PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tamers for MX

400exnac
01-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Whats everyones opinions on Turf Tamers for MX racing?

KYmxracer52
01-02-2005, 03:50 PM
They do real well if the track is semi-slick. Really thick stuff, they need to be grooved, but still not great. 4strokes will eat them alive.

LTandRaptorider
01-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I've used them on my 2-stroke before and liked them. But being they are a softer compound, don't expect much life out of them... especially like said above, 4-strokes, especially built ones, would tear them up!

maggiesboy
01-03-2005, 10:11 AM
A healthy thumper uses the tire as designed. If you are using the rubber, thats is a good tire. If you have alot of tire left, you have too much tire for your machine. All you are doing then is moving dirt, instead of the machine. aka spinning, loss of traction, going nowhere. My 2 cents

Out_Sider
01-03-2005, 02:54 PM
^^ that is correct in so many ways

400exnac
01-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys I think I get the point. Pry wont be getting any of them.

AtvMxRider
01-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I've used them on my 2-stroke before and liked them. But being they are a softer compound, don't expect much life out of them... especially like said above, 4-strokes, especially built ones, would tear them up!

nwi45
01-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Dumb question, but does grooving help on hard dirt or loose?

Cole Trane
01-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by nwi45
Dumb question, but does grooving help on hard dirt or loose?

Loose. Opens up the tread for more traction. Turf Tamers have a close tread pattern which is good for slicker (not muddy slick) conditions.

INFANTRY RACING
01-09-2005, 05:42 PM
grooving opens it up for better tread cleaning. the tammers are good on hardpack cause theres more tread on the dirt then holeshot or whatever but the holeshots clear the tread better for loose conditions

QuadJunkies
01-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
grooving opens it up for better tread cleaning. the tammers are good on hardpack cause theres more tread on the dirt then holeshot or whatever but the holeshots clear the tread better for loose conditions exactly... one thing I have learned with my Tamers is they suck in muddioer tracks, that when I prefer my Knarlys but I really tamers on hardpack. We have standard and grooved set and find the goroved ones work better on our Predator

allmixedup047
01-10-2005, 12:48 AM
it does depend on where your from and i see that your from the north. so my quess is that in the mx season the tracks will be loose. i wouldnt go with tamers in your location. i would try some holeshot mx/mxr4 or maybe some razr mx tires. like everyone has said tamers work great for a dryer more hard packed track condition, but you will like the bite from a more agressive tire like the holeshot/razr/knarly.

hope my nonsense helps.:blah: