PDA

View Full Version : Rumored six figure salary with Yamaha!

RIDER11X
01-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Saw in the new Dirt Wheels, that Bill Ballance just signed a two year deal with Yamaha for a rumored 6 figure salary! :eek2: :eek2:

Cograts to Bill! I wonder if he will be pitting out of the big semi trailer like Hawk does with the bikes? Yamaha really stepped it up! Wonder if Honda will follow with someone like Chis Borich?:cool:

44oEX
01-01-2005, 12:04 PM
well 6 figure is not all that much I think Gust is making like 2 million but I could be wrong

z400ACDC
01-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
well 6 figure is not all that much I think Gust is making like 2 million but I could be wrong
You are very wrong!

Johnson
01-01-2005, 12:43 PM
I would ride for six figure offer.

01-01-2005, 12:55 PM
6 figures is alot of money and a HUGE step but im pretty sure Farr is making 1mil, and Gust is making 2.5mil.

Hondadudeehhhh
01-01-2005, 01:14 PM
thats sweet, but it still sucks that some of us are in negative 6 figures because of riding :ermm: lol but its all worth it

44oEX
01-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450
6 figures is alot of money and a HUGE step but im pretty sure Farr is making 1mil, and Gust is making 2.5mil.

Originally posted by z400ACDC
You are very wrong!

I guess I am not that much very wrong. get you facts straight.:mad:

Johnny & Monica
01-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450

THATS WHAT I HEARD ALSO......

joedirt
01-01-2005, 06:33 PM
It's pretty hard for a factory bike guy to pull 1+ mil in there contract I'm talking base salary no bonuses. I think it is very possible for a factory quad guy to pull six digits but not a mil+ with bonuses. 6 digits yes 7 digits no.

z400ACDC
01-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I know Jeremiah and Bill and their deals are no where near 1 million. It should be! The factories make most of their money on ATV'S and do't give enough back to our sport. Joedirt is getting warm!

captain mike
01-01-2005, 09:07 PM
i don't think bill will be pitting out of the semi, some races it doesn't show up till saturday, plus bill is riding for factory yamaha, not AM-PRO yamaha. chad duvall is still the AM-PRO rider.

RIDER11X
01-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by captain mike
i don't think bill will be pitting out of the semi, some races it doesn't show up till saturday, plus bill is riding for factory yamaha, not AM-PRO yamaha. chad duvall is still the AM-PRO rider.

Oh I don't know about that.......:rolleyes: That nice new fat paycheck may be only one of many changes in the Ballance pits. I'm sure his family won't need to be wrenching for him anymore, as mechanics should be provided, as well as a large supply of spare stuff to make sure their #1 rider don't DNF for any reason they can prevent............Just my opinion:cool:

popo
01-02-2005, 01:29 AM
I think the best is to wait and see what Mr.Ballance brings to the table at Texas instead of the mis stated facts.

woodside83
01-02-2005, 08:14 AM
i do know for shure that farr and gust both got 1million last year i am shure that gust got more this year for winning all most every race this year

cliq20
01-02-2005, 11:24 AM
i can't see them making 7 figures. 6 maybe but not 7. yamaha's real money is not all in quads and bikes. they make tons of other stuff as well as all the other manufacturers. i can't see them shelling out that kind of dough for a rider.

RIDER11X
01-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Is this why YFZ's and 450r's are so expensive?:p

MJNOVA
01-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Pro quad riders and only the top few--Farr--Gust--Jones. Are capable of making 100K-200K range.... There are no million dollar contract out there. The rest 40K-125K if they are lucking between many sponsors. Gary Denton and others more then likely made similar money in 1987-----which given the time was alot of money. Hopefully we will see a change in the coming years,but we aren't there yet.

01-02-2005, 12:49 PM
My info on contract money is straight outta dirtwheels, but i never trust them either.....

Ferrari shells out 9 figures to their top driver.:p

markk
01-02-2005, 02:17 PM
mabey u guys saw that they are making like $25,000.00. I heard, (i just heard) that Kawi was hardly giving Pendland enuf money to make the races. I would rather just wait to hear it from the horses mouth, or the Comapany.

DW has alot of trash in there mags, along with some good information.

ckasper18
01-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I dont think they are making that much yet but hopefully with our sport growing like it is it wont be long till we hit the 7 digit mark.Kawi doent even have a quad race team anymore they dropped it a while back when suzuki bought them out

RIDER11X
01-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I wonder what Ballance and Yokely got paid to race the KX250 hybrid that Kawasaki built? Apparently it wasn't much, as they both went back to privateering not long after.....:eek:

smr
01-02-2005, 04:34 PM
It's amazing how rumors can fly about how much money a person makes racing quads....I've been around the sport since the 80's and very few people have made a good living racing quads. I heard the same rumors that Z400acdc heard most likely from the same people. J Jones and Bill Balance are not making anywhere near the amount of money some people think they are. You have to remember that most of our pros have second jobs.

seamonster
01-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Doug Gust is making enough money from Suzuki to hire someone else to run his excavating company....good for him...I hope Bill, William, Jeremiah, and everyone else makes big money racing...they r the best in their chosen profession and they should be compensated for it....

Dale512
01-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I've read a interview with Gary Denton that stated he made right around 100,000 a year when he raced for Suzuki back in the 80s.

smr
01-03-2005, 11:42 AM
you must remember we took steps backwards in teh 90's not forwards. I'm sure many of the pros would love to sign a $100,000 contract.

MJNOVA
01-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I agree!!!

01-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dale512
I've read a interview with Gary Denton that stated he made right around 100,000 a year when he raced for Suzuki back in the 80s.

But if you read that whole article it would have said his contract with suzuki was only like 40K the rest of the 100K came from other sponsors and winnings

smr
01-03-2005, 12:05 PM
When you figure in how much money he spent on racing and travel he really didn't make that much.

The quad pros don't get anywhere near what the bikes get.

Just ask Barry Hawk

Dale512
01-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Good Points

z400ACDC
01-03-2005, 01:21 PM
If a pro rider can make between 100,000-200,000 a year doing what they enjoy, that is not a bad job!:bandit:

MJNOVA
01-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I agree.... It just appeared that people thought it was much higher. I wish I had the skill, but since I don't I would like to see others get back some of the money many of us have put back into quad racing for years...

smr
01-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Z400ACDC is correct but I don't know of any of the pros making that much from one sponsor.

they put alot of the money they make back into the sport. (ask jjones who payed for his motorhome)

I am just saying it's a shame that our pros make less today than they did 14 years ago.

racerx573
01-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I heard Farr had a 1 million 4 or 5 year contract, but you gotta figure, Tim, Shane, and Doug were all making good money off sponsors before then. Farr drives a BMW...and that was before his Honda contract..

z400ACDC
01-03-2005, 03:40 PM
they put alot of the money they make back into the sport. (ask jjones who payed for his motorhome)

No motorhome yet, but he is looking.

Dale512
01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
It sounds to me that Suzuki isnt treating Jones quite as well as Gust from the way people are talking, or is it just my imagination at work again?

01-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
I heard Farr had a 1 million 4 or 5 year contract, but you gotta figure, Tim, Shane, and Doug were all making good money off sponsors before then. Farr drives a BMW...and that was before his Honda contract..

I think it is a safe bet most these guys had money to begin with. This sport is not cheap. I do not think anyone could run 12 races, across the country paying for parts, quads, equpment, gas, food, entry, if they did not have a nice nest egg to begin with.

Farr driving a BMW does not mean anything about his contracts with companies. Look at Doug Gusts house. It is very nice. He was an excavator before and is all ready well set I would assume. I would not dobut if Farr had money before racing. I do not know what Farr used to do but I think it is a safe bet to say he was not struggling.

No way anyone could run the complete series if they were not all ready well off IMO. Unless they are in very big debt.

This is just my opinion based on what I have come to understand about the sport. I could be wrong, if I am please set me straight.

44oEX
01-03-2005, 09:52 PM
well you are probably right but don't forget that there is also alot of money from sponsors for parts and equipement, gas... and what ever else. I know the sponsors don't pay for everything but if they build you a 20K+ quad and you say well I can't afford the entry fee they will probably give you the money. if you get my drift. cause they don't want to spend 20K on a quad and it sits in a garage cause you can't afford it. they will pay to see the quad raced.

RIDER11X
01-03-2005, 11:19 PM
I THINK I read somewhere that Farr was a Physical Therapist too.

And, I agree you don't get anywhere in this sport without money. To run just District Races for end of year standings, is incrediblty expensive when you figure in what you need to be competitive for one full season. Competing at the National level involves much more travel, and much better equipment. I saw guys with full race quads dominate at district races every week, having to work hard at Nationals to run in the top 5.

smr
01-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe there has ever been a million dollar contract with any of the pros. I don't know Tim Farr personally but I don't beleive he got that much. Like I said I do know what some of the pros got and it isn't anywhere near that.

Sandsjbyz22
01-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Tim Farr was a mechanical engineer for the Timken company, the same people that make the bearings. He was able to quit a few years ago to race full time before the honda contract.

chad duvall
01-04-2005, 11:32 AM
We congrats Bill on his Yamaha factory ride support and wish him well, Yamaha all around has been very good to our family in the way of Thad due to The Very generous Randy Hawkins and team AM-Pro racing! Chad's contacts dont come from Yamaha and it is a 5 major team deal, ITP, IMS, ELKA, Roll and Duncan. His major overall sponsor is AM-Pro racing with team manager and trail boss Randy. His team mate for ATV is Jeff Miller. He will be keeping all his other sponsors from last year like badger skid plates and all the others that were very good to him. As for Thad that is the Yamaha man to watch he has always gotten more than old dad, he is now in the Feb issue of Dirt rider, it took Chad many years of ATV racing before he made a major mag! As for all the contact $ totals its all in Who you have for your accountant at the end of the year. I know Chad and I couldnt do it with out ours!....LOL(cc.susie)

trick450r
01-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I am about 99% positive tim farr has a 1mil contrace while gust is somewhere between 1 mil and 2 mil this of course is budget you guys know that right?

trick450r
01-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I am about 99% positive tim farr has a 1mil contrace while gust is somewhere between 1 mil and 2 mil this of course is budget you guys know that right?

woodside83
01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
ya i know that i read that in dirtwheels mag that farr got a 1 million dollar contract and so did farr

z400ACDC
01-04-2005, 09:12 PM
You kids believe DW? :huh

jb500ex
01-04-2005, 09:18 PM
atv racers do not make 1 mill or more

01-05-2005, 02:36 AM
I think you guys maybe mis understanding the amount of money. It is extremely possible that these guys have million dollar contracts, hoewver is is not there salaray just for racing. I am sure most of that money is the teams money. Think of DG this season, he had 6 decked out race quads, probably worth 20gs. He received 6 of them throughout the season, that is 120grand right there. Plus all the money to pay his mechanics for everything, his hauler, entry fees, parts, practice time etc. They may have budgets of that much to cover expenses. BUt it is not all take home.

popo
01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by z400ACDC
You kids believe DW? :huh

My thoughts also. DW has nothing better to do than start some crap like this or the same boring pipe shoot out.

smr
01-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Kids...stay in school. Your not likely to get rich racing quads.

Some of the pros do make a decent living but remember many of them also have another source of income.

I hate the way the media can twist the facts around.

WOOLIN
01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Most the money Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki make from selling all those quads which is alot more than motorcycles goes to pay Supercross guys that's what's not right! Keep the money where it comes from!:grr:

coorsinmyc-bak
01-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by chad duvall
We congrats Bill on his Yamaha factory ride support and wish him well, Yamaha all around has been very good to our family in the way of Thad due to The Very generous Randy Hawkins and team AM-Pro racing! Chad's contacts dont come from Yamaha and it is a 5 major team deal, ITP, IMS, ELKA, Roll and Duncan. His major overall sponsor is AM-Pro racing with team manager and trail boss Randy. His team mate for ATV is Jeff Miller. He will be keeping all his other sponsors from last year like badger skid plates and all the others that were very good to him. As for Thad that is the Yamaha man to watch he has always gotten more than old dad, he is now in the Feb issue of Dirt rider, it took Chad many years of ATV racing before he made a major mag! As for all the contact $ totals its all in Who you have for your accountant at the end of the year. I know Chad and I couldnt do it with out ours!....LOL(cc.susie)

i would just like to take this time to thank BULTACO for all of their support,& wonderfull machines.if it wasnt for them giving me bikes this dream wouldnt come true.

KILLAQuad
01-08-2005, 01:02 PM
As an amature Xc racer i just want to say thank you reguardless to Bill, and EVERY OTHER pro or pro am rider out there.... they are the reason that our sport is still is growing like it is......(and the ones in the past as well)

Congrates to bill and i would love to see as many people pick up deals like he has.... if they pay him to ride who cares about the money.... when people start worring about the money then that will be when the sport will really get hurt..... :eek2:

xcyfz450
01-08-2005, 01:15 PM
the reason this sport of xc racing still exsisit is due to all of the non pro riders if we didnt show up every weekend they wouldnt have much of a race or nobody would be making money like the promoters and they would probably throw in the towel

KILLAQuad
01-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Yes that is true BUT.... the amatures are not the ones in the spotlights..... Try to understand where im coming from....

if the pros didnt carry themselves the way they do and do so much for the sport (in the spot light) then very few would be getting turned on to it......

Im not downsideing the amatures at all (I am one) .. and i understand what you mean... but no magazine or TV show has ever came to me and asked for an interview......

Rdogg450
01-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by KILLAQuad
Yes that is true BUT.... the amatures are not the ones in the spotlights..... Try to understand where im coming from....

if the pros didnt carry themselves the way they do and do so much for the sport (in the spot light) then very few would be getting turned on to it......

Im not downsideing the amatures at all (I am one) .. and i understand what you mean... but no magazine or TV show has ever came to me and asked for an interview......

Good Point!:cool:

Johnny_G
01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
WOW some ppl in this thread are sooooooooooo far off.

01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
You guys are killing me. 6 figure is very possible! low very low six figure. but million??? come on are you guys serious. is there actually anyone on this site that beleives that any of the pro contracts are for a million or more? WAKE UP!!!!!!

jb500ex
01-10-2005, 03:39 PM
i think it's a bunch of kids that have no understanding of money yet.

KILLAQuad
01-11-2005, 08:12 AM
IMO... i think there are only a few people that will truely know how much Double B is making..... that would be him his wife and their accountant.....

I just think it is nice to see the factories step'n up..... maybe in about 4 yrs i might be able to get one.....:huh ....... (dreammming....):D

cliq20
01-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
i think it's a bunch of kids that have no understanding of money yet.

I agree.

I wonder if I could get BB as my client sometime. I could do KY tax returns as well as IN. Then I could get a chunk of that $1 trillion salary...
LOL
:huh
:D