with LT.

The benifits of LT would probably suit you very well. You get much more precise control over the valving, and it can be set for a wider range of weight/ability/rider conditions. For example, as much as your Predator is in the shop, you could set up your LT shocks for a wider weight range than a regular travel setup, and allow Troy to race the EX when he needs to.

What are you running right now? Do you have extended A-arms already? What about your axle?

thanks for the info... :)
I am currently running stock Axle and Aarms and running a 2-4 offset rim:ermm: Ill get an Axle as well, I know alot of peeps dont care for the Durablue, but I have rider support from them and so far we have had no issues with there products so far and will prol. buy another Axle(My daughter has ther axle on her mini)

hahaha(comment about the preddy:o 0 we were actually talking about him being able to race with mine as well

QuadJunkies
01-03-2005, 11:58 PM
well... Troy called and talked to Elka and with rider support I got a GREAT deal!! Looks like Ill be getting the ZP triple rate front and rear, along with a TT and MX spring for both syles of racing :D Im also going with a Burgards +3(chrome) Aarm. Ill be buying them separatly rather than a pkg deal since I have to deal with them separatly. It will be ordered tomrrow!!:blah: I cant tell you how excited I am to FINALLY ride with some ease, Troy just noticed last night that my shocks are toast,they leak oil and have nothing left to them but the spring,that explains why my quality of riding was really wearing me down.I was actually getting to the point where I didnt even want to ride my quad latelycause the ride is so harsh..:(

JOEX
01-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
well... Troy called and talked to Elka and with rider support I got a GREAT deal!! Looks like Ill be getting the ZP triple rate front and rear, along with a TT and MX spring for both syles of racing :D Im also going with a Burgards +3(chrome) Aarm. Ill be buying them separatly rather than a pkg deal since I have to deal with them separatly. It will be ordered tomrrow!!:blah: I cant tell you how excited I am to FINALLY ride with some ease, Troy just noticed last night that my shocks are toast,they leak oil and have nothing left to them but the spring,that explains why my quality of riding was really wearing me down.I was actually getting to the point where I didnt even want to ride my quad latelycause the ride is so harsh..:(
Sounds like you'll have a really nice ride soon;) :)

wilkin250r
01-04-2005, 10:16 AM
What's the price difference between standard travel and long travel?

QuadJunkies
01-04-2005, 10:39 AM
What's the price difference between standard travel and long travel? ill find out later today ;)
I guess I should find out how much difference the AArms would be in price too from Burgards....

wilkin250r
01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
You pretty much know what you want to do, obviously, but I'll give my advice anyways. When you get Elka on the phone, along with the standard questions, I would ask them specifically about setting up for both you and Troy, maybe standard travel with an extra set of springs to swap out between the two riders, or if Long Travel and be set up for a decent compromise for the both of you without swapping springs.

QuadJunkies
01-04-2005, 10:55 AM
You pretty much know what you want to do, obviously, but I'll give my advice anyways. When you get Elka on the phone, along with the standard questions, I would ask them specifically about setting up for both you and Troy, maybe standard travel with an extra set of springs to swap out between the two riders, or if Long Travel and be set up for a decent compromise for the both of you without swapping springs. Ill ask Troy if he already knows that, but Im pretty sure he did. He told him that he uses my quad as a back up quad for racingand that I use it most of the other time for my races( I was at work when he spoke with them at Elka) Troy is by far a much more aggressive rider than I so ill check into that .. I know that when he buys the shocks for his ride hes getting the Quadruple rates... :eek2:

QuadJunkies
01-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Ok. Were sticking with the Standard length shocks,if I go with that it will run me too much to upgrade the shocks AND Aarms, so...... My next question is, Since its a +3 is that 3 inches on each side?? Or is that 1.5 on each side?? Im asumming its +3 on each, but some companies look at that differently... So with a +3,what do I get for an Axle??? a +4??? Troy wanted to see about the Dominator for it,but we couldnt could find it on there website?? And the only other one that looked of interest says you cant jump with it?? And it was the heavy duty one?? I dont get that......... :confused:

wilkin250r
01-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Yes, +3 inches means +3 on each side, so a total of 6 inches wider.

Durablue does not make the Dominator. The Dominator is made by RPM http://www.team-rpm.com

Durablue makes the Eliminator, or for added strength, the Eliminator X-33.

QuadJunkies
01-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Yes, +3 inches means +3 on each side, so a total of 6 inches wider.

Durablue does not make the Dominator. The Dominator is made by RPM http://www.team-rpm.com

Durablue makes the Eliminator, or for added strength, the Eliminator X-33.
Yeah, I ended up figureing that out after all day asking myself that over and over and finally in come to mind...... :o

so a +4 Axle is what is best application correct???