PDA

View Full Version : broken ball joint on burgard arms

Sprks450r04
01-01-2005, 06:32 AM
well i was riding and the left upper a-arm ball joint snapped in half. and it was only my third time riding it since i installed it and im pretty pissed off has this happened to any one else

Hammer trx450r
01-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Ball joints break period. What u need to do is cross reference to the automobile tierod and just get them at ur local auto parts store

Admin
01-01-2005, 07:28 AM
What offset wheels are you running?

TC426EX
01-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Thats why Im glad my Laegers dont use automotive tie rod ends... Theyre extra beefy!! I would try to contact burgard if they broke after only 3 rides and you can verify that. Maybe they will replace them maybe they wont. Balljoints are usually not a warrantied item since they do break like Hammer said. If youre running +1 offset rims it is true that it WILL put more stress on the balljoints, but not enough to snap them in 3 rides. I rode with offset rims on laeger +2's before I got my +3's w/ regular offset for an entire season and the balljoints were fine. And That was big jumps, and MX abuse too, not trailriding...

flyingbyfast400
01-01-2005, 10:59 AM
A buddie of mine runs burgard a-arms and it seems like he breaks ball joints often also. I know he's broke two ball joints for shure. One broke do to a crash. But thats going to happen with just about any a-arms out there, and the onther time he broke one that I know of.. was when sum of us where up to sliver lake, and it snaped on the way down a hill which caused him to biff it pretty bad.. I'm thinking one broke on him one onther time but i dont know for shure so dont hold me to it...
GooD luck with ur ball joints..
Vic

NikNacs67
01-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Do you guys know if Burgard ball joints would fit Laeger Cdale a arms?

Hammer trx450r
01-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Thats why Im glad my Laegers dont use automotive tie rod ends... Theyre extra beefy!! I would try to contact burgard if they broke after only 3 rides and you can verify that. Maybe they will replace them maybe they wont. Balljoints are usually not a warrantied item since they do break like Hammer said. If youre running +1 offset rims it is true that it WILL put more stress on the balljoints, but not enough to snap them in 3 rides. I rode with offset rims on laeger +2's before I got my +3's w/ regular offset for an entire season and the balljoints were fine. And That was big jumps, and MX abuse too, not trailriding...

Can u show me these beefy balljoints?

TC426EX
01-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
Can u show me these beefy balljoints?

Ill get out and get some pics soon and add them to this post...

NikNacs67... Just curious, but why would you want to run Burgard Balljoints in your laeger arms? Laeger makes the best standard balljoints by far. Is it a cost thing or something???
To answer your question though, I believe it depends what style and how old your laegers are. There are 2 styles of laeger a arms and the newer ones are the ones with the beefed up balljoint design. You probably could use the burgards in the old style laeger arms but I cant tell you for sure... Im sure Pappy, Izzy, or any of the other burgard experts on here could tell you though...

Pappy
01-01-2005, 01:06 PM
burgard ball joints are the same that LSR and Leager used to run, but they both have switched to the newer, larger style joints.

ive seen several lower ball joints break, usually because the user never fully seated the ball joint. uppers breaking is rare and the wider offset rims have been the thing to blame but usually an upper just doesnt break.

a new ball joint is less then $20 from the local napa store or autozone and IMO they all should be replaced atleast twice a year.

fasterz
01-01-2005, 01:50 PM
or just get arms with spherical bearings, i never have seen them break, mine are like new still

TC426EX
01-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I am not a fan of the heim joints on A arms at all... Maybe its just me, but aside from a protrax front end, I prefer standard ball joints...

QuAdEr 317
01-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I am not a fan of the heim joints on A arms at all... Maybe its just me, but aside from a protrax front end, I prefer standard ball joints...

why is that? have you had a bad exdperience with heim joints? if so what ahppened?

Sprks450r04
01-01-2005, 07:47 PM
my top ball joint broke and i am running stock wheels it has confused the hell out of me so far

seven
01-01-2005, 08:29 PM
The older style laegers and JD performance arms use a ball joint that you can buy at any auto store. The lonestar arms use a little bit bigger ball joint. I spent the extra money for lonestar this time just for this reason. The JD performance and laeger used one from a VW bug right tie rod end and the Lonestar uses a 79 ford courier tie rod end.

Admin
01-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Sprks450r04
my top ball joint broke and i am running stock wheels it has confused the hell out of me so far

Let him know, and I am sure he will get you a new one for free.

DEAL
01-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Do you guys know which automotive balljoints will work as upper balljoints for my jd performance a-arms?

kazpr
01-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Ok thanks for the info. I am looking into getting burgard A arms. Will get some spares then and change them every so often then.

seven
01-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by DEAL
Do you guys know which automotive balljoints will work as upper balljoints for my jd performance a-arms?
If its the older style Jd performance its the VW bug Tie rod end,Right side I believe.
Part Number ES419R

beak7707
01-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I seen a lower ball joint snap on burgard arms too, they didnt have much time on them either.

jdpdave
01-02-2005, 05:33 PM
jd performance has been using the new laeger bj's for about 2 years now. however, you can still get 400ex arms with the old or new style. the difference in price is $80.00. 450r arms are only available with the new style.

jdpdave
01-02-2005, 05:38 PM
for those jd perf balljoints, just call them. they cost $18 ea and they come plated so they wont rust. at the auto parts store, there about $23 and dont come plated. [they will rust].

busch light
01-03-2005, 12:46 PM
just wondering if ya can get the newer style balljoints to put in the burgard a-arms............IF not I got a set of nickle plated +1 burgards I will sell, :rolleyes:

Sprks450r04
01-03-2005, 05:06 PM
i have spoken with the guy at burgard and he said he would send me a free ball joint for free

Lethalhonda2
01-05-2005, 07:14 AM
So whats the deal with these aftermarket ball joints?Are they a poor quality bearing compared to a stock one?I have ran a stock front end (Elka shocks) on my 400 for 2 years (2complete race seasons) and I have never had a ball joint failure.This year I bought some long travel a-arms w/heim joints and they too with very little time on them came apart.I'm beginning to think that some of these aftermarket parts are poor quality and could potentially become a law suit if someone gets hurt.

NikNacs67
01-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Hey guys. I need help. I have the old style Laeger a arms and I need a ball or heim joint to replace the old one. Is there and automotive one I can use?

seven
01-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by seven
If its the older style Jd performance its the VW bug Tie rod end,Right side I believe.
Part Number ES419R

I am pretty sure this will work for laegers also.