View Full Version : Mozila Firefox

Ralph
01-02-2005, 02:49 PM
So of us know there there are more web browsers then Internet Explore. One of the main browsers beside IE is mozilla (very big on linux). Firefox is mozilla new project and it works great. This is open source so there will be thousands of add-ons. Firefox has been out for a month and there is already around 100 extensions. My fav part of the software which is "tabs". This has been in mozilla for a long time and have always liked it. This allows you to have just one window open and you can switch back and forth between many sites at easy.

I downloaded this today and im hooked, it works great. I already downloaded some extensions like one of them gives me a small control bar for music that i listen to while i surf the web. Another lets me FTP righ in another tabbed window. Everyone should give it a try!
You can download the software at
Firefox website (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=user/register&r=55367)

EXRIDER400KFX
01-02-2005, 02:54 PM
i know i have firefox and i like it a lot bettter then IE. but there is no way in hell ur going to bring down microsoft. just give up now.

JDiablo
01-02-2005, 02:56 PM
i think he was being sarcastic:rolleyes:

i would d/l it but i got 56k still:(

Ralph
01-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
i think he was being sarcastic:rolleyes:

i would d/l it but i got 56k still:(

yes i was...

Warnerade
01-02-2005, 03:24 PM
LOL

Blasta400ex
01-02-2005, 03:33 PM
i have firefox,...its awesome

allmixedup047
01-02-2005, 03:35 PM
ive been using mozilla for a while now ever since zephead400ex told me to use it and i absolutly love it. the only thing is it doesnt realy like java. but thats not that big of a deal. mozilla kicks everything elses *** when it comes to browsers in my book. i am very happy with it:D

Ralph
01-02-2005, 03:52 PM
I just switched to "Thunderbird" aswell. It is their version of outlook for mail and i also like this one more than outlook witch i used to use.

Syrus
01-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Im using firefox now too, its well worth the switch over from IE.

2001-400ex'er
01-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I have had Firefox for over 2 weeks and absolutly love it. No pop-ups and alot faster than IE. I highly reccomend it.

Butters
01-02-2005, 07:00 PM
yeah i have firefox too. i posted about this a couple of weeks ago. i think its a bunch better plus it loads faster than IE.

Guy400
01-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I had it a few months ago but switched back to IE because, for me, it just wasn't quite as fast. I don't know why but Mozilla seemed to take longer to display images. Text would load on par with IE but images lagged behind.

ny300exrider
01-02-2005, 07:19 PM
ive been running firefox for about 3 months and absolutly love it, no popups, no spyware, its the best

Warnerade
01-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
I had it a few months ago but switched back to IE because, for me, it just wasn't quite as fast. I don't know why but Mozilla seemed to take longer to display images. Text would load on par with IE but images lagged behind. agreed. i got rid of it within a few hours

hondarider2006
01-02-2005, 07:35 PM
I have been using it for a few months and its much better than IE imo.

Guy400
01-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Here's what I'm talking about that keeps me from becoming a permanent user of Firefox. The very first time I open a web page the images load slowly. After the page has loaded once I can leave and come back and they load fine at that point. But, if I close Firefox down and open it up again all the images that I've already looked at are slow. Here's what the forum page looked like for me for several seconds after closing Firefox and opening it back up.

kazpr
01-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Guy are you on 56k?

Butters
01-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Here's what I'm talking about that keeps me from becoming a permanent user of Firefox. The very first time I open a web page the images load slowly. After the page has loaded once I can leave and come back and they load fine at that point. But, if I close Firefox down and open it up again all the images that I've already looked at are slow. Here's what the forum page looked like for me for several seconds after closing Firefox and opening it back up.

thats weird because everyone i have talked to says it loads faster. it should because it uses less resources, and a lot less at that.

Guy400
01-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Let me post the pic again, it isn't that fuzzy on my desktop.

Guy400
01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by kazpr
Guy are you on 56k? No, I'm on cable with 1mb download speed. Once web pages are cached there's no doubt Mozilla is faster than IE but, for me, any time I'm visiting a new page it takes far too long to load. Also, I originally attempted to attach a pic in my previous reply and it came out fuzzy using Mozilla. I tried to attach it again this morning using Mozilla and it was just a red X. I opened IE and attached the picture without incident.

I'm no lover of Microsoft but Mozilla just isn't the ticket for me, yet.

Butters
01-03-2005, 08:05 PM
No, I'm on cable with 1mb download speed. Once web pages are cached there's no doubt Mozilla is faster than IE but, for me, any time I'm visiting a new page it takes far too long to load. Also, I originally attempted to attach a pic in my previous reply and it came out fuzzy using Mozilla. I tried to attach it again this morning using Mozilla and it was just a red X. I opened IE and attached the picture without incident.

I'm no lover of Microsoft but Mozilla just isn't the ticket for me, yet.

your cable is only doing 1mb. that sounds really bad for cable. i know my dsl averages at least 1.5mb and my friends cable averages 3mbs.

Ralph
01-03-2005, 08:05 PM
im gonna try to attach a pic in firefox

::Dont look to blury::

Warnerade
01-03-2005, 08:08 PM
ralph..why did you have to post another mans problem? i have forgotten about that day...and you bring up bad memories.

Guy400
01-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Butters
your cable is only doing 1mb. that sounds really bad for cable. i know my dsl averages at least 1.5mb and my friends cable averages 3mbs. I am on a small, local cable company network. It is not a national cable network like Time Warner, Comcast, Adelphia, etc. They recently upped their speed to 1mb, it was at 256k :eek2: Either way, it doesn't change the fact that on my PC Mozilla is slower than IE.

Butters
01-03-2005, 08:21 PM
I am on a small, local cable company network. It is not a national cable network like Time Warner, Comcast, Adelphia, etc. They recently upped their speed to 1mb, it was at 256k :eek2: Either way, it doesn't change the fact that on my PC Mozilla is slower than IE.

my friend only has cox. but i wouldn't say pc mozilla is slower than ie. maybe the way its reacts to the signal from your cable because i know lots of people that say otherwise.

Rdhanded2
01-04-2005, 09:59 AM
I am on a local cable internet company here, and I am at 3.5mb. You can pay more and get 6mb, but I don't think it is worth it. Atleast not for me.

zephead400ex
01-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Mozilla all the way! Thunderbird will be a good email client once more features are added to it. I believe Thunderbird is up to V1.0. Give it time while they add/modify features within that program.

Guy: I've never experienced those types of problems. Have you installed any extensions? I ask because I have not installed any extensions as of yet and have not had similar problems. j/w

mech_head6
01-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I've been using firefox for bout 9 months, and i think it is awesome... we use it at work and its great we now have cable, i have no problems with loading pictures.

by the way i work in a barn...

Ralph
01-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I use thunderbird and i already liked it more. Outlook had problems storing my password. And also thunderbird will let me know when i have mail of my pop3 server in real time. Then i can download it from the server. Outlook was setup to check every ten minutes. The little things like that make a diff to me.

Lax
01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Microsoft will be in business as long as the Military is on order. Microsoft is creating software right now, for the Navys new most advanced stealth DDX Destroyer. Along with PDA's for the military.

Stealth on here is more then 30 years advanced then the current B2 bomber.

But the Raptor is a different story.

http://ww2.pstripes.osd.mil/01/nov01/ddx1104.jpg

Taco
01-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Here is a cool tip. Really seems to help too:cool:

forevergeek.com has a useful guide on speeding up firefox for broadband users. basically after getting to the hidden config settings you set the browser to request more data that it usually does.

1.Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”

Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”

Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0”. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages MUCH faster now!

Ralph
01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Thx for the tips taco, i just changed some of the settings and i dont notice anything special, but my connection is really good anyways and the site is cached anyways. Im sure it didnt hurt to change it anyways.

hondamxer161
01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
i was just about to post those changes taco. good job. where did you find those at? i found em at therangerstation.com

mike

Taco
01-04-2005, 09:21 PM
www.hackaday.com

Big400EX
01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah I have have Firefox for a few months now, im happy with it. No annoying pop ups and stupid adware.

Ralph, just stop while your ahead.

Butters
01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
anything that dial up users can do?? anything helps.