PDA

View Full Version : Air filter for the dunes

400exnac
01-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I have a K&N and I run in teh sand as much as I do on the track. I heard that K&N's are not good to use in teh sand. What should I use instead, and will that filter be good on the track also.

sportraxkid
01-02-2005, 06:59 PM
I had a K&N and found deposites in my boot so I bought a UNI filter and put a nylon over it and havent found any sand in there yet and It didnt make a difference in power.

400exnac
01-02-2005, 07:21 PM
with or without an airbox lid?

400EX QUADER
01-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Ok I have a K&N airfilter for woods and sand with an outerwear and no airbox lid. It works great and I have had nothing get through yet!

sportraxkid
01-03-2005, 03:31 PM
No Lid

wilkin250r
01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I have a K&N, and I make sure its properly oiled, and I have NEVER found anything in my airboot. And I've run some of the most god-awful dusty conditions known to man in the Nevada desert, and I don't have an airbox at all.

twisted threads
01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I have a K&N on all three of my bikes and have had no problems. On my 250r I don't run a air box at all...I have the ESR air filter kit.

mattonln
01-06-2005, 10:21 PM
dude, K&N's w/outerwear are the best for the sand.... my buddy had a UNI foam on his DS and if misfired and shot a flame out the carb and caught the foam on fire!!! almost f-ed up his whole bike! I swear by K&N... no problem ever and the best power... I live on the oregon dunes and I don't know anyone who runs anything else but K&N

400exnac
01-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Since I started all this Ill give my 2 cents. I run an open air box with a K&N and an outer ware when im on the dunes and I have yet to have a problem. This was something I heard while talking at the local Honda shop in town.

AshYFZ450
01-13-2005, 08:19 PM
My $.02 is for K&N with an Outerwear also. Just got finished cleaning them, for my YFZ and my wifes 400EX, for our trip to Gordans this weekend. I have been running the same filter on the 400ex for almost three years now (without an airbox at all) and its been great. I clean it after ever 3-4 trips to the desert.

Keep it clean and oiled!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/pa3eeda87c563896f6e9ad539af663eac/f5684606.jpg

Samson
01-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Sand consists of larger particals then typical dusty conditions. I think K&N is ideal for sand. Use it on both my quads.

Only place I wouldn't want one is in wet conditions because of the cotton gauze.

04-KFX400
01-28-2005, 10:57 AM
CT Racing has a tip page for their motors and which type of filter to use for different types of riding.

-------------------------------

From CTRacing.com

K&N Air Filters, CT recommends K&N air filters always be used in conjunction with an Outerwear or K&N pre-charger. K&N air filters are best for sand only. Unfortunately K&N's will pass fine dust particles, so we don't recommend them for desert racing or all conditions. K&N air filters have very good airflow characteristics and will keep out the big stuff just fine.

Foam air filters such as Dura-Blue are recommended for desert racing and any dusty conditions. The staff at CT doesn't recommend foam filters for sand because they tend to load up with sand and will eventually pass some sand into the intake tract. Dual stage foam is generally the best all around air filter but doesn't flow air quite as well as the K&N or oiled gauze type air filters.

Eddiesanders250
02-02-2005, 07:27 PM
I run a K&N filter in the dunes and it runs fine.

AZblaster44
02-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by mattonln
my buddy had a UNI foam on his DS and if misfired and shot a flame out the carb and caught the foam on fire!!! almost f-ed up his whole bike!

That Wasnt the UNI's fault....;)

Both the K&N and the UNI will work fine if properly maintained...people will tell you this or that but its pretty much just personal prefference. I for one will only use foam filters (UNI) and I have my reason, but thats only on my quads.....the go karts and cars all get K&N's!!!

blue416ex
02-08-2005, 08:10 PM
i like the prodesign even thou i have a k&n (unfortunatly) i had a prodesign on my banshee and i have to say it worked verywell considering i only ride dunes:D and light trails to get there but that filternever let one grain of sand into that motor that i could see and it always lookd brand new

wilkin250r
02-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I think most problems with K&N involve improper oiling. With a foam filter, you spray the oil all over the surface, much like spraypainting. If you tried that same technique with a K&N, it would leave the bottom of the pleats dry. You have to pay careful attention to spraying down to the bottom of each pleat.

The pleats are the grooves, the folds in the filter material.

Jimmy V
02-15-2005, 03:16 AM
k-n with outerwear, no problems on my banshee or 250r