View Full Version : Cobalt

Butters
01-01-2005, 01:00 PM
does anybody know anything about this car?? i was looking at the website and saw it. i was just wondering if anybody has seen one or knows anything about them.

FasstMidnightZ
01-01-2005, 01:03 PM
never heard of it whats the webstie ?

2002400ex
01-01-2005, 01:06 PM
I think the coupe is supercharged

MXEDUP337
01-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I aint heard much but they got some crazy commercials.

300ex_rider1121
01-01-2005, 01:36 PM
there actually pretty nice chevy made them to replace the cavelier or some car like that

bansheeguy77
01-01-2005, 01:37 PM
yeah they replaced the cavalier

BlazingYamahaYz
01-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 2002400ex
I think the coupe is supercharged

I remember reading an article on it, and have seen some pictures of it before the commercial. Looks like they removed a few things or maybe it was a different sub-model. I did read that the option to be supercharged will be available. Looks like Chevy is trying to keep up with the coupe/4 door high performance market. (Like the Evo, STI, SRT-4, etc)

Butters
01-01-2005, 04:46 PM
i just read some things about it on the chevy website. they say it will be can have the option of be supercharged. i think it looks alot better than the cavelier. i didn't notice til you guys said something that there wasn't a cavalier anymore.

Guy400
01-01-2005, 05:48 PM
My father-in-law works in the Lordstown, OH GM plant where the Cobalt is made. There is an SS-version of the car that is supercharged. It's actually a pretty nice car with much better quality than its predecessor, the Cavalier. Also, check out the newest Car and Driver with the new Z06 and Chrysler Firepower! on the cover, there's an article about the S/C Cobalt in there.

DEAL
01-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by BlazingYamahaYz
I remember reading an article on it, and have seen some pictures of it before the commercial. Looks like they removed a few things or maybe it was a different sub-model. I did read that the option to be supercharged will be available. Looks like Chevy is trying to keep up with the coupe/4 door high performance market. (Like the Evo, STI, SRT-4, etc)

Its 205hp ... I don't know how it would stand up against the Sti,Evo and Srt.

bansheeguy77
01-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Its 205hp ... I don't know how it would stand up against the Sti,Evo and Srt.

i dont think the srt stands up to the evo and sti :blah: they are in a whole nother class above the srt and cobalt ss

Butters
01-01-2005, 08:37 PM
is the cobalt going to be better made than the cavelier?? cause it seemed that they were always kinda cheap.

DEAL
01-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
i dont think the srt stands up to the evo and sti :blah: they are in a whole nother class above the srt and cobalt ss

The Sti is a pretty sick car.
I think the cobalt might be better matched with just the Srt or maybe even the RSX.

bansheeguy77
01-01-2005, 09:33 PM
The Sti is a pretty sick car.
I think the cobalt might be better matched with just the Srt or maybe even the RSX.

yeah thats what they are aiming for i think. it will probably be close to a gti. i drove an sti once and it was the best time ive ever had behind the wheel. kind of like riding a banshee for the first time

Butters
01-01-2005, 09:56 PM
yeah thats what they are aiming for i think. it will probably be close to a gti. i drove an sti once and it was the best time ive ever had behind the wheel. kind of like riding a banshee for the first time

yeah they are awesome cars

bulkdriverlp
01-02-2005, 05:19 AM
the big 3 always has their "throw away cars" that just about anybody can get financed for, so this is it. just like the ford focus and dodge neon.

Guy400
01-02-2005, 05:27 AM
The Cobalt is built much better than the Cavalier. It handles much better, is quieter, has more power, is more refined...you get the picture. Also, the car is being assembled on a new line. Although it's built at the same plant where the Cavalier used to be built there was a multi-million dollar renovation project and a completely new assembly line was built. Where the Cavalier's door hoop and quarter panel were seperate and had to be welded together, the Cobalt now comes as one piece. Basically, from the front door hinges to the taillights, it's stamped out of one piece of steel. GM is also using "quiet steel" in different parts of the car. Overall, the Cobalt is finally an entry-level car for GM that can rival the imports.

DEAL
01-02-2005, 07:50 AM

Aren't the GTI's 1.8 turbos?
If it is I've driven many A4s which use pretty much the same engine.
They are quick .. but not quick enough.

bansheeguy77
01-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Aren't the GTI's 1.8 turbos?
If it is I've driven many A4s which use pretty much the same engine.
They are quick .. but not quick enough.

yeah the gti comes with the 1.8t motor which makes 180 hp i believe. or the vr6 which makes 210. i have driven both and they both are very fun and fun as hell to drive. the vr6 is a tick faster and clocks 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. and at 205 hp for the ss thats around where im guessing the cobalt will stand.

DEAL
01-02-2005, 10:29 AM
yeah the gti comes with the 1.8t motor which makes 180 hp i believe. or the vr6 which makes 210. i have driven both and they both are very fun and fun as hell to drive. the vr6 is a tick faster and clocks 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. and at 205 hp for the ss thats around where im guessing the cobalt will stand.

I liked the motor quite a bit in the a4 .. I guess I should take into consideration that the GTI is probably alot lighter, the shifting in most german cars is very smooth and they have little to no turbo lag which I like alot as well.
The regular WRX is probably a closer match too, and the 05 legacy Gts.

xsr_racing28c
01-02-2005, 04:40 PM
The Cobalt will have the 2.2L powerplant with the an eaton supercharger... it is the same motor and supercharger setup that is being used in the Saturn Redline... i believe that the redline runs a 0-60 at about 6.2 secs, which is damn slow in coparison to the Sti , EVO or SRT 4... but it would be very simliar to the 1.8t of VW...

One of my really good friends has an EVO, and that is one hell of a car.. i race it for him at the track and on the street, ( i can shift faster than him, so he makes me beat the **** out of his car).. But this car will def blow away the Cobalt... Driving down the road once i came upon an 03 cavey with an Eaton supercharger..( 2.2L), and he was running 10 psi, vs the 4 or 5 that the cobalt will be running, and this guy had no chance cuz the car couldn't get traction...

My opinion is that this car will be just as pointless as the srt-4 in that they get no traction, and look just like the base model with a cheap body kit..

Guy400
01-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
vs the 4 or 5 that the cobalt will be runningThe Cobalt SS runs 12psi and it uses the 2.0 liter engine.

crday98
01-03-2005, 05:50 AM
and he was running 10 psi, vs the 4 or 5 that the cobalt will be running, and this guy had no chance cuz the car couldn't get traction...

My opinion is that this car will be just as pointless as the srt-4 in that they get no traction, and look just like the base model with a cheap body kit..
this sounds like pretty dumb statement.... no it is a dumb *** statement. you are bashing the entire car because a cavalier you raced had traction issues? do you know what tires the cavalier had on it and if the cobalt will have the same tires?what kind of tires did your buddy's car have on it? i'm sure it didn't come with the crappy goodyears they used for the cavalier. in the cobalt's stock form,it was not intended to be used for drag racing. if you plan to use it for that(why is beyond me) a simple tire swap would eliminate any traction issues that might arise.
my friends 01 trans am ws6 couldn't break out of the 13's with the stock tires because of traction issues when he went to goof around at the track one day. his low time was because he spun 1/2 way up the 1/4 mi.(traction issues). does this make his car useless and a pile of crap?
the next week his et streets came in and he ran 11.6;) still useless???

DEAL
01-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by crday98
this sounds like pretty dumb statement.... no it is a dumb *** statement. you are bashing the entire car because a cavalier you raced had traction issues? do you know what tires the cavalier had on it and if the cobalt will have the same tires?what kind of tires did your buddy's car have on it? i'm sure it didn't come with the crappy goodyears they used for the cavalier. in the cobalt's stock form,it was not intended to be used for drag racing. if you plan to use it for that(why is beyond me) a simple tire swap would eliminate any traction issues that might arise.
my friends 01 trans am ws6 couldn't break out of the 13's with the stock tires because of traction issues when he went to goof around at the track one day. his low time was because he spun 1/2 way up the 1/4 mi.(traction issues). does this make his car useless and a pile of crap?
the next week his et streets came in and he ran 11.6;) still useless???

Heres why there are traction issues
Cavi & srt = front wheel drive.
Evo & Sti = all wheel drive.

crday98
01-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Heres why there are traction issues
Cavi & srt = front wheel drive.
Evo & Sti = all wheel drive.
good point but it still doesn't mean that there is nothing you can do to eliminate traction issues.

DEAL
01-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by crday98
good point but it still doesn't mean that there is nothing you can do to eliminate traction issues.

yes, there are things you can do to hELP traction .. but it will never work as well as the all wheel drive rally type cars handling wise.

crday98
01-03-2005, 10:16 AM
yes, there are things you can do to hELP traction .. but it will never work as well as the all wheel drive rally type cars handling wise. that is a no-brainer:D
i think you are overlooking the point i was trying to make. is was that this kid was bashing the cobalt because a cavalier he raced had traction issues.also,for basically stating that the car was completely worthless and acting as if there was nothing you could do to eliminate such issues. will either car hook as good as the wrx sti or the evo? absolutely not but it doesn't mean the other cars are crap and they'll never get traction.
let me give you another example.
both a slightly modded sti and most bone stock 02 trans ams will run mid 13's in the 1/4. the sti should almost always pull a better 60' than the t/a and yet produce an equal if not better e/t. does this mean the t/a is worthless and crap because the traction isn't as good as the sti? then throw a set of e/t streets on the ta and watch it run say an average of .5 better than the sti. now what one would be crap?

JLanphear
01-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I prefer Chevy but I'd deff. pick the SRT-4 over that stupid Cobalt thing.....bleh.....sorry for my opinion.

Ps....I'd probably own the SRT-4 right now if it wasn't still a Neon.

:o

Guy400
01-03-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure where the misconception has come about that Chevy built this thing to compete with an STi or EVO. You're talking about a $22,000 FWD vs. $35,000 AWD. Not to mention 205hp vs. 300+ hp.

Butters
01-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
I'm not sure where the misconception has come about that Chevy built this thing to compete with an STi or EVO. You're talking about a $22,000 FWD vs. $35,000 AWD. Not to mention 205hp vs. 300+ hp.

hell i was just talking about the base model. i'm poor. :D

bansheeguy77
01-03-2005, 09:20 PM

u mean 300hp exactly for a base sti and 276 for an evo:blah: and ur prices are too high they are 33k. (yes i know im just nit picking)

Butters
01-03-2005, 09:26 PM
u mean 300hp exactly for a base sti and 276 for an evo:blah: and ur prices are too high they are 33k. (yes i know im just nit picking)

well his prices aren't to high depending on what you get with it. but to be exact the base cheapest model of the Impreza WRK STi is $32,870

xsr_racing28c
01-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Crday98,
First of all, the reason that the cobalt in my mind is a waste is purely due to the fact that the car IS supercharged and still front wheel drive, which equals tooooo much power for a FWD car...so why make it!!! Obviously Chevy is trying to compete with the srt, but in no way shape or form will it ever out run one...

So yur sayin that the Cobalt is not made to run the 1/4 mile..ok... so what is it made to do?? hmm...FWD!!! They arn't made to rally, they arn't made for a street course( too much front end push), so what are they for?? NOTHING!!!! they are worthless right??? my point exactly.!!! and the thing about running different tires, they arn't a world of difference like you are saying, offcourse on a RWD car they will make a little bit of different on the track, but unless you are runnin drag radials on a FWD car, they won't give any real noticeable traction...put it this way...A stock EVO comes with Yokohama Advans, right? well my buddy swaped them out right away for some Toyo Proxes , a much more well rounded tire, and i can still get the AWD car to spin tires in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th on dry pavement... but without a doubt, an awd car is much more practical unless you stick $5000 in suspension in a FWD car..

Butters
01-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Crday98,
First of all, the reason that the cobalt in my mind is a waste is purely due to the fact that the car IS supercharged and still front wheel drive, which equals tooooo much power for a FWD car...so why make it!!! Obviously Chevy is trying to compete with the srt, but in no way shape or form will it ever out run one...

So yur sayin that the Cobalt is not made to run the 1/4 mile..ok... so what is it made to do?? hmm...FWD!!! They arn't made to rally, they arn't made for a street course( too much front end push), so what are they for?? NOTHING!!!! they are worthless right??? my point exactly.!!! and the thing about running different tires, they arn't a world of difference like you are saying, offcourse on a RWD car they will make a little bit of different on the track, but unless you are runnin drag radials on a FWD car, they won't give any real noticeable traction...put it this way...A stock EVO comes with Yokohama Advans, right? well my buddy swaped them out right away for some Toyo Proxes , a much more well rounded tire, and i can still get the AWD car to spin tires in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th on dry pavement... but without a doubt, an awd car is much more practical unless you stick $5000 in suspension in a FWD car..

the car isn't worthless. it would be great as a daily driver..............kinda like why i was asking about..............and the reason we were having this whole discussion.

crday98
01-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Crday98,

so basically what you are saying is that every supercharged fwd car is a waste and that chevy only produced the cobalt to compete with the srt???? no offence kid but you have alot to learn;)
one thing you are correct about is that an awd car is more practical than a fwd car but if you look at the price of an sti compared to a cobalt,there is a $10k price differecnce.
did gm ever advertise this car by trying to put it in a class with the evo or the sti? you are only taking what people's opinions of why they produced this car earlier in this thread and trying to convert them into fact. is the car going to be a waste compared to the others in its class or is it just a waste because it's not in the class of the sti or evo?hell, we could go up the list and call the sti worthless because it doesn't compare to the vett and call the vette worthless because it isn't in the same class as the ferrari and so on:rolleyes:

bansheeguy77
01-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Butters
well his prices aren't to high depending on what you get with it. but to be exact the base cheapest model of the Impreza WRK STi is $32,870

haha i know i was just being an idiot :p

JLanphear
01-04-2005, 07:24 AM

I think you are right, you cannot fairly compare it to an STi or EVO.....same goes for the Neon, you can't compare that to the sti or evo either. However, just the fact that people do compare it to cars over $10,000 more is a pretty good compliment in my opinion.

I do however still Dislike the Cobalt and would pick the Neon over it Hands down.....This year at least.

Like I said before though.....the only thing keeping me from buying the Neon right now is that it is still a Neon. If it was a totally different car with those performance #'s, I bet I'd be driving one as we speak.....I just can't get past it being a Neon....I know, that's dumb.

-Josh

bansheeguy77
01-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
I think you are right, you cannot fairly compare it to an STi or EVO.....same goes for the Neon, you can't compare that to the sti or evo either. However, just the fact that people do compare it to cars over $10,000 more is a pretty good compliment in my opinion.

I do however still Dislike the Cobalt and would pick the Neon over it Hands down.....This year at least.

Like I said before though.....the only thing keeping me from buying the Neon right now is that it is still a Neon. If it was a totally different car with those performance #'s, I bet I'd be driving one as we speak.....I just can't get past it being a Neon....I know, that's dumb.

-Josh

thats what i hear a lot of people say too. i have never driven an srt or neon but most say the power is great. but it still feels like a neon. so they shy away.

bulkdriverlp
01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
i prefer the 4.6 v8 and the 2,500 lb overload springs on the back of my f-150 so when little cars like the cobalt follow too close they can have reese hitch sandwich.lol

DEAL
01-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
i prefer the 4.6 v8 and the 2,500 lb overload springs on the back of my f-150 so when little cars like the cobalt follow too close they can have reese hitch sandwich.lol

Good luck tryin to catch up to one.

Rastus
01-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Good luck tryin to catch up to one.

No.., he's talking about giving the close following car a Brake check.

I agree with him.., there is nothing more annoying than someone that gets right on your tail when your already doing 5 MPH over. :mad:

Just so everyone knows.., GM isn't making the Cobalt to be the fastest car ever or to win races. They're catering to the lower price bracket with a car that handles nice, has good power options, looks nice, and is affordable.

Butters
01-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Rastus
No.., he's talking about giving the close following car a Brake check.

I agree with him.., there is nothing more annoying than someone that gets right on your tail when your already doing 5 MPH over. :mad:

Just so everyone knows.., GM isn't making the Cobalt to be the fastest car ever or to win races. They're catering to the lower price bracket with a car that handles nice, has good power options, looks nice, and is affordable.

yeah well thats why i originally posted this subjet was to find out about it as a low priced car, not about racing it.

bansheeguy77
01-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Butters
yeah well thats why i originally posted this subjet was to find out about it as a low priced car, not about racing it.

lol see what u started.

and i agree on the ppl tailgating. when they do i purposely go 5 mph under and brake going up hills. even tho i usually ride pretty close :eek2:

Butters
01-04-2005, 10:08 PM
lol see what u started.

and i agree on the ppl tailgating. when they do i purposely go 5 mph under and brake going up hills. even tho i usually ride pretty close :eek2:

oh well it gives people something to argue about. could be worse.:)