PDA

View Full Version : Reviews on 2005 ex

2005 EX
01-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Just read the new ATV mag. and they gave the EX dead last. I thought it was stupid, so lets find out what everyone else thinks....

Fred55
01-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Why do you think its stupid? Its still the most expensive of the three, weighs the most, and still has an old air cooled engine. In performance, the AC and Suzuki/Kawasaki are much better performers.

2005 EX
01-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Its not a Kawi, its an artic cat. But the 400ex restarted the sport quad revolution. And why would you fix something thats not broke. You know what I mean....

Fred55
01-01-2005, 08:20 PM
I said AC in there, but neways, the 400ex is outdated, its not meant to be the performance quad that it used to be. Its like going out and buying a raptor, it WAS the best performing machine, but now you wouldnt buy one to be the best race quad, or trail quad mind you. The 400ex deserved last, honda hasnt done anything to it performance wise since it was released.

sportraxkid
01-01-2005, 09:42 PM
I would take the ex over the z anyday. The 400ex is a tank you cant hurt them. And whats wrong with being air cooled all that means is less trouble. Why would a 400ex need liquid cooling when they have never had any overheating problems.

2005 EX
01-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I like my ex better than anything. Thats all I know. Just an awsome machine all round

ZQ8Dude
01-01-2005, 10:12 PM
whats best for a magazine doesnt mean whats best for you

2005 EX
01-02-2005, 08:13 AM
The mag is suppose to find whats best for me thats why I buy it..:rolleyes:

DEAL
01-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by sportraxkid
I would take the ex over the z anyday. The 400ex is a tank you cant hurt them. And whats wrong with being air cooled all that means is less trouble. Why would a 400ex need liquid cooling when they have never had any overheating problems.

Yeah .. tanks are slow too....

nosliw
01-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Yeah .. tanks are slow too....

well, the S 2000 Scorpion Peacekeeper tank built by Repaircraft PLC got to 51.1 MPH with the help of a RS 2133 engine. :)

khen
01-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by 2005 EX
Just read the new ATV mag. and they gave the EX dead last. I thought it was stupid, so lets find out what everyone else thinks.... Which atv mag is this shootout in?

khen
01-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I said AC in there, but neways, the 400ex is outdated, its not meant to be the performance quad that it used to be. Its like going out and buying a raptor, it WAS the best performing machine, but now you wouldnt buy one to be the best race quad, or trail quad mind you. The 400ex deserved last, honda hasnt done anything to it performance wise since it was released. I suppose you think your '03 Predator is better than the 400EX and the Raptor??

ZQ8Dude
01-02-2005, 05:31 PM
my friend has a polaris...id say its better then my EX.(04')

he can outrun me in a drag race fairly easily. although i can keep up in the woods. possibl the track once i get some non-sucky tires and some nerfs

400Rider022
01-02-2005, 05:32 PM
ex by far:devil:

brian-250
01-02-2005, 05:39 PM
If everyone liked the same quads this sport would be no fun at all.:macho

khen
01-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by ZQ8Dude
my friend has a polaris...id say its better then my EX.(04')

he can outrun me in a drag race fairly easily. although i can keep up in the woods. possibl the track once i get some non-sucky tires and some nerfs Yeah, I'd take the Predator for drag racing.. But I would rather an EX for trail and MX riding. I admit the EX(as well as the Z) lack the power stock. But that can be fixed with some engine mods.. It would be harder to overcome the weight, transmission and geometry issues that the '03 Predator has IMO.

ZQ8Dude
01-02-2005, 05:58 PM
i suppose, my friend is a pretty big guy and loves everything about the bike, and i cant knock it, he can work that bike very well.....makes me look like one hell of a n00b lol

sportraxkid
01-02-2005, 06:26 PM
he fred55 if you ever come down here to Sand mountain pm me and ill meet you down there ;)

Fred55
01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by khen
Yeah, I'd take the Predator for drag racing.. But I would rather an EX for trail and MX riding. I admit the EX(as well as the Z) lack the power stock. But that can be fixed with some engine mods.. It would be harder to overcome the weight, transmission and geometry issues that the '03 Predator has IMO.

I admit its weight is a little on the heavy side, but it doesnt bother me when riding/racing, ive just gotten used to it, funny you mention the tranny problems...seeing how i havent had ANY at all, and geometry? mine handles fine with the execption that it likes to slide a bit too much when it gets wet out, yes i would much rather have a predator over a 400ex and ESPECIALLY a raptor.

2005 EX
01-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I think the poll is speaking for its self....:eek2:

gearhead400
01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
i just bought an 05 400ex and its an awesome quad. i like it better than my friends kfx400, but i havnt been on a z yet.

Chef
01-04-2005, 10:14 PM
First off, do you realize the DVX, Z400, and KFX400 are all the same bike? All they changed on the DVX was the plastic to make it uglier than sin. The EX should have finished last in that shootout. Theres no way, if I had to ride something that was stock, would I get a 400ex. It feels like a lawnmower when its stock. The Suzakicat isnt alot better, but I would rather have it over the EX. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been out-drag raced or out handled by any Z400 on my EX, but neither side was stock and at the level the bikes were on, stock means nothing.

Yea, the predators are heavy, and they dont handle very good stock, but in the range those are in for the bikes, they all suck. The Raptor is top heavy, but it is a real fun ride...get it a little sideways sit back and pin it and have a little fun. The DumbSlug650 isn't even worth test riding...and the V-Force? Way to take a utility and try to make it compete. If I was going to have anything that big...It would be a Yamaha Rhino...them things are sweet! :macho

lol
01-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I admit its weight is a little on the heavy side, but it doesnt bother me when riding/racing, ive just gotten used to it, funny you mention the tranny problems...seeing how i havent had ANY at all, and geometry? mine handles fine with the execption that it likes to slide a bit too much when it gets wet out, yes i would much rather have a predator over a 400ex and ESPECIALLY a raptor.

FRED, come ride some real trails in the northeast, and then see what you would rather have, your predator, or an ex

Fred55
01-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Come to Wisconsin and see some trails, and my predators power and suspension cant be beat by a 400ex, i ride with a lot of ppl with ex's, they just dont feel right, cheap shocks, and low on power.

PHIL_B54
01-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 2005 EX
I think the poll is speaking for its self....:eek2:

what do you expect the poll to say? you're in the 400ex section

i havent read the article, but I hope it didnt lose by much. The kaw/suk/art 400 are great machines, but they are basically an ex with liquid cooling. (the mags cant complain about reverse anymore)

the ex deserves to lose that shootout, or pretty much all shootouts for that matter. it really is the lowest tech/oldest of the sport quads. dont get me wrong, i love my ex, but its the truth

ZQ8Dude
01-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Phil has it.

besides, who cares? once you hit 400+ you'll be happy no matter what. all of the bikes have the potential for racing

P.HUNT
10-19-2005, 08:54 AM
I have both the PREDATOR AND THE 400EX lets just say i have never rode the 400EX since the day I got the Predator!
the 400 is now my loner bike I let my friends ride it and laugh when after 30 min of hard trail riding they are sweating ,tired ,sore ,complaining of there knees and elbows hurting!

Everyone I know that has ever rode a Predator or Raptor before buying has never bought a 400EX!

hondajoe05
10-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by P.HUNT
I have both the PREDATOR AND THE 400EX lets just say i have never rode the 400EX since the day I got the Predator!
the 400 is now my loner bike I let my friends ride it and laugh when after 30 min of hard trail riding they are sweating ,tired ,sore ,complaining of there knees and elbows hurting!

Everyone I know that has ever rode a Predator or Raptor before buying has never bought a 400EX!

ok first of all ya the kfx z and dvx are liquid cooled does that matter not really cuz the 400ex is still the best in my opuion

2nd how the hell did predators and raptors get brought into this convo?

3rd your freinds are sweating tired sore and complaining because they are city folk pansey's that don't ride very much

4th everyone you no that has bought a raptor and a predator
over a 400ex are probably regreting that fact that they did unless they live around dunes and they don't have the money to buy a honda.............

5th more than likely the only reason they went after the predator and raptor is becuase they got a bigger engine? and go faster stock and they might not of had a honda dealer close buy :D

:ermm: i dunno why people are dissing 400ex in their own furom? :confused: whats up with that i lov emy 05 400ex even tho i've rode it hard its still fun and i put almost all my money into riding since i got it :D :ermm:

and i ain't trying to dissing ne one jus stating facts i hope correct me if i have posted wrong?

hondajoe05
10-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
well, the S 2000 Scorpion Peacekeeper tank built by Repaircraft PLC got to 51.1 MPH with the help of a RS 2133 engine. :)

oh ya 6th i dunno who would now something like that off the top of their head :confused:

and my question is why does kaw/suk/art all make 400's ? so they can find some people that are not smart enough to figure out that their all the same engines and why would they need to advertise from three different brand if they were SUCH good bikes???? :eek: :ermm:

Unverfehrt400ex
10-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Ive ridin all the 4 wheeler and the ex suits me the best, buts thats not what the test is on. its on the best performer and a Z can outperform an ex any day. The pro races show it. If the ex should be ontop how come they dont race them. At our local track these still a few peopel that race their ex and they have to be pretty good riders to run up ther with a Z. I love the honda but performance wise the LTZ KFX or DVX is stil a faster machine

WVdude
10-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Well.....
I too own an ex, and mine is not stock so when I have raced z400s and kfxs I have to keep in mind that though I DO beat them ...I know who has the better performer out of the box. And as far as potential goes for building a racer, that is determined by the size of the wallet of the owner.
the ex is a wonderful bike, but outdated. i LOVE mine...wouldnt let it go for the world. but it IS outdated

Brad

TRX400-06
10-23-2005, 06:17 PM
I would have to say that the z/k/ac is the better performer and a little better on technology. I love my 06 EX. I wish they would have put better tires on. All the others feel like they sit too high for me. I like the lowness and the looks of mine. Others can beat me but I enjoy riding the honda alot more then riding any other bike. The tires are my only complaint. And doesa any one have rear tires for sale? I would like the dunlops that came on the 450r's.

400exbiggun
10-23-2005, 06:50 PM
I have had my fair share of quads from a 87 lt80, to a 00 blaster, 97 blaster, 97 warrior, 99 400ex, 87 tecate 4, numerous bikes, and ride a 03 z400 when ever my friend comes over. I could pretty much get whatever quad i wanted now. I love dirtbikes, but when im on a quad i want it to feel like a quad. To me the z400 feels like a dirtbike with 2 extra wheels. My old ex felt like it was fat and low. Possibly becasue the wider seat. The z400 tank gets skinny, as well as the seat right near the middle where you sit. It remonds me of a bike and makes it seem like its skinnier and taller than it really is. Thats why i chose to build a project 400ex and nothing else from scratch. And still to this point the only quad thus far i will get rid of it for will be a 450r.

quadman 05400ex
10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
i dont think i would chose a differnt quad i love my new 400ex 05
but i problly would get the new 450r

coryatver
10-23-2005, 11:33 PM
I am not impressed with the z400 at all. They don't handle near as well as a 400ex. They feel much taller. And they may be faster wide open down the road but where i want the power is down low where the 400ex shines! I rode a z and they don't have any low end. They may be newer and shinier and all hyped up but that doesn't mean they are better.

quadman 05400ex
10-24-2005, 06:26 PM
ya my 05 ex beat my buds o5 z and mine has hds and skid plates all around i was like a 60 yd dash and i killd him

2_stroke_me03
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
my buddy has an 05 and its an awsome trail bike.all he has done is put a slip on on it and it runs good,ive seen him beat piped kx400 20 times in a row.plus they are the best lookin 400 now

brent250
03-22-2006, 02:09 PM
true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
i love my old 400ex, and when i was up against similarly modified 'suki's and the clones, i was even with them...rider skill was the only deciding factor...everyone makes it seem like there is sooooooooooooooooo much difference between the 2. they are closer than everyone lets on, it is just the 'zuki fans do not want to admit that the older, slightly smaller quad is just as good.

before i bought the 400, i test rode the 2nd z that my dealer had bought. it felt more like the 300ex i was wanting to upgrade from. i had been on a 400ex a few times and knew it handled better and felt better than my 300.

and my 06 450r feels better than both
:D

ogre
03-23-2006, 09:48 AM
When the z came out didn't they use the ex as a model? i mean if they didnt even have anything to compete with it for 3 or 4 years they ought to be able to come out with somehting better in that amount of time

bmurray
03-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I read a test in one of the mags and the EX claimed dry weight was a bit more, but actuall tested less wet., with same size tanks.

indyZrider
03-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by nosliw

maybe you should put the RS 2133 in your ex to help it along:blah: