PDA

View Full Version : Is my quad supposed to do this?

hondardr4life
01-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I just recently installed my 330 kit, and whenever I start it, it smokes real bad when you give it gas. It stops when you get it warm. Now, my grandpa says that it is just gas leaking into the intake and mixing with oil (I really dont understand what that means, because i dont think theres any oil to mix with). So, I need some help, what is wrong or is this just normal for a non broken in big bore??

beerock
01-01-2005, 05:34 PM
sounds like your getting blow by. if the kit is new it could be because the rings havent seated and it should go away once you break in the motor. how many tanks have you run through the new motor

4StrokinJay
01-01-2005, 05:45 PM
leaking valve seals...

hondardr4life
01-01-2005, 07:29 PM
But the seals are brand new. I have only ran about 1/2 a tank of gas through it so far...............

beerock
01-01-2005, 08:17 PM
thats what i figured too, so it could be that its not broken in yet. You may be burning break in oil used to assemble the motor.

You could possibly have a bad new seal(it happens) I would think its the motor being new and not the seal. I would run about 2-3 tanks of gas through it before you start taking the motor apart.

I dont know if you know that there is a certain procedure to break in the motor correctly. if you didnt do this and you went nuts on the first start you may have glazed the cylinder walls and it isnt broken in properly. It would have to be honed again and new rings installed to fix it.This is as long as the piston to wall clearance is still in spec after the hone.

so, did you run the motor all out right when you got it warmed up?:ermm:

hondardr4life
01-01-2005, 08:23 PM
No i did not go like crazy on my first ride. But yes it does run perfect when it gets warm, heck it runs perfect cold. But it did not do this whne I first started it. I took it for a ride and then left it run a little to cool down, and then i shut it off and it started doing this today.

beerock
01-01-2005, 08:53 PM
ok try a break in procdure then so you can seat the rings properly.

Usually you should do 3 heat up and cool down cycles then ride it and roll the throttle on and off for about 15 minutes without going past half throttle. Let it cool down completely and do the same thing for the whole tank, near 1/4 tank start going to 3/4 throttle. next tank ride it for 15 minutes and roll the throttle on and off but go to 3/4 throttle. when you get to 1/4 tank start rolling the throttle to wide open. It should be broken in at this oint and you shouldnt have any mroe smoke. if it does go through 2-3 tanks if it still smokes then it might be time to look into the motor.

hondardr4life
01-01-2005, 09:51 PM
If it was something in the motor, then it would smoke all the time, not just when I start it. Right?

beerock
01-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
If it was something in the motor, then it would smoke all the time, not just when I start it. Right?

yes thats why i think it isnt broken in yet

dork
01-01-2005, 11:57 PM
how much are you revving it when you first start it? you really shouldn't rev it anymore than necessary to keep it running. your carb has an accelerator pump that sprays extra fuel into the intake, and when the motor is cold it doesn't atomize the extra fuel very well and the raw gas can wash down the cylinder walls causing it to smoke. this is even more pronounced when the motor is cold and clearances are still large.

also, riding it too easy on break in will cause glazing, not running it too hard. in fact you're better running it hard, and using full throttle. just remember to warm it up fully before riding, and do the cool down cycles.

hondardr4life
01-02-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't rev it much past 1/2 throttle at all. When I first start it, I do only rev it high enough to keep it running. I don't think its anything major, bu tmy grandpa said to try a lower jet size, but I dont think it will make a difference. Anyone with a 330, what size pilot jet are you running? I have the stock one with a 148 main.

Aceman
01-02-2005, 09:25 AM
I was given a 40 PJ with my 330 kit. Even then I still have to pump the gas 2-3 times with the choke to start it. When it was stock I used to be able to just hit the starter and it would start without pumping the gas or choking it. So, I think I'm going to try going up to a 42 PJ and see if that helps any.

khen
01-02-2005, 10:38 AM
After I put in my 416 kit it smoked when cold on startup as well. I've since ran 3-4 tanks through it and it no longer smokes. I agree with beerock, it's most likely because your rings aren't fully seated yet.

beerock
01-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by dork
how much are you revving it when you first start it? you really shouldn't rev it anymore than necessary to keep it running. your carb has an accelerator pump that sprays extra fuel into the intake, and when the motor is cold it doesn't atomize the extra fuel very well and the raw gas can wash down the cylinder walls causing it to smoke. this is even more pronounced when the motor is cold and clearances are still large.

also, riding it too easy on break in will cause glazing, not running it too hard. in fact you're better running it hard, and using full throttle. just remember to warm it up fully before riding, and do the cool down cycles.

if it was excess fuel then it would do it when its warm too.

edit:

I just saw your post aceman, you dont need a bigger carb you need to play with the air screw and perhaps change your pilot jet .

I would say to check your airscrew, count how many times you have to turn it in then turn it back out to where it was. STart the motor and then you will want to turn the airscrew in or out to get the rpms of the motor to go higher after a certain pnt the rpms will fall down as you turn it out thats where you want to set the air screw. then shut it off and try starting it again, it should start easier if it doesnt then youll have to change your pilot jet

hondardr4life
01-02-2005, 11:50 AM
It already starts up really easy. You pu ton the choke and hit the starter button, and it fires right up. Then I leave the choke on for about 10 seconds and then the rpm's start to die so I turn the choke off an dit will sit there and idle all day.

beerock
01-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
It already starts up really easy. You pu ton the choke and hit the starter button, and it fires right up. Then I leave the choke on for about 10 seconds and then the rpm's start to die so I turn the choke off an dit will sit there and idle all day.

i was just helpin aceman out bro;)

hondardr4life
01-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Ya, that swhat I figured, but I just was makin sure:D

Aceman
01-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by beerock
if it was excess fuel then it would do it when its warm too.

edit:

I just saw your post aceman, you dont need a bigger carb you need to play with the air screw and perhaps change your pilot jet .

I would say to check your airscrew, count how many times you have to turn it in then turn it back out to where it was. STart the motor and then you will want to turn the airscrew in or out to get the rpms of the motor to go higher after a certain pnt the rpms will fall down as you turn it out thats where you want to set the air screw. then shut it off and try starting it again, it should start easier if it doesnt then youll have to change your pilot jet

Thanks for the tip Beerock:) I was referring to a pilot jet-PJ not a Power Jet carb. That's why I said I was going to try 42 pilot jet instead of my 40 pilot jet.

miken
01-05-2005, 01:18 PM
I would agree, break in issue.

Interesting break-in procedure link. The experts over at ThumperTalk swear by this.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Mike -