PDA

View Full Version : Big Gun or HMF pipe???

Glamis400ex
01-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Anyone care to chime in about their experiences with either pipe? I haven't been here too much lately so I'm kinda out of the loop on pipes right now. I'd like to stay under 100db's since not everyone likes loud pipes. I'll be ditching my DMC pipe soon. Any interest for anyone?? Very good condition.

Look at my sig for mods to my 400ex.

Thanks

Glamis

nosliw
01-02-2005, 07:36 PM
i don't have any experiences with big gun but i love my hmf slip on. buy the $20 quietcore insert and i think it keeps you under 100dB. great low/mid range gains.

Glamis400ex
01-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Ok, cool. I'd like to get someone to respond who has the full system. I'd like to know if the headers stick out to far and eat up your riding boots. My DMC has dual headpipes all the way back to the canister and no heat sheild, it sticks out pretty far off the motor so it tears up my boots something fierce. I'm looking into some Tech8's but not until I get a new pipe. I'd like to get some baggy style riding pants as well, but I don't dare due to the pipes. That's also the other rason for a new pipe.

Glamis

throwinitup
01-02-2005, 07:57 PM
the big gun and hmf both give great low end gains, i think the big gun wins there, though...as for the decibles, i think the hmf may be quieter. you can get either a big gun race or big gun quiet, or hmf and buy the core for it...i have a big gun race, and its awesome, its alot better than a DMC, i spanked a stock 400 with a DMC with my stock 400 with the big gun on it...ive also beat a stock 400 with a TC shorty....but both BG and HMF are high quality pipes...it just depends on what you want...

throwinitup
01-02-2005, 07:59 PM
for the big gun full system there are no clearance issues with the head pipe for me, though my plastic is gettin a hole melted in it...god dammit!!!

Glamis400ex
01-02-2005, 08:02 PM
How is it melting a hole? Did you roll the quad?

Glamis

JDiablo
01-02-2005, 08:08 PM
HMF without the quite core is well over 100 db's
I run a full system open end pipe,it is prolly 104db's
but the quiet core helps alot i would say right under 100 at 98 though,if it was me i would get the HMF

throwinitup
01-02-2005, 08:09 PM
no, you know where the pipe goes behind the fender and theres a peice of tape there, well when you buy your pipe, put some sheet metal or heavier temp tape on there, jsut somethin to protect your plastic,, i think my problem was was that when i ride, i stand alot and lean back when i hit jumps and what not and i think my fender bounced off the pipe too many times...but if you take the precaution and put extra heat protection on there, you should be set! i would go with the big gun if i were you...and the full system, b/c of all that motor work you got done...100 people could tell you use the stock headpipe with a hmf slipon and itll be the best exhaust ever...imo and from experience, i like the big gun more than almost any pipe out there....

~matt

also, how does that 416 run? i want to do a 416 11:1, stage 2 cam, port and polish, hd springs, 350x timing chain, and thats probably it...

cals400ex
01-03-2005, 12:42 AM
my buddy runs a full HMF and has no clearance issues with the header. he hasn't burnt his pants. i personally would get something else besides the big gun, but that is my opinion. the full HMF gave good gains in power, really good over a slip on actually. i have a feeling the DMC would produce more overall power than the big gun for sure. the DMC was never all that bad for power output. you would probably need a quite core for either pipe. my buddy runs an X-4 with great success on his 416 like yours. i would also consider LRD too. good luck on your decision.

throwinitup
01-03-2005, 05:26 AM
cals-
a fully stock piped 400 w/ big gun beat a fully stock piped 400 w/ dmc, time and time again, and the big gun is a low end pipe, with the dmc junker being mid and top.....

just my .02 from experience

cals400ex
01-03-2005, 12:26 PM
the big guns i have seen never impressed me. yes, they are low end pipes. i guess i can say i am a bit biased because i like drag racing. you do NOT want a big gun for my style of riding. the mid-top end power is exactly what i need. so, that is what leads me away from the big gun.

also, we need to realize his bike is not near stock. the big guns just don't flow quite as much as most any other aftermarket pipe in the upper rpms. like i said, i am not bashing the people who have it but i wouldn't get it.

muddy400EX
01-03-2005, 03:17 PM
go for an HMF full system. i just have a slip on HMF and i love it! it is a great quality pipe. with all the motor work you have though i would run without a quiet core. with a sparky in it it isnt to loud. and it sounds awesome anyways so who cares:D

wildchildracer4
01-03-2005, 10:33 PM
glamis400ex, what are you tryibg to get out of your dmc exhaust? let me know, dustin

n00b on a 400ex
01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
i think the full system was worth it. gives mine alot more bottom and mid range increase with some nice top end

Glamis400ex
01-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Sent you a email wildchild.

Glamis

EXDUNER127
01-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Go with the biggun, i had the old style biggun (smaller diameter header and mid pipe) and sold it because my two buddies had a hmf and an wb R4 and the had a little more, so i sold mine and ibecause i love the look and fit of the biggun i purchased the new style biggun which they mike young had the header and mid pipe enlarged which looks alot meaner too. And now i beat my friends in a drag at galmis, about 8/10 times! Awesome pipe and it sounds sweet, you can buy the biggun quiet and then the race core insert for like 15$ and switch between them!

300ex13
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
big gun...i heard they're awesome...not sure about the full system but they're good ive also heard good things about hmf but they're loud