PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to install a piston and cam

400exrider04
01-02-2005, 05:35 PM
im getting a stage 1 or 2 hot cam and a high comp. piston in the spring and i was just wondering how difficult it wuld be to install thanks for the help

RIDER136
01-02-2005, 06:27 PM
go with the stage 2 cam if you are going with the high compression piston the stage 2 with give you the high end that you want and the high compression piston will give the low end you also want .it was pretty easy to do took about 3 hours to do me and bro did it even honed out the cylinde rmyself . these mods are like night and day. also i would recomemend the you change the rev box and go with the gt thunder rev box it is money well spent hope this help...... also if you dont have a manual get one it will help out

400exdad
01-03-2005, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't try it without a manual.

Dumontexrider
01-03-2005, 08:48 PM
The hardest part for me was getting the old gaskets off. Their such a pain even with the gasket remover. But like 400exdad said, dont do it without a manual, youll end up doing stupid stuff like dropping the cam chain so it falls off the sprocket and is a pain to get back on. Just make sure to tourqe everything good

Rico
01-04-2005, 07:04 AM
With a manual it's a peice of cake, and after you do it once or twice you don't even need the manual anymore....:eek:

Be patiant, follow directions and pay close attention to details.

tido450
01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
im pretty sure with stage two you need stronger valve springs

Rico
01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by tido450
im pretty sure with stage two you need stronger valve springs

And a new motor for when it fails......:eek:

LMAO............. Sorry I had to say it..:blah:

devildriver422
01-04-2005, 03:17 PM
is the stage 2 unreliable?....also im gonna be getting a cam and piston and i want to know if i should get them before or after i get my quad tuned up because idk how to adjust the timing and if i cant do it myself ill put the cam in then bring it in for them to do the timing along with everything else.

400exrider04
01-04-2005, 06:09 PM
im pretty shure i wont need new valve springs for a stage 2 hot cam but does anyone know for shure and what would the diffrence be between a stage 1 and a stage 2 i ride pretty much all mx so what one would be the best thanks alot for the help

400exdad
01-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by devildriver422
is the stage 2 unreliable?....also im gonna be getting a cam and piston and i want to know if i should get them before or after i get my quad tuned up because idk how to adjust the timing and if i cant do it myself ill put the cam in then bring it in for them to do the timing along with everything else.

The timing is fixed unless you use a timing advance key. No adjustment. There is really nothing to tune when they are stock... now if you start modding, you'll need to start messing with the jetting. That about the only tuning you do besides adjusting the valves.

Rico
01-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider04
im pretty shure i wont need new valve springs for a stage 2 hot cam but does anyone know for shure and what would the diffrence be between a stage 1 and a stage 2 i ride pretty much all mx so what one would be the best thanks alot for the help

You need the stage 2 for MX. It's a topend cam.

Timing will not be off, unless it's been advanced like 400exdaddio stated.

weightlifter01
01-05-2005, 09:58 PM
its very easy on the left hand side of the engine take out the allen head bolt on the flywheel then the smaller one above it now put a socket on the flywheel and rotate it until you see the letter T in the smaller allen head bolt hole once your there line up the marks on your cam gear were there even with your head make sure the word out isn't visible to you.just bolt on your valve cover and set valve lash and your set. oh yeah here's a trick for ya IF YOU GET A TC RACING CAM REMOVE THE PLUNGER AND SPRING IN THE HEAD AND TAKE OFF THE DECOMPRESSION DEVICE ON THE CAM(YOU DON'T NEED THEM)

SAND LUVR
01-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Rico, So for a 416 I should get a stage 2 for mx? What gears are you running? Should it be stock?

beak7707
01-07-2005, 03:43 PM
I would also recommend putting a new timing chain in while you have it tore down. I have seen too many 300's and 400's that have junk timing chains.

400exdad
01-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by weightlifter01
its very easy on the left hand side of the engine take out the allen head bolt on the flywheel then the smaller one above it now put a socket on the flywheel and rotate it until you see the letter T in the smaller allen head bolt hole once your there line up the marks on your cam gear were there even with your head make sure the word out isn't visible to you.just bolt on your valve cover and set valve lash and your set. oh yeah here's a trick for ya IF YOU GET A TC RACING CAM REMOVE THE PLUNGER AND SPRING IN THE HEAD AND TAKE OFF THE DECOMPRESSION DEVICE ON THE CAM(YOU DON'T NEED THEM)

What about steps 2 through 32? :D :blah:

Rico
01-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by SAND LUVR
Rico, So for a 416 I should get a stage 2 for mx? What gears are you running? Should it be stock?

Stage 2 is definitly the cam you want for MX. I ran a 15/36 gear with 18 inch MX tires and loved it. Take off your airbox lid and rejet if you haven't and you'll have one pissed off quad....:eek2:

SAND LUVR
01-07-2005, 05:43 PM
sounds sweet Rico thanks. I already have the lid off. I will try that out. Thanks again