PDA

View Full Version : Motor work completed quicker in summer or winter?

Ben
04-24-2002, 03:20 PM
I want to get a 426/425 kit for my 400. Can anyone tell me what time of year is the quickest turnaround? Also, how long can I expect such work to take place if I do everything I can and only send the shop the necessary parts.

PsychoDave
04-24-2002, 03:45 PM
TURN AROUND TO HAVE YOUR CYLINDER BORED AND HONED SHOULD BE LESS THAN 2 WEEKS. (MINE WAS DONE IN A FEW DAYS)

04-24-2002, 03:47 PM
As close as you are to Lancaster, OH. I would check them out. I was going to let them do my engine but 2 months is a long time to be without a quad this time of year. In my opinion any engine builder would do a better job in the winter months, because they are not a busy and not so much pressure to be completed. I checked out the site, they install a 416 kit for 595.00, I have been to their shop and met Scott. He seemed like a smart guy on that stuff. All I can say is I know of 7 quads with engines from this place that are used to play race and trail ride, that have not encountered problems yet. the site is www.profabatv.com

DEAL
04-24-2002, 03:56 PM
I think it would be quicker in the summer because all the motor builders aren't as swamped then with people wanting their motors done. 90% of people do their rebuilds in the winter.

Leo
04-24-2002, 04:13 PM
If all you want done is to have the cylinder bored out and you plan on taking it apart yourself, any local automotive machine shop should be able to do it for you in 1-2 days for very little $$, just make sure to bring the piston you plan to use (so they can correctly set the clearances) and the rings (so they can gap 'em for you)..

If you were planning on sending your entire motor out, the I wouldn't offer a guess.. Best bet would be to call a few folks and as about their turnaround times..

Leo

JustRace
04-24-2002, 06:46 PM
When I had my motor done i was told 6-8 weeks and it took 6 weeks. This was done in the winter and they said during the summer it would have gotten done faster but they had the added motor work for snowmobiles during the winter.