PDA

View Full Version : Mods to my 300ex

joshm8979
01-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm not very happy with my 300ex anymore. After almost 10 yrs I think it's not powerful enough. I've decided to order an HMF exhuast and a jet kit. I think this will help. That should run around $300. Would it be worth the extra $300-400 to put the all-around performance Web cam in it with new vlave springs. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please don't say to buy a new atv. Thanks!

nosliw
01-01-2005, 11:34 PM
a k&n or uni filter will compliment that nicely too. what kind of riding do you do?

Braff1
01-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Just putting the HMF will only help minimally. To get the best bang for your buck go to Powroll.com and order the 300ex headpipe. When I put mine on it was one of the biggest improvements to the engine I ever did.

If you are wanting to go into the engine a high compression piston and a good cam will help a lot. If you want deep in the engine you might want to look into either one of the 330 or 350 kits. I know from experience the 330 kit will run with a stock 400 ex.

I would also look at improving the suspension (front and rear). You will find that you can ride harder/faster in area were you weren't able to before. Ask Lil-Braff how much difference between stock and aftermarket suspension will make.

hondardr4life
01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Go with a Curtis Sparks exhaust, I wish that it would have done that in the first place instaed of buying my used FMF. I would not go with the all around cam, you won't notice as much of a difference as a stage 2 or 3. I just put in my 330 kit, and love it already. I did it myself, because labor would have costed about $600-$800. It wasnt that hard for me, but I don't know your level of engine experience.

joshm8979
01-02-2005, 09:55 PM
I only do trail riding. I could run out and get a 400ex or 450R tomorrow, but I'm trying to keep from having another payment. I just want a little more power that's all. Thanks for the help everybody.

300ex73
01-15-2005, 02:40 AM
I don't do much trail riding, but the one thing that I've done to my 300 to make it run faster and harder is change the gearing. I'm not sure what kind and size of tires you run, I myself run 18" Holeshot MXR4's and use a 14/34 gearing. I can Pull the front wheels in 4th gear and I don't mean keep them lifted, I mean pull them from the ground.

Along with a good pipe(preferrably the Sparks X-4 for a stock motor), K&N filter, no airbox lid, and proper jetting, it'll really come to life. I've done all of the above, and beaten 400EX's with the White Bros., K&N, and jetting, and can even run alongside stock, and some piped Z400's. Basically, all in all, I'd recommend all of the aforementioned, and take the time to play with the sprocket gearing.

ghak99
01-15-2005, 11:56 AM
If you have had it ten years, has it ever been rebuilt? If not you might consider boring/honing it out (Depending on what it needs) and throwing a piston and rings in it.

I know it is a honda and they last forever, but I would bet it is screaming for a better pistin.;)

jvd182
01-15-2005, 06:30 PM
how hard is putting a cam in?say compared to takein the carb off to jet it?