PDA

View Full Version : What are good cheap cars?

300exPat
01-01-2005, 05:48 PM
hey im turning 16 jan 6th and i really need to start thinking about cars, chances are im not getting any nice muscle car so i was wondering what are good, cheap cars with alot of potential?

the car im starting out with is a old 85 bmw and once i turn 17 maybe 18 i want to sell it and buy another, so anyones opinions would be great

thanks, pat

alimdar2times
01-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Potential for what? Are you more interested in looks or performance? When I was younger, I was HEAVILY into mustangs. They're becoming more and more affordable, especially with the '05 body style being introduced. The older Fox - chassis 'stangs are plentiful, easy to work on, the 302 V8 is essentially bulletproof, and they respond well to mods. The key to any of this is to have a plan - know where you want to end up BEFORE you buy a car, and then plan your mods accordingly and sensibly.

300exPat
01-01-2005, 06:56 PM
yeah ive loved mustangs since as long as i can remember, same with corvettes but i dunno if ill be able to save up 20k for a mustang by the time im 18

BlazingYamahaYz
01-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Depends on what kind of cheap car you are looking for. Cheapest high performace? Or just something that will be cheap and last a long time. If its the long lasting car you are looking for, Honda has a great reputation for engine life and high mileage.

Butters
01-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by BlazingYamahaYz
Depends on what kind of cheap car you are looking for. Cheapest high performace? Or just something that will be cheap and last a long time. If its the long lasting car you are looking for, Honda has a great reputation for engine life and high mileage.

bulkdriverlp
01-02-2005, 05:14 AM
get an elcamino this way you can put big v-8 in it and have good horsepower and haul ur quad too. i think ,87 was the last year for gm, not sure

wyndzer
01-02-2005, 07:17 AM
If you like Jeep Cherokees, you can find a 90-95 in good shape for around $2000-$3000. They still look the same as when they quit making them and the 4.0 is usually a dependable power plant.

Syrus
01-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Yeah mustangs are an amazing car. Got a few myself. But you gotta remember.. "do u have the money to fill it up with gas everyday". At 16 its gonna be hard, gas prices are up and high. Id advise you to get a smaller fuel efficient car for now, till u have the money for something better.

They're not the best, but Pontiac Sunfires are a decent car to buy when ur 16, they are great of gas, and they are popular, so the parts are cheap for them. And it can be your beater till u get something better. Just my 2 cents

01-02-2005, 01:02 PM
You can put a fullsize quad in the back of an el camino???

balls2da-wall
01-02-2005, 01:19 PM
1993 Mazda Miata!

Its a convertable...it's light...it's rear wheel drive and the engine is tough as nails and can be boosted with a garrnett turbo to 12psi on stock piston and rods. Basically you buy the car for $3,000 and put the flyin' miata FMII turbo kit on it and can be running 12's in the quarter. Also if you ever want to do auto cross the miata is the perfect car since it is well known for it;s handling.

-by the way...the flyin' miata kit is a WHOLE kit...not just turbo and pipes...its has everything from the ECU to the intercooler to injectors and electronic boost controller.

screw mustangs...you can put V6 Mustangs to shame with just a stock miata...and after the turbo kit you can start putting the GT's to shame.

and it's cheap to fill up...as long as your not flying everywhere you go...if you drive normal without boosting the gas milage is excellent...as soon as you mash the gas its going to start guzzling!

check it out www.flyinmiata.com

AZblaster44
01-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Atkins450
You can put a fullsize quad in the back of an el camino???

Yes the beds are quite roomy, the sides are a little short tho:)

RH1N08d9
01-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 300exPat
yeah ive loved mustangs since as long as i can remember, same with corvettes but i dunno if ill be able to save up 20k for a mustang by the time im 18

unless your dead-set on getting an almost new mustand, you can get alot of them for well under 10k. last year, my mom bought a 2000 mustang, v6 fully loaded, for 6500 from a dealer. my cousing bought a 92 mustang with a 5.0 for 7 grand I believe. I don't know much about the 5.0's vs. the newer v8's in mustangs, but I'd think the 5.0 could smoke a newer mustang witha v8?

Scott-300ex
01-03-2005, 11:20 AM
I got the mustang thats in my sig and im 17, i can afford it, but i've saved my money my whole life

just get what you absolutley want and do some searchin, thats how i got my car

EPDP99
01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
a 5.0 for 7 grand better have a ton of mods on it. if it doesnt somebody is getting ripped off. I have a 88 lx 5.0 and a 90 gt 5.0 and both were 3500.....and whoever said bulletproof motor is true. Ive ran my 88 soooo hard and shes still running strong.

BlazingYamahaYz
01-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I forgot to add, it really depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Are you going to need to haul a quad around? Moving furniture, etc? Just going from point A to point B...want to have some fun between there?