PDA

View Full Version : Ready ta Race

Rico
01-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Winter rebuild is done and she's ready ta go.

Rico
01-02-2005, 08:51 PM
:scary:

Rico
01-02-2005, 08:52 PM
:ermm:

Rico
01-02-2005, 08:53 PM
:huh

Rico
01-02-2005, 08:54 PM
:eek:

Rico
01-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Hope I can hold onto it after the motor rebuild.....:eek2:

user101
01-02-2005, 09:09 PM
the ol' 416 is lookin good Rico.

K_Fulk
01-02-2005, 09:15 PM
It deffinatley looks like a xc quad now. :macho

sampleez
01-02-2005, 09:34 PM
nice. i hope i can hurry and get my pc gun and stuff so i can do a little on my bike.

nosliw
01-02-2005, 10:10 PM
what kind of gas tank is that and where'd you buy it?

YFZ450Ridr
01-02-2005, 11:11 PM
that thing is sweet, deffently the best lookin ex ive ever seen. ive never seen those kind of side panels on a 400 before, looks good.

torqen2k1
01-03-2005, 08:59 AM
L:eek2:Kin good. But I have one question, were is your battery? Your air box looks stock, is it? Because i have a aftermarket air box that has been powder coated black to match my frame and nobody ever notices it. Ill try to post pics of my air box because awile ago I think you asked for some pics of other peoples setups.

sharkinthepool
01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey Rico that is pretty sweet. But where did you get those clear side panels at? Those are pretty cool.

flyingbyfast400
01-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Sick looking 400 there Rico... I got the same question for you everyone is asking, what kind of tank is that, and where can we get one? Keep up the good work

Rico
01-03-2005, 10:46 AM
It's a Clarke oversized tank. 5.3 gallons I think is what it holds. Which is twice as much as a stock tank. Retail is around $200 for them. They also have quick fill caps but thats like another $150 i think....:eek2:

XANDADA
01-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Wooow! It definately looks much faster than it really is,,,, :ermm: :chinese: :huh

400exdad
01-03-2005, 11:21 AM
On your PowerMadd guards... do the mounts that go to the end of the bars come with the kit or are they extra. Seems like I've seen them both ways in pics.. with and without the mounts.

Nice Looking 400EX. Looks like you could use some sponsors though! :D

Rico
01-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by torqen2k1
L:eek2:Kin good. But I have one question, were is your battery? Your air box looks stock, is it? Because i have a aftermarket air box that has been powder coated black to match my frame and nobody ever notices it. Ill try to post pics of my air box because awile ago I think you asked for some pics of other peoples setups.

My airbox is stock....:cool: Not much else on the quad is though...:ermm:

Rico
01-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 400exdad
On your PowerMadd guards... do the mounts that go to the end of the bars come with the kit or are they extra. Seems like I've seen them both ways in pics.. with and without the mounts.

Nice Looking 400EX. Looks like you could use some sponsors though! :D

I believe you have to pay extra for the end inserts.. :(

And yes I have to represent all the fine companies that wish to sponsor me....:D

Rico
01-03-2005, 01:06 PM
:devious:

I took it out today for the first time since it's been back together and had plenty of riding around room. The new HRC Cam is sweet and it rides like a big ole 70's model stinkin Lincoln car....:blah:

3rdtime
01-03-2005, 01:08 PM
looks good, but man your swingarm looks like its bent to the left.. your sprockets wear funny? chains looks off too. hope not.

250EXking
01-03-2005, 02:47 PM
looks good rico. where can i get those head light covers like that. ive looked everywhere. where do you get em. thanks

Tommy 17
01-03-2005, 03:31 PM
looks good rico... i can't wait to roost it this year sometime

who made the number plate????:confused:

Chino
01-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
looks good rico... i can't wait to roost it this year sometime

who made the number plate????:confused:

I belive prographx did but he can correct me if i'm wrong

http://www.mxprographx.com/

QuAdEr 317
01-03-2005, 04:02 PM
thats a sick xc quad.....u gotta mod list?

AtvMxRider
01-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I believe you have to pay extra for the end inserts.. :(

And yes I have to represent all the fine companies that wish to sponsor me....:D

I never got my ******** stickers Rico:ermm:

Rico
01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 3rdtime
looks good, but man your swingarm looks like its bent to the left.. your sprockets wear funny? chains looks off too. hope not.

The subframe is tweaked so it throws the fenders a little cock eyed... The rest of the rear end is straight, Promise...:cool:

Jerrry resend me your address...:scary:

250EXking... It's a thin piece of plexan that's spray painted on the inside and sticker on the outside.. Real easy to make.

Rico
01-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by QuAdEr 317
thats a sick xc quad.....u gotta mod list?

:eek2:

Chassis Upgrades

All Powdercoating by Pappy's Performance Coatings
Frame gussetted and powdercoated by The Quadshop
Elka Triple Rate Front Shocks w/Compression & Preload Adjustment
Elka Triple Rate Long Travel Rear Shock w/Compression, Rebound & Preload Adjustment, and LT Linkage
Houser Racing A-arms +1in. wide and 1/2in. forward
Houser Racing Swingarm stock length
Houser Racing +1in. +1in. forward Anti-vibe stem
FMF 909 bars
Spider Grips
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Muscle Steering Dampner
TrailTech Speedo
Burgard Axle Carrier
Neoprene Custom Shock Covers
Pro Design Kill Switch and Billet Shifter
Speed Racing Axle nut & E-brake Block off
LoneStar Axcaliber Axle
AC Racing Nerfs with Rath Racing Peg Extenders
Pro Armor Front Bumper
PRM Belly Skid and Swingarm Skid
Talon Sprockets
D.I.D O-Ring Chain
Thump Racing Case Saver
Misc. Billet and Chrome Parts
Maier 250R Smoothie Hood
Nacs Handlebar Clamp
Acerbis Rally Brush Guards w/Spoilers
RTC Brake and Clutch Levers

Motor

Bored .080 over to 416cc
HRC cam
JE Piston 10.8:1 Compression
Hinson Clutch Basket
Cometic Gaskets
Sparks Racing 8 Plate Clutch w/Heavy Springs
Sparks Heavy Duty Cam Chain
Sparks Racing Modified Carb
Lightened Flywheel
GT Thunder Porting
GT Thunder CDI
GT Thunder Air Box Intake Tube
FMF Powerbong Header
Red HMF Silencer with quiet core
K&N Filter w/Outerwear
Dynojets
Motor oil - Mobil 1 15W-50 Synthetic

Tires and Rims

Burgard Beadlocks w/Chrome Ring
10X7
9X9

AtvMxRider
01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Looks good Rico:)

400exdad
01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
How does the HRC cam compare to the XR400? Weren't you running the XR before this build?

QuAdEr 317
01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
mind if i ask how much the motor came to total???

Rico
01-03-2005, 07:42 PM
How does the HRC cam compare to the XR400? Weren't you running the XR before this build?

You are correct Daddio.

Well I"ll be putting in some real input on it soon. Right now I can't because my ride today was in the rain in wet grass and it was like riding on ice. I was slippin and slidden all over the dam place and had no traction. But, I was actually coming up a hill that was extremely slick, pulling the front wheels off the ground goin thru the gears...:eek2: and before it was tuff to do when it was dry, but it was rather easy in the slick grass.

So at this point I can't give a good XR vs. HRC review yet until i get on some dam dry ground...:mad:

Rico
01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by QuAdEr 317
mind if i ask how much the motor came to total???

Bored .080 over to 416cc
HRC cam
JE Piston 10.8:1 Compression
Hinson Clutch Basket
Cometic Gaskets
Sparks Racing 8 Plate Clutch w/Heavy Springs
Sparks Heavy Duty Cam Chain
Sparks Racing Modified Carb
Lightened Flywheel
GT Thunder Porting
GT Thunder CDI
GT Thunder Air Box Intake Tube
FMF Powerbong Header
Red HMF Silencer with quiet core
K&N Filter w/Outerwear
Dynojets

It was around $1,500 for all the above and that's with great prices on some of the products.

Pappy
01-03-2005, 07:49 PM
cody wanted to know if you would be re installing the tassles for the handy bars:devil:

Rico
01-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
cody wanted to know if you would be re installing the tassles for the handy bars:devil:

They're on back order.....:mad:

Pappy
01-03-2005, 07:59 PM
lol back order..gotcha:devil:

bring that pos up here so the boy can get you in shape for racin season:macho

400exdad
01-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info and I look forward seeing the review. I love the XR, but I'm sure that I'll be bumping it up after I get my suspension right.

BTW, I think Pappy was trying to say this: :D

Rico
01-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Man If I had feelings I think you guys woulda hurt em with all these mean comments....:(

sharkinthepool
01-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by sharkinthepool
Hey Rico that is pretty sweet. But where did you get those clear side panels at? Those are pretty cool.

Hey rico I am still wondering where you found the clear side panels at?

Rico
01-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by sharkinthepool
Hey rico I am still wondering where you found the clear side panels at?

THose aren't clear panels, thats the gas tank your lookin at.....:eek2: You do away with the side panels when you go to a clarke large Cap. tank...:cool:

Dave400ex
01-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Rico can you get some pictures of how you mounted the cover where the headlights go? Also how did you know how big to make it?

hessianmx111
01-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Bike is looking killer Rico, love the tank. Do you plan on hitting any of the Blackrock Motocross races this spring? I'll be there for most of them unless something happens like it did this past spring and i break my ankle/foot after the first race. I dunno when the last time you went to eastview was but it's a whole new track now, speaking of eastview that would be the track that i broke my foot/ankle on, cased the 50 ft stepdown after i had done it like 20 times the weekend before. I'm also interested in maybe trying some xc type racing, are there any races or websites where i can see race schedules for races that are taking place around kentucky/indiana. Well sorry to rambe on, the ex is looking great.

QuadJunkies
01-05-2005, 12:03 AM
thats one Sexy Babe you got there Rico....... :bandit:

Rico
01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
Bike is looking killer Rico, love the tank. Do you plan on hitting any of the Blackrock Motocross races this spring? I'll be there for most of them unless something happens like it did this past spring and i break my ankle/foot after the first race. I dunno when the last time you went to eastview was but it's a whole new track now, speaking of eastview that would be the track that i broke my foot/ankle on, cased the 50 ft stepdown after i had done it like 20 times the weekend before. I'm also interested in maybe trying some xc type racing, are there any races or websites where i can see race schedules for races that are taking place around kentucky/indiana. Well sorry to rambe on, the ex is looking great.

Haven't been to eastview in 2 years I guess. same for blackrock. I might try to hit blackrock a few times if possible, I'll be running XC tires adn stuff but I"m sure I could still spank some arse...

www.msws.org has harescrambles all year around.

meangreen400ex
01-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Hey rico tell me about that fmf header and hmf combo ya got there. How well does it mount up and do u like it

Rico
01-10-2005, 10:17 AM

Here's the skinny on the cams.

Big difference between these two cams. Bottom end feels the same to me between the two. But the HRC Cam has way more mid and topend hit. The mid-range is killer and pulls longer and harder on the topend. The XR cam would just drop off quick and I would have to shift more often to keep it in the right power range. I won't be having that problem anymore. It was Definitly a good purchase and real nice compliment to my motor.

400exdad
01-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks Rico. I appreciate the ride review!

Kilabanshee
01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Deff one of the nicer xc 400exs ive seen good luck racing!

crazyatvn
01-10-2005, 09:54 PM
I have the same tank I love it BUT I made the mistake of filling it up for a race OH MY GOD it was heavy. So I learned my lesson and DO NOT fill it up all the way. I am glad you like the HRC cam I was thinking of getting it and after your review I will definitely get it. I will be doing motor work here this month or the next. Hope everything comes out. Here is my 400ex.
http://webpages.charter.net/crazyatvn/250x/400ex.jpg

tdsongster
01-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Question Pappy

I am having a 416 built and was thinking of the 13:1 compression. How come you went with 10.8:1?

Why would you use the HRC cam vs a hotcam stage 2?

BTW very sweet quad...

Thanks

400exdad
01-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by tdsongster
Question Pappy

I am having a 416 built and was thinking of the 13:1 compression. How come you went with 10.8:1?

Why would you use the HRC cam vs a hotcam stage 2?

BTW very sweet quad...

Thanks

Uhhh, thats Rico. :D

He'll answer, but I imagine he does not want to have to run pure race gas. With 10.8 to 1, he's on the fringe of premium pump gas. Increasing the compression would reduce the reliability, which means sooner rebuilds, etc. Which is something that someone with a little one on the way does not want to spend money on. He is saving his money for diapers and formula. :blah:

Rico
01-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Uhhh, thats Rico. :D

He'll answer, but I imagine he does not want to have to run pure race gas. With 10.8 to 1, he's on the fringe of premium pump gas. Increasing the compression would reduce the reliability, which means sooner rebuilds, etc. Which is something that someone with a little one on the way does not want to spend money on. He is saving his money for diapers and formula. :blah:

LMFAO.. 400exdad is pretty much 100% correct.

poopy diapers are in my future....:eek2:

I like the idea of being able to run pump gas. The thought of HAVING to buy $5 gallon gas makes me gringe and the thought that I grabbed the wrong gas can when I left town. Now I"m 300 miles from home and have no idea were to buy race gas, so I get to look at my quad while my buddies get to ride.. I run a 50/50 mix of 93 octane and 110 and like the performance I get from the mixture. Also, the biggest factor I"ve had when building my engine is reliability. 13.1 piston in my quad, would also require me to get heavy duty head studs and stronger Rod, To be reliable and to give me piece of mind. There goes another $350 which I don't really need to spend.

Why the HRC over a hot cam. LMFAO Most know my feelings toward hot cams.

HRC = Honda Racing Company, built and tested by Honda

Hotcam = POS and a history of failures

Rootar
01-11-2005, 09:34 AM
thats a sick 400 rico looks awesome espiecally with that tank very nice job

btw how much did that hrc cam cost ya:confused:

Rico
01-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
thats a sick 400 rico looks awesome espiecally with that tank very nice job

btw how much did that hrc cam cost ya:confused:

I can't say what it cost because it was discounted from a sponsor, but I think some places sell them for around $275, which is pretty costly, but you do get what you pay for.

UglyMotha™
01-11-2005, 10:50 AM
I can't say what it cost because it was discounted from a sponsor, but I think some places sell them for around $275, which is pretty costly, but you do get what you pay for.

soooo you wanna put your freshly redone hrc cammed motor up against my freshly done over hot cam cammed motor :uhoh: showdown at rolling thunder :o

Rico
01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
soooo you wanna put your freshly redone hrc cammed motor up against my freshly done over hot cam cammed motor :uhoh: showdown at rolling thunder :o

:o

After you strap 100 more pounds on the quad, we'll race.........:scary: I'll win no matter what, I just figured me being 100 more pounds than you might give you an advantage. But then again it probably wouldn't.....:devious:

UglyMotha™
01-12-2005, 06:18 AM
bah! for you guy i'll slap on an extra 150, i think the new motor should handle the extra weight with ease :devil:

Rico
01-14-2005, 06:50 AM
bah! for you guy i'll slap on an extra 150, i think the new motor should handle the extra weight with ease :devil:

Lots a talk coming from a little baby boy......:chinese:

UglyMotha™
01-14-2005, 06:58 AM
Lots a talk coming from a little baby boy......:chinese:

:o I may be a little baby boy....................

But i'll have a large motor between my legs http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/eyebrows.gif LMGDAO

Rico
01-14-2005, 07:05 AM
:o I may be a little baby boy....................

But i'll have a large motor between my legs http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/eyebrows.gif LMGDAO

I"m gonna go puke now....:scary:

muddy400EX
01-15-2005, 12:13 AM
WOW, that is def. one of the nicest 400's ive seen. them light covers are really cool, but how did u mount em?:(

Rico
01-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
WOW, that is def. one of the nicest 400's ive seen. them light covers are really cool, but how did u mount em?:(

It's a thin piece of lexan that has been spray painted black on the backside then clear sprayed over it. Pops in place and the green arrows show were I have it zip tied. There's actually 2 more spots for zip ties but I just put them on the side...:cool:

XTREME-400EX
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
hey rico sickk bike its i really like it, it looks like you put alot of money and time good work man . hey i was wondering if you have anything left from your factory parts im willinf to buy a few things just let me know .

the mudddd rockss>>>>>>>>>>>:D

Rico
01-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by XTREME-400EX
hey rico sickk bike its i really like it, it looks like you put alot of money and time good work man . hey i was wondering if you have anything left from your factory parts im willinf to buy a few things just let me know .

the mudddd rockss>>>>>>>>>>>:D

No parts left man. I either destroyed them or sold them off..:scary:

user101
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
It's a thin piece of lexan that has been spray painted black on the backside then clear sprayed over it. Pops in place and the green arrows show were I have it zip tied. There's actually 2 more spots for zip ties but I just put them on the side...:cool:

hey rico i used clear silicone around the inside edge. i havent had a single problem with it falling out either.

ZSK
01-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Deffinately a pissed off quad:devil:

Joe400ex
03-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Hope I can hold onto it after the motor rebuild.....:eek2:

hey whats up man i was talking to u about the stickers ur quad is bada**:devil:

ilovemymxer
03-29-2005, 05:41 PM
nice quad...only the gas tank looks tacky...you need to cover that up or something. i would've thought it was a bad quad besides that tho. :D

blue416ex
03-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Rico could you post a close up pik of the aarms im trying to figure out what mine are im not sure do the bottoms have that reeenforcing bar close to where the vushiungs go like the upper aarm

i think mine are housers thou ?:confused:

jdwxv3
03-29-2005, 06:39 PM
I like everything about it even the tank! Rico what class do you race? I am racing Lorreta Lynn's somewhere in the morning classes. Probaly the 25 and Up C class. Anyway I hope I see you there, I will say hello if I spot you. Later, Josh

Rico
03-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jdwxv3
I like everything about it even the tank! Rico what class do you race? I am racing Lorreta Lynn's somewhere in the morning classes. Probaly the 25 and Up C class. Anyway I hope I see you there, I will say hello if I spot you. Later, Josh

I'll be there in the 28- 32 class, see ya on the line.

iluvmymxer, graphic kits directly on a gas tank don't hold up to well. They bubble up, even the ones with perforations in them. I wasted $40 on a graphics kit to only last 2 races and won't do it again.