PDA

View Full Version : Help! I might be burning coolant........

1stR
12-31-2004, 03:34 PM
I run Redline Water Wetter and water in my radiator. I didn't realize that Water Wetter didn't prevent water from freezing like anti-freeze. The temps got in the teens for a few weeks and I am nervous that the water froze in the head and possibly cracked the headgasket or head itself?? The motor runs awesome still, but the coolant in the reservoir decreases by about an 1/8 -1/4 inch after a full day of riding. Should I be concerned since the motor is running great, 100% of normal power etc? What would you do if you were in my position? Thanks guys, riding season is here for me an I am hampered by this problem.

BTW Prior to the cold weather, I never really payed much attention to the coolant level, so I am not 100% sure that before the freeze the coolant level stayed level, but I am nervous that there would be an internal leak.

kyex40047
12-31-2004, 04:12 PM
Start it, then look down by the water pump, check and see if there is water dripping out at the bottom of it. When I had a blown head gasket, the coolant level would drop in the radiator and it would overflow the recovery bottle.

1stR
01-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Anyone have any suggestions?

kyex40047
01-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Did any water come out of the bottom?

beerock
01-02-2005, 02:24 PM
if the motor is running fine just keep your eye on the resivior I use to have a drop in coolant in the resivior after a full day riding. I dont know how you ride but if you run it really hard it will use the resivior coolant to replenish it if needed. best way to fill the radiator is to fill it while the motor is running and then fill the resivior. if it goes lower then start checking for leaks. Im not sure if all the coolant goes back in the resivior or if it turns into steam and leaks out the coolant resivior through the top.

if you had coolant ileaking n the cylinder the bike would not run right and white smoke would come out the back.

beak7707
01-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree with beerock if you were burning coolant you would know it. It wouldnt be running right and it would smoke much more.

wilkin250r
01-03-2005, 10:38 AM
A bad gasket or cracked head will easily and quickly show up in a compression test.

As said before, if you actually had a water leak into the cylinder, you would see ungodly plumes of white smoke and steam shooting from your tailpipe, especially in cold weather.

Most likely if you've got a leak or breakage due to freezing, it would be in your radiator. It's possible to have a very small leak that only leaks under pressure when the motor and coolant is very hot. I'd start up your motor, get it running good and hot, and then look at your radiator for any signs of escaping steam.

slick250
01-12-2005, 07:27 PM
If it is using only a few tablespoons of water a day, you may not notice exhaust smoke.
My 250R never used water until I bought an ESR 330 kit for it...Then it started using a LOT of water. I called them about it and they said it was seeping through the aluminum casting and could be easily fixed with cooling sytem stop leak. I did not like the sound of that but did it anyway and have not had one single problem since then.
BTW...the bike doesn't overheat or have any ill side effects from the stop leak.
Use a good quality product though and do not overdo it.:cool: