PDA

View Full Version : gound clearance w/ suspension compressed

maskale
01-01-2005, 12:05 PM
I had stock suspension on my 400ex with 20" tires and on big jumps my frame would hit the ground between the a-arms before the shocks would bottom out. I just got my Roll +3 with Elka LT and now my shocks go all the way to the shaft bumper and my frame is still 2" or 3" off the ground, I know the rubber bumper on the shock will give alittle, but I dont think enough for the frame to go to the ground. It seems to me that you would want the frame to hit just before the shock runs out of travel so that you are not putting all that stress on the shocks. Is something wrong with my setup or are the shocks made to bottom out, before the frame hits the ground.

Also just another jetting question, sorry

I have a 440 with a cam, K@N no lid and a Sparks X6, It runs ok but could do better, what jets should I be running. I am in Houston Tx. about 45 miles from the cost so the elevation should not be very much.

Thanks.

gsxr68
01-01-2005, 11:31 PM
wondering the same thing, come on some info please

powerstroke
01-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I dont know what to tell you on the front end. I am a xc racer so i dont know much about mx front ends. I do know you dont want your frame rails hitting the ground though. On the jetting, what jets are you running currently? what are the symptoms you are experiencing that lead you to believe you are jetted incorrectly? Its been a few years since i ran a 440ex so its a little foggy but i believe i was running somewhere in the neighborhood of a 45 pilot and a 170 main. It was a heavily ported 440, cam, stock filter and no lid. I am in illinois. On your main just keep increasing your main jet one size at a time until it "blubbers" on the top end. then drop back one jet. thats about the best way i know of to dial in a main jet and it has always left my bikes spot on. the pilot can be a little more difficult to get right. there are many methods to dial in your pilot. I have done enough jetting that I can kinda "feel" when its lean or rich on the pilot through a combination of how it acts when it starts, how it responds to a stab of the throttle while idling and riding it . good luck. Matt