PDA

View Full Version : xbox live, help!

allmixedup047
01-02-2005, 03:43 PM
i went to get xbox live today and found out that i would need to buy a wireless router that goes from my xbox to my wireless router for my computer. which is like another 70-100 bucks. i have a wireless router in my room next to the xbox that i use for my internet. my question is, is there any other options that i can go with using my wireless router and still be able to use the internet at the same time? or for that matter is there any other option at all? i just dont feel like spending 150 bucks on something that i will be getting rid of when i move to arizona.

please help. thanks:)

250exen
01-02-2005, 03:47 PM
cant you just take a ethernet cord and put it from your router to your x-box? most wireless routers have regular land line outs too... all you should need is a ethernet cord

allmixedup047
01-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 250exen
cant you just take a ethernet cord and put it from your router to your x-box? most wireless routers have regular land line outs too... all you should need is a ethernet cord
ok, but would i have to run this from the other computer. the one with the land line, because my router reciever doesnt have an outlet that i can hook a cord up to. and whats the ethernet cord? is that the same as th cat5 cord?

250exen
01-02-2005, 04:50 PM
yup.. there the same...

not sure if this will work, but could you swich routers? put the wireless one with the other computer and put the wired one on your computer? not sure what you have going on, but thats an idea?if there not to far apat, the wireless one should still work for whatever you have running on it..

allmixedup047
01-02-2005, 04:58 PM
well my step dad is the one who set up the internet so we couldnt switch the routers because he is the most anal person i know. i guess im just going to have to get the wireless xbox router. god this sucks.

allmixedup047
01-02-2005, 04:58 PM
thanks for the info though.

chris

250exen
01-02-2005, 05:00 PM
your welecome, you might wanna check e-bay.. i bet there are some there pretty cheap

honduh440
01-02-2005, 07:37 PM
xbox has a thing that can work with wireless routers i cant think of the exact name of it but it plugs into the ethernet plug on ur xbox and then power cable to the wall and it will recieve the internet signal im not sure how much it cost but i wouldnt doubt it being 50 bux

redlineranger
01-02-2005, 08:28 PM
i went to ebgames and told the guy i wanted a cat 5 cable(ethernet) and he handed me the system link to hook up to xbox's... he wus like a technical nerd that wuld kno everything there is about a xbox and he handed me the wrong dam thing:mad:

allmixedup047
01-03-2005, 01:33 PM
the wireless xbox hook up deal is 100bucks. i guess im screwd:ermm:

zephead400ex
01-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
i guess im screwd:ermm:

Welcome to my world Chris:macho

250exen
01-03-2005, 01:52 PM
im telling you, go to ebay, type in x-box wireless adapter and you will get hundreds of adapters. it will take you $55 thats with shipping... i just looked. 60 tops

FreekShow
01-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
i went to ebgames and told the guy i wanted a cat 5 cable(ethernet) and he handed me the system link to hook up to xbox's... he wus like a technical nerd that wuld kno everything there is about a xbox and he handed me the wrong dam thing:mad:

um there the same thing I believe......

allmixedup047
01-04-2005, 02:49 PM

yeah the system link is for hooking up two xbox's together, which can also be used to hook up your modem to the xbox. its so east if you have a modem next to your xbox, all you do is plug it in. but mines wireless.

redlineranger
01-06-2005, 04:23 PM
my friend told me the system link should work if i plug it in to the back of the dsl box..... will it work before i open it cus i havent took it out the package:confused:

redlineranger
01-06-2005, 04:23 PM
my friend told me the system link should work if i plug it in to the back of the dsl box..... will it work before i open it cus i havent took it out the package:confused:

Needa450
01-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Not 100% sure, but im 99.9% no it will not work. Only ethernet cable works.

Im interested in this wireless X box deal, I already have wireless through my house for my computer, my brothers, and sisters, it would be sweet to not have a 100 foot cable going through my house.

kawasaki_ridah
01-06-2005, 09:24 PM
what brand is your wireless router?

Needa450
01-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by kawasaki_ridah
what brand is your wireless router?

U.S Robotics-Router
U.S Robotics-Wireless Reciever for Laptop
LinkSys-Wireless reciever for Desktop
Ethernet Cable from Router-Xbox and Desktop

So I have 4 connections off of one modem, and the only way I know how to hook up Xbox is through either cable to router, or wireless to router, or cable to modem.

LinkSys is compatible with U.S Robotics